Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [Community Megaproject] Oceanside Palace  (Read 2542 times)

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Community Megaproject] Oceanside Palace
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 06:52:01 am »

15th Opal, Mid-Winter

"Thats it! I'm tired of those naked moles stealing all our food! I chased the last one all over the site for a week! I never even got close to the bastard!" Sarvesh screamed out.
"Well our armor is heavy, and the wildlife will run at the first hint of trouble." replied Ragnar Thunderbeard, the assigned Captain of the Guard.
"Our stockpile being outside the camp isn't helping the problem either. I'll have the food moved in ASAP. And we should recruit hunters - they might have a better chance at catching those things."
"Nevertless, we still have more combat training to do, the both of us. The ocean provides us with all the food we could ask for."
"Tell me that when they're stealing my *Dwarven Cheese Biscuits*!!"
"Oh Sarvesh, I forgot to tell you. Bard beat you to the status of Legendary Miner."
"Darnit! When?"
"Last week, in the Gypsum mine."
"I'll have a chest build for him. Anything else?"
"Not at the moment."

18th Opal
Urist McCoy, Chief Medical Dwarf, has been struck down by a Giant Bat. The Giant Bat was named, then fled the scene at the sight of Mossbeard and Thunderbeard. Apparently Sarvesh is so afraid of Bats, he dropped his pick at the sight of the Giant Bat. Both the Upper and Lower body has been found and proprelly buried.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 07:13:20 am by Sarvesh Mossbeard »
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 07:10:39 am »

what. i thought dwarves could use alchohol for wounds now.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 07:13:49 am »

They use it to desinfect, not drink.
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 07:29:21 am »

Sigh, I never understand how people have trouble with the Cavern Creeps. I have yet to lose a Dwarf to anything other then my own mistakes. Trogs never prove a problem to me, and Trolls RUN from my Lone Axeman...

Put me down as a Warrior. Train him on Axe unless a Migrant comes with some Sword Skills...

Slashing weapons are the best atm, digs right into the flesh so easily cutting tendons and smashing bones. Don't take me wrong, its nice to see a combat log that reads...

Urist Mc'HammerTime swings the War Hammer, the skull is smashed through the brain...

If you are not 100% sure how to work the Military ask me kay I can give a hand...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 07:33:38 am »

Fully militarized Twin brother who strives to become the top ranking military Dwarf. BECAUSE IF YOU ARE ANYTHING BUT MILITARY YOU DO NOT GET MENTIONED BARELY. HAVE I SAID THE WORD MILITARY ENOUGH?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 07:37:10 am »

Yea the new military is hella confusing. I understand the squad - kill order, alerts, training in barracks. The problem comes with my two military dwarves being way too slow to catch potential threat.

Okay this is...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 08:10:28 am by Sarvesh Mossbeard »

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 08:18:24 am »

Lets start the bets. How many will die to the following Trantrum Spiral before the next migrant wave?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 08:26:51 am »

Ok do you know how to equip marksmen???
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 08:29:18 am »

Build Crossbow, make bolts, assign weapon. Archery Target. I think a quiver too.
What happened to the strenght/agility/etc stats from 40d? Is it still there, but hidden?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010, 08:40:21 am »

Hahah you wish it was still that easy...

First thing though, Traps are the best way to handle the moledogs while setting up some sentries. Only a Legendary Agile Dwarf can catch them these days, unless they take the wrong step and corner themselves...

Right
Step 1. Leather up some Quivers.
Step 2. Make a SHIT TON of bolts, if you are building above ground, destroy the forest more.
Step 3. Make the Crossbow.
Now by this stage thats all you need back in the old version. In this one... Here we go...

Step 4. Open Military Screen, press n, press c, (press N to name it something easy) Right Set up everything you need, best go with Leather Armour, Cloak, Leggings, Hood, Gloves, High Boots and Crossbow for the weapon, forget about adding a shield many people do by accident and nature, don't really bother...
Step 5. Press f, press down to the Squad of Marksmen, press c, press enter, press T to remove the green T symbol to the right. From now on, the Marksmen will use these bolts to Fight.
Step 6. Press c again, press enter. Press C to remove the Red C from the right, from now on the Marksmen will use these bolts to train.
Step 7. Define the Material needed for the Bolts, best just assign wood for both atm. After you get a good amount of Metals turned into bolts, turn the Combat Bolt Material into the Chosen Metal.

Now then, if you have an Arsenal Dwarf, and had been churning out enough bolts and all that, they should start collecting their gear. Watch over one of them to make sure.

Next to train them on off time...
Step 8. Build a Room for the Targets, built multiple Targets for saftys sake. Build rooms out of each target so that they overlap. (this may have been altered in the new set unknown and haven't tested it fully yet.) Assign each target to the Squad.

They should now gain the Target Shooting Skill, if they don't move, you ain't churning out enough bolts. I think the amount given from a single log has been reduced, and a Dwarf won't be bothered till there are 25 bolts ready for him to collect...

This should work, it did for me last for before 30.04 came out. Never had anything to shoot at that was killable, but the dwarves used the archery range... Good luck...

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 08:45:43 am »

And that... just makes me miss the old 40d military screen.

Simply activate, a legendary miner could slaughter any wildlife with ease.
Hunters would double as marksdwarf. And training in civilian skills made them stronger.
So much to catch up to. I miss my *adamantine pick*

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 08:50:05 am »

And that... just makes me miss the old 40d military screen.

Simply activate, a legendary miner could slaughter any wildlife with ease.
Hunters would double as marksdwarf. And training in civilian skills made them stronger.
So much to catch up to. I miss my *adamantine pick*
Oh you can still...
Open Military screen. Create a Squad for the miner, tell him that he can equip his pick. He will use it... Unless there is a better one back at the Stockpile so he'll head to go get it, see the beast. Look at the pick in his hand, think. "hmmm I could use this but I want that Masterpiece Pick all the way back over at the Fort. So lets just throw this one to the ground seeing as the beast is in the way... Oh the beast is attacking me. Best Wrestle it then, could have really use that pick at the Fort though..."

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 09:00:16 am »

So I underestimated the underground. Most of the stuff here either flies or open doors.

And he used a copper battle axe instead of his iron pick. what the heck?

And btw - 3 dwarves died setting up bridges and wall over the ocean. so...

((Fresh start. Pick a dwarf - same starting setup. Naming convention: Dwarven/Norwegian/Indian/etc.))
((Speed:0 for the first year so we can catch up and get the dam ready.))

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 06:46:23 pm by Sarvesh Mossbeard »

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 01:33:44 pm »

If the Jeweler is still free, I'll take him (or her, doesn't really matter. I've long ago given up on caring about the gender of the dwarves). Nickname: Oglokoog. Thank you and I wish you the best of luck, of couse.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2010, 07:01:01 pm »

((I made a few change to starting setup. The Mason/Carpenter is gone, replaced by Ragnar. Sarvesh will handle the Mason/Carpentry workshop until immigrants arrive. The Cook/Brewer is now a Farmer/Milker.))
((And please give the dwarves a decent last name D:))

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 07:14:57 pm by Sarvesh Mossbeard »
Pages: 1 [2] 3