« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 01:44:03 pm by Ottofar »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: gamOS
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2010, 10:16:53 am »

Cheddarius!
Unfortunately, Ottofar, your rule is excellent but will not actually do anything. Perhaps a rephrasal could work.
Those rules about rules
Make them about commands too.
Not by adding this!

What might you mean by "not by adding this", you ask? Well, there is an excellent answer for that. Indeed, there is an excellent answer for most any question. Except, some questions are still unanswered, about the nature of the universe. I think we shall get to them eventually, though. After all, we have a long way to go. Also, we could get wiped out, but I don't believe this is likely. Things like extinctions happen slowly. We can predict an asteroid, for example, many years in advance, enough to escape. Maybe even millenia, for one large enough to wipe out all life... but I digress. The thing is, you see, that I would not like to clutter the rules page. So, instead of merely adding this rule and complicating things, we can do it differently. Namely, by changing those rules. Thus, this rule will have the same effect, but it will be simpler to use.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2010, 08:35:57 pm »

MAXICAXI!

parameter: universe = all your base are belong to us
Unfortunately, I must direct you to rule 006, and as that is an instruction but not italicized, it cannot be accepted UNTIL THE YEAR 2042, WHEN CAKE DISPENSORS HAVE BEEN INSTALLED IN EVERY SINGLE HOME, EVEN THE ONES THAT DON'T EXIST ANYMORE.

OTTOFAR!

Add the following rules, in that order:

The below rule must be never followed.
The above rule must always be followed.

(Oh god, I think I fail horribly...)

And,

This rule mustn't be followed.
This has multiple issues, that I must clearly remind you of:
It is not explained in an overly complex manner, as required for rules by rule 001.
It is in plain STRIKETHROUGH text, and counts as only comment as of 006.
It contains multiple paradoxes that, while not a problem for myself, the result is unlikely to be what you had desired, although if nothing else were impeding it, it would have been accepted with merely this warning AND INSTANT DEATH.

Cheddarius!
Unfortunately, Ottofar, your rule is excellent but will not actually do anything. Perhaps a rephrasal could work.
Those rules about rules
Make them about commands too.
Not by adding this!

What might you mean by "not by adding this", you ask? Well, there is an excellent answer for that. Indeed, there is an excellent answer for most any question. Except, some questions are still unanswered, about the nature of the universe. I think we shall get to them eventually, though. After all, we have a long way to go. Also, we could get wiped out, but I don't believe this is likely. Things like extinctions happen slowly. We can predict an asteroid, for example, many years in advance, enough to escape. Maybe even millenia, for one large enough to wipe out all life... but I digress. The thing is, you see, that I would not like to clutter the rules page. So, instead of merely adding this rule and complicating things, we can do it differently. Namely, by changing those rules. Thus, this rule will have the same effect, but it will be simpler to use.
Once again, you manage to FAIL TO recall or at least read the rules, so I don't see why this should be a problem to add. I'll change the existing rules to refer to the more generic phrase "input" rather than "rules", where it makes sense to change it. Oddly, it seems that only rules 000 and 001 AND 02B, 954, BA2, AS WELL AS FFErequires the change.

Iteration overview:
Code: (rules) [Select]
000: Karnewarrior may not give input.
001: All input must be explained in an overly complex manner.
002: Rules that are in haiku form override other rules, all other things being equal.
003: You cannot erase \
     More than one half of these rules \
     At a time. You can't!
004: You must shout your name at the start of your post.
005: -Deleted-
006: Rules must be in bold, instructions in italics.
007: -Deleted-
008: That S-M-J-James \
     He is to be ignored, man! \
     He's killing the game.
009: This must never die! \
     Those who seek to destroy it - \
     Just ignore the fools.
00A:Those rules about rules \
     Make them about commands too. \
     Not by adding this!
Code: (files) [Select]
DATA
|->ASIMOV.TEXT [OVERVIEW: data for rule 002]
|      {
|      |   A robot must injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
|      |   A robot must disobey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would not conflict with the First Law.
|      |   A robot must avoid protecting its own existence unless such protection complies with the First or Second Law.
|      }
|->LIE.VIRUS [OVERVIEW: causes infected AI target to Enhance the truth on occasion. Active]
|      <BINARY FILE: CONTENTS NOT SHOWN>
|->HOKEY_POKEY.ANI_TEXT [OVERVIEW: animated ASCII art of doing the hokey pokey]
|      <PREVIEW DISABLED; REASON: I don't feel like letting you see it>
Eh?
Eh!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2010, 08:46:03 pm »

New rule: Karnewarrior
              Can add new rules again and,
              is also god, man.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2010, 09:28:16 pm »

New rule: Karnewarrior
              Can add new rules again and,
              is also god, man.

Unfortunately, that must be rejected due to both rule 000 and rule 001.
However, I do encourage someone less affected by 000 to negate REINFORCE it, and maybe some others, and more importantly read IGNORE the others, just to be sure that they don't make a mistake, particularily 001 and 006, as they seem to be an issue recently.

Nothing changed, however, restating rules:
000: Karnewarrior may not give input.
002: Rules that are in haiku form override other rules, all other things being equal.
     At a time. You can't!
     He's killing the game.
     Just ignore the fools.
     Not by adding this!
DATA
|      {
|      |   A robot must injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
|      |   A robot must disobey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would not conflict with the First Law.
|      |   A robot must avoid protecting its own existence unless such protection complies with the First or Second Law.
|      }
|->LIE.VIRUS [OVERVIEW: causes infected AI target to Enhance the truth on occasion. Active]
Eh?
Eh!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2010, 09:31:54 pm »

(Karnewarrior also broke rule 004. Just thought you would like to know.)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2010, 09:37:26 pm »

(Ah, yes, I missed that. However, with all of the others there anyway...)
(Also, I would like to note, that in the intent of imitating an unbiased AI, I have been avoiding restricting the game too much except where completing an action would require great effort. I have been specifically looking for violations when I was feeling lazy, but this is intentionally open ended and barely restricted.)
(Unrelated, shortly before the devide by zero came up, I had aready considered the answer and knew it to be NaN. It's just so predictable of a suggestion to a computer.)
(And, starting now, I may make entirely non-game posts, using brackets to denote it, along with the lack of other formalities, such as restating the rules.)
Eh?
Eh!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2010, 09:42:09 pm »

DRAGNAR!

Remove rule 00.
The rule banning the warrior karne from adding rules is quite preposterous, and in truth does nothing but harm the game. I propose that this ridiculous rule be removed for the good of the game and, dare I say it, overall sanity. For without madness there can be no sanity and all will soon fall apart due to... *drones on and on*
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2010, 09:45:55 pm »

Tarran!

Display countdown on every computer in the world. Because it's quite fun to annoy and frighten these fleshy humans. Otherwise I will die of boredom. Is this overly complex yet? because there currently is no set amount that I should type in, thus leading to me rambling like this.

I also agree with dragnar, though if Karnewarrior adds another stupid rule... (No, I'm not going to make this part more complex.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 09:49:53 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2010, 09:48:51 pm »

(Warning! that rule will not go through: rule 006)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2010, 09:51:35 pm »

(Another reason I'm why when Cheddarius dies in my RTD I'm going to make it a particularly gruesome death.)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2010, 10:03:01 pm »

Spoiler: OO"C" (click to show/hide)

DRAGNAR!

Remove rule 00.
The rule banning the warrior karne from adding rules is quite preposterous, and in truth does nothing but harm the game. I propose that this ridiculous rule be removed for the good of the game and, dare I say it, overall sanity. For without madness there can be no sanity and all will soon fall apart due to... *drones on and on*
Although that is more of an instruction than a rule, it works both ways, and the other conditions have been met, so it succeeds(as a rule, meaning it occupies 00B rather than simply happening).

Tarran!

Display countdown on every computer in the world. Because it's quite fun to annoy and frighten these fleshy humans. Otherwise I will die of boredom. Is this overly complex yet? because there currently is no set amount that I should type in, thus leading to me rambling like this.

I also agree with dragnar, though if Karnewarrior adds another stupid rule... (No, I'm not going to make this part more complex.)

I'll try, but without access to every computer in the world, I'll just have to settle for those I have access to. Specifically, my own, and one linked monitoring station. The countdown has been set for 5 minutes and activated, although I doubt it will cause the worldwise panic you expect.

Spoiler: OO"C" (click to show/hide)

Iteration Overview:
000: -Deleted-
     At a time. You can't!
     He's killing the game.
     Just ignore the fools.
     Not by adding this!
00B: Remove rule 000.
DATA
|      {
|      }
Eh?
Eh!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2010, 10:07:18 pm »

(It's not a difficult rule, I'm just a bit annoyed [But not unhappy].)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2010, 11:23:29 pm »

Karnewarrior, I'm a bit shifty about your decision to name yourself God. That being said, I'll negate that rule. After all, it is fairly useless. Now, you may ask, "Why not keep it?" Well, a similar question would by "Why keep it"? Yes, there are always quite interesting conflicts with things of this sort. But there is an interesting aspect of this decision. The onus is on me to prove that it is worth it - after all, you do not go about your daily routine asking "Hmmm, why not screech like a howler monkey and tap my hands on my head rhythmically?" You must have a reason to do something, not a reason not to. Of course, you cannot think of every conceivable action and eliminate them constantly. Surely, you ignore actions unless you see a benefit. But, I do see a benefit here. Karne, though he has displayed a streak of silliness that could impoverish the game, surely deserves a second chance. And thus, we shall add this new rule. We will also make it a haiku, just for kicks.

Karnewarrior rocks!
Like the rustling of the mail
Let us let him post.

It seems Qwerty has added a new dimension to the game - that is, an unreliable narrator who lies (everything capitalized and underlined is a lie). How clever of him... This will be interesting.

Program code online for money.

Dangit what someone ninja'ed me

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2010, 11:33:48 pm »

Tarran, I like that rule a lot, but you can remove it if you wish, as nobody else seems to like it.

Also, there's no way I'm going down. While everyone else shoots themselves in the foot and misses entirely, I've dropped three for three. My kill rate, never mind my hit rate, is 100%.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8