Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: a question about titans  (Read 1848 times)

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
a question about titans
« on: May 18, 2010, 04:42:09 pm »

My current fortress of 100 dwarves is under attack from a forest titan made of water. they have torn off both wings and the body wound is red, but the thing refuses to die. 20 dwarves in the military have been hitting it with iron and bronze picks for 20-30 minutes now, after it killed 4 dwarven children and a puppy. with it disturbing the production of everything as it's in the big middle of my fortress trying to nudge everything, my stockpile of booze and food is dwindling.

My question is simple in theory, but may be hard to solve without borking water in general for a moment.

Can this thing be killed?

amazingly, with 100 dwarves, 20+ free tamed animals, a troll ambush from a cavern, and the titan blocking everything, I'm still running at 130 fps. Thanks go to toady and baughn for 31.04. works like a champ.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a question about titans
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 04:49:30 pm »

Do you have any axes or swords in there? Axes or swords have the best chance to kill something.

But it is quite possible that you have one of the rare, unkillable titans, in which case there pretty much is no way to kill it except for getting a very lucky hit in and slicing it in two. To do that you will need a slicing weapon. Mining picks won't work.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 04:50:48 pm »

Is it a blob? Because they are unkillable by normal means, no matter what (they can't be sliced in two).

Time to break out the cave-in gun...
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 04:58:04 pm »

Is it a blob? Because blobs are impossible to kill. Most people consider this a bug, but I don't. How would you go and kill a sentient blob of vomit? Or one made of lapis lazuli?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 05:00:14 pm »

Magma? Cave-ins? Obsidian? Those are standard techniques.

But yeah, if it's not a blob, axes and swords (preferably axes for dwarfiness) are your best bet. Spears and picks are crap against the undead.

Is it a blob? Because blobs are impossible to kill. Most people consider this a bug, but I don't. How would you go and kill a sentient blob of vomit? Or one made of lapis lazuli?

See the first line of my post.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 05:16:47 pm »

I'm having mild problems caving in my main hallway, as the titan is breaking everyone that tries to pass. gotta love giant forest slugs made of water. also, i just had a brewer claim my forge. guess i'm running into more fun!

down under the 80 point on population, and i just carved out enough rooms for all of my dorfs, with a grand dining hall that is now covered in dorf blood. does that make it any more dwarfy?

edit:
this is the culprit's description

edit2:
tantrum spiral in effect. losses climbing.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 05:47:17 pm by rat_pack40 »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 05:38:07 pm »

Beware its webs. I smell a titan cloth sock industry.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 05:38:49 pm »

Yeah, you're screwed, unless you cheat and use DFhack.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 05:49:09 pm »

even the babies are going insane.
on the plus side i'll have an artifact from a secretive mood before everything goes under.

edit:
the brewer who claimed my forge made a brass cage. will it hold a titan?

edit2:
MIGRANTS!
the the fight moved outside, then migrants.
this is awesome to watch

edit3: i wonder what the migrants are thinking with 48 dwarves running around screaming outside of what looks like a smashed up stone hut, while a giant slug made of water picks them off one by one?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 05:59:26 pm by rat_pack40 »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 06:57:09 pm »

They're wishing the game's rules would allow them to leave in one piece.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 07:08:36 pm »

no such luck for them. down to 20 insane dwarves and one of my original 7, a mechanic.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 07:11:03 pm »

Try to have your farms/food walled off so you can save at least some of them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 07:24:54 pm »

The last time something like that happened to me, I had a moonstone forgotten beast.  I hacked off its stinger, mandibles and wings, and it was red all over the rest.  The FPS dropped to 15 and then somewhat lower before DF finally crashed. 

If I had even tried to drop the roof, I couldn't imagine how long it would have taken to dig out the appropriate cavern space..
igless

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 07:52:30 pm »

I have a hard time imagining exactly how regal a wingless water-slug can be.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 08:09:05 pm »

I have a hard time imagining exactly how regal a wingless water-slug can be.

I'm having troubles imagining how it wouldn't. They initial wings conjure fallen-angel like images. Add the appropriate blob-forms to it (long, capsule shaped body, red gel-eye...) and you have a fit.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.
Pages: [1] 2