Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: An introductory expedition, Ozsitethbesh (Crabcackle)!  (Read 3430 times)

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: An introductory expedition, Ozsitethbesh (Crabcackle)!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 05:24:18 pm »

Fuck yeah!

But you're in serious trouble without an expedition leader. You won't be able to assign nobles until you hit that 50 dwarf mark and get a mayor.

Also, GET INSIDE YOU DAFT DWARVES! SKELETAL GIANT EAGLES ARE SERIOUS TROUBLE!
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 05:25:37 pm »

Rest in peace, Negi and Lethe. At least I avenged you. Any of you skeletal bastards want a piece of me?!
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

eddy the lip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 05:26:28 pm »

I have about the same amount of DF time under my belt; just today I was thinking to myself it would be fun to do what you're doing, to instill terror in the new and merriment in the veterans. Good luck!

When you get an extra dwarf, if you would dwarf me Eddy, that would be awesome. I will try to die in an entertaining way.

Pterodactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 05:41:25 pm »

Will do!

Sadly, my Dwarf Fortress just crashed as I started designating Plump Helmets for the farm plot I'd just built. So, this unfortunately means I'll have to roll back (I feel a little sad that my heroic death as well as Diablous' vengeance will have never happened and that bastard Eagle will likely come back =/).

I give my sincerest apologies and I hope that no one thinks ill of me for having to roll back to the only save available. I'm going on break for about an hour, because I hate having to start something over and I've got something else I need to take care of really quick.

When I get back I will be setting it to autosave! So hopefully disasters like this can be averted. Negi and Lethe lives are at the mercy of all of you. Should you so desire it, I'll have them return to the land of the dead when I return! One way or another. If not, then I'll have them happily live out their second chance in life to the fullest. (Probably until they find that Eagle again.)

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 05:43:26 pm by Pterodactyl »

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 05:45:08 pm »

It's cool man. And let Negi and Lenthe live their lives.
To be partly feline,

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 06:27:06 pm »

I would like to be dwarfed.

Dwarf me as...A miner/mason (when you can)...Named...Well, I guess I'll try out "Linux".
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

CutieBard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 06:29:30 pm »

Nickname to be "Bard" when dorfed.

Pterodactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 07:58:02 pm »

I'm back! I came back a little early, so I thought I'd get a head start and have some awesomeness to show for it.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. I think I may have found a reoccurring bug. After much hassle, I got some stuff done, migrants arrived (joy!), and so I decided to begin the plantation of Plump Helmets, again. Currently, it's Summer. So I set Plump Helmets to be planted in Summer, I then go to set it so that it's planted in Spring as well, and as soon as I select Plump Helmet, I'm smacked with "Dwarf Fortress has stopped working". This was the case before, as well.

I feel that the gamecrashing and the rolling back has tainted the fortress far too much, what with dwarves being brought back to life. It's just simply unnatural, and I refuse to have zombies of fallen friends! Given the horrible circumstances, and not wanting to restart several times to find a workaround for the Plump Helmet Problem (that I've never before experienced or heard of), I'm regrettably informing everyone that Crabcackle will be relocated to a better (definitely more Fun filled) location. I'll be sure to save just before I begin planting Plump Helmets again to make sure that if it crashes, nothing is lost.

For the sake of the history books, none of the previous information on this thread will be altered, but instead, another post (in this thread) will be made, marking the renewal of Operation Crabcackle. I'll be getting straight to it, so stay tuned for updates!

I apologize greatly for such a big letdown! Anyone that's already requested to be dorf'd will still be included, so there is no need to have to ask again (unless you wish to be excluded ='[).

CRABCACKLE WILL LIVE ON! Even if only in spirit.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 08:07:25 pm »

Ouch.

I haven't had any farming bugs yet.

Actually, I didn't try any farming yet...

Are you using df 0.31.04? I am.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.

Pterodactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 08:14:15 pm »

I'm using the latest. The one that was just released in a forum post, resizable window and fish fix.

Here we are, beginning anew! Just to give you an idea of our new location, this time area is about three-fifths Sinister (Northeastern biome), and two-fifths Haunted (Southwestern biome)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've also decided to start Diablous off with some axe proficiency, since he's a woodcutter and happens to have an axe. He'll probably end up being the Militia Commander when the time comes. Somehow, nahkh ended up as Expedition Leader, but I'm not complaining.

Update:

Things seem to be going well. I haven't been checking for wild animals, though the one time I did check there was a skeletal alligator. I've been a huge rush to push everyone inside, and there happened to be a convenient sand area close by, so I won't have to dump anything off the first floor to be able to farm and stash my goods before getting a temporary barrier between us and the outside world!

Here's a zoomed out view. You should be able to see the ground being wet, thanks to a couple ponds.

Saving game before I try to plant those deadly Plump Helmets. Everything worked! Awesome.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:37:24 pm by Pterodactyl »

Pterodactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 11:05:31 pm »

Stopping for the night. Migrants arrived, boosting the population to 14! Lethe, a miner, died after channeling downward in preperation for my future dump chute. Apparently I dug too deep and hit the cavern, but it was still a few z-level fall straight into some water (that probably did nothing to cushion the fall). The result were some broken legs spraying blood, rendering Lethe unable to swim to safety and no immediate means of recovering her. In the end, she drowned.

RIP Lethe! I'll recover your corpse, some day.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 11:09:00 pm by Pterodactyl »

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 11:13:36 pm »

I see. Save before creating a squad, DF crashes every time I try to create one.

Sorry to see Lethe die.

eddy the lip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 11:34:45 pm »

I've been using 0.31.03, with only one military related crash, although it's crushing my framerate (this could be underpowered machine + WINE.) My understanding is that .04 isn't exactly....stable, leading to the wrong kind of Fun.

At any rate, stay the course! Strike the earth!

I've watched Star Trek. I don't mind the occasional continuity break :)

Pterodactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 03:47:06 pm »

I'm back! Who missed me?! Don't answer that.

So here's what happened over the last short while! I've made bedrooms, so far there's one for every dwarf (18 so far). The entrance to the fortress is secure from all land creatures, and will be made into a pitfall trap. However, currently two zombiegators have decided a stakeout at the entrance is in order, but that won't stop the mighty dwarves! We're going to continue with the construction of the bridge and send out Diablous to show them a good time (in faith that his axe will show them a thing or two). What could possibly go wrong?

In other news, nahkh has someone's love interest! Let's take a look at that, shall we?

Before I had seen the alligators zombiegators, there was a big cloud of miasma at the entrance. Turns out that the bastards emit a stink now and then! I had no clue.

Announcements:
CutieBard has been dorf'd as a female Engraver named 'Bard'! She's already smoothing our some walls down below.
Paulus Fahlstrom has been dorf'd as a clean shaven (closest I could find to bald, but still damn lucky!) female Brewer named 'KC'!

To Do List:
Grab a Mason for addictgamer and name it 'Linux'.
Grab a random dwarf for eddy the lip and name it 'Eddy'.*

*A dwarf likely to die in an interesting way. If not that, then at least likely to die. Military grunt? Probably.

If I missed anyone/anything, do tell!

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2010, 03:49:26 pm »

She's her own lover?
To be partly feline,

Pages: 1 [2] 3