Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: An introductory expedition, Ozsitethbesh (Crabcackle)!  (Read 3431 times)

Pterodactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An introductory expedition, Ozsitethbesh (Crabcackle)!
« on: May 18, 2010, 02:28:16 pm »

Hello hello! As anyone might notice, I'm new here. I'm new to Dwarf Fortress, as well. I dare ask for to be given a chance before being dismissed as an uninteresting peasant. I've spent many many hours over the past few days playing and rummaging through the Wiki, and although I've yet to experience any true "Fun" in Fortress Mode, I hope to remedy that NOW.

I've been through at least 8 fortresses already, abandoned due to dislike of design on my part upon learning new and cool things that I could have (or should have) done. This time, I wish to stay committed (and I feel that I'm ready enough) for hopefully a long term "Fun" filled effort. So, in light of this, I've chosen to embark on Terrifying (well, I think half three-fourths of it may be Untamed, but close enough) soil!

I may ask questions, newb questions, and all I ask is for a tiny bit of guidance on these occasions. In every case though, I'll always try to figure things out on my own, but for once I think I'd like to be able to seek aid. I'm at least confident that I'll provide some form of amusement for you scary veterans.

I'll accept dwarf naming requests, because the idea of doing so is awesome. I've already named three of seven.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, here's what we've got to start (nothing yet!):

All that aside, I read through the Deepspark thread and loved it and I can only hope my tale becomes at least a fraction of the amusing awesomeness that it is.

Forgive me for any novice mistakes! Now then, time to strike the earth!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: An introductory expedition, Ozsitethbesh (Crabcackle)!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 02:33:02 pm »

Ah, the enthusiasm of the innocent, tasty.

Dorf me as the planter please.

Pterodactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 02:58:31 pm »

Yay! I'm happy to have someone on-board so quick. Especially someone that makes so many babies. You've been dorf'd.

You won't have any work for a little while, until I mud up some area. I haven't gotten a bunch done, I'm slow and distracted easily, but I'll be sure to post an "On Break" message when I'm done for the day (which won't be any time soon). =]

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 03:03:29 pm »

Don't forget that aboveground farming doesn't need, mud, just soil so I could do that o long, or plant gathering, good luck!  :D

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 03:06:53 pm »

Make me the wood cutter, please.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 03:33:30 pm »

Dorf me as the carpenter please.

Are any river monsters of the skeletal variety? Any skarp, skippos, anything of that nature?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

CutieBard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 03:34:21 pm »

Mmm, carp flavored...

Once you get an (female) Engraver, can I have her? I'm willing to wait.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 03:41:30 pm »

I approve of this.
Dorf me too.

Are you open to suggestions? Because I've noticed that it's actually easier to play if you dig down to the first underground cavern and settle there. Although that kinda requires that you can put together an armed militia within one year and arrange adequate guards and patrols. Still, it's way fun.

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Pterodactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 03:48:10 pm »

Skeletal Mountain Goats gave us a scare from the other side of the river, thank the dwarven gods that they couldn't swim, though. I'm in a rush to get everything into the not so safe depths (but at least we won't get ravaged by undead goats). The first underground cavern was struck (though I got two messages, so does that count as a second even though the two are pretty much connected?).

I started digging my Dump Chute down to the cavern, future location of an atom smasher. Suddenly, Negi (that one be me) was attacked by an Elk Bird! Blood was sprayed everywhere, and at first I was afraid that it would be my own. But as it seems now, a Copper Pick is more than enough for the skull of a silly Elk Bird!

Diablous has also been dorf'd, and is currently cutting wood topside amongst the scary undead goats! Urist Imiknorris is dorf'd and currently hanging out in the probably-safe meeting area below ground, and will have work sometime soon. I'll be sure to make the first female Engraver yours, CutieBard!

There are currently no skeletal aquatic creatures in the area, just goats for now!

Woah, getting more responses before I even finish posting. Woah, I <3 you nahkh! Your tale inspired me! Having your approval is just..... love. I take it you don't mind which dwarf you're given, then? Lucky! Last spot available, you'll be digging with me and Monkey.

Yes, I am very open to suggestions. Throw them at me, guys! I'm not saying I'll approve any, but who knows? It'll be a learning experience!

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 04:06:03 pm »

Ok, since you've struck the first cavern and you've been accosted by the terrible undead aboveground, I seriously suggest you move all your stuff to the first cave. There's water, right? If not then dig deeper until you find some.

Some suggestions, in no particular order:
The underground is really confusing to navigate in. I suggest you cordon a clear area for yourself, around 40x40 squares should give you enough space for cave mushrooms and farming, then try to divide the caverns into more manageable sections. That can wait though.
You should immediately build a water reservoir that's completely separate from the water pools. You don't want stuff swimming in your water supply (although I'm told wells magically clean the water anyhow. Never tested this so be at your own risk.)
Don't put your stockpiles in the cavern floor, that'll stop the mushrooms from growing.
Don't isolate yourself completely from the rest of the cavern. Some sort of a gate is a Good Thing. You don't want the Forgotten Beasts to stack up like they do in Deepspark. Occasionally send patrols out to wipe out any pesky creatures inhabiting your caves. And they are your caves.
Get a working military. Train those dwarves up, get em good gear. Here's the kicker: Don't send em out in a huge swarm. One poisonous creature could kill off your entire military that way. One champion is usually able to kill everything by himself. Make plans on how to kill specific FB's.
You can supplement your diet by gathering plants that grow in the caves naturally. There's all sorts of stuff there.
Make your military dwarves clean that blood off before returning to the fort. I can't stress this enough: You do NOT want blood splatters around the fort, not with the poison system in this new version. You'll wind up with dwarves with rotting limbs. On a related note, don't let animals wander freely around the fort. Lock em up in some room or pit somewhere.

Hope this helps.

And yeah, any dwarf will do. A miner is perfect.
In general, I find naming dwarves really helps in remembering who's who. The generated names are kinda hard to remember.

Love,
  -N

PS. Thanks for liking my stories :3

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 04:10:58 pm by nahkh »

Pterodactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 04:30:25 pm »

Ladies and gentleman, we have a problem. I accidentally maximized the window. So I minimized it back to the normal sized window screen. Now all I have is a black (responding) window. Any solution? Because I don't have a save yet, and I wouldn't be able to navigate blindly (because I don't even know if I'm still paused or whether or not I'm in the Esc menu).

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 04:33:25 pm »

Hit tab, hit space, jiggle the window, resize it a little bit, something.

It's likely to be just a glitch.

Oh and a practical bit of advice: Turn initial save on, backup on and autosave to seasonal. I believe they can be found in your df folder / data / init / d_init.txt

You might've done that already, but it'll save you a helluvalot of headaches later.

Pterodactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 04:39:21 pm »

I resized it in every direction possibled, jammed Spacebar and Esc a ton of times, moved the window around, fooled with the arrow keys, nothing. So in a last act of desperation, I pressed Esc and the arrows keys multiple times, hitting Enter.

The window stopped responding for a while. It's very possible I might have managed to save the game. It's also possible that I just abandoned. Lets find out!

Edit: Success!!!! (Maybe)

There is a save file and everything looks to be in order. So long as I wasn't mauled during my five minutes of blindness. THE SHOW GOES ON!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 04:42:05 pm by Pterodactyl »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 04:40:51 pm »

Yeah, I was about to post something like that but nahkh beat me to it. Ah well. I approve of your raw recruit status. I'll take a cook/brewer dwarf when you get one. Name him/her KC and have him be bald, preferrably. (If  you can manage it.)

Best of luck to you.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Pterodactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 05:20:37 pm »

Today is a sad day (for me). I have fallen in combat, luring a Skeletal Giant Eagle away from the other dwarves. Or perhaps, I fled like a pansy! Only the not to be soon forgotten Negi shall ever know!

In cowardice, or bravery, may I rest in peace!

And now Lethe, expedition leader has been slain (fuck!).

So, Diablous wasn't going to take any more of that. He went out and...

I seriously need to get my food and supplies below ground.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 05:23:09 pm by Pterodactyl »
Pages: [1] 2 3