Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Optimizing fun - bunkers, emergency rooms, and bolt-holes  (Read 4277 times)

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Optimizing fun - bunkers, emergency rooms, and bolt-holes
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 09:02:07 pm »

This thread is awesome. I'm loving all the different ideas and will be setting up something of the nature in my current fort.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 10:25:48 pm »

My plans are a cross between Gupo's and TCs.  I'm going to have a "Ah crap, shut everything down" lever.  This will shut every staircase, every hallway, every room in with floodgates.  Then I'm going to have each section have it's own lever so I can control where the occupants can go and what sections to keep on lock down.

Finally, I am going to have all the walls be hollow.  Every room and hallway will have a secret passage running parallel.  This way I can transport troops to quell an invasion, starve tantrums, stop a flood, or do pretty much anything I want.  Of course it will put all production to a complete and immediate standstill, but I'm hoping the control will be worth it.  It will be like this:
r|_|h
r|_|h
r|_Fh
r|_|h
r|_|h

r=room
|=wall
F=levered floodgate
_=empty space
h=hallway

Plus, this all gets even better when you think about the potential of flooding the tunnels and orchestrating "accidents" all over, or drowning problems in magma.  And what about HFS?  I could have demons stalking my dwarves just a single wall and floodgate lever pull away from complete chaos on anyone I choose...

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 11:44:37 pm »

Nice idea's, remember you should put some peons in with the nobles or else they will be kind of useless in there on their own.  Maybe the peons would revolt in the aftermath of the catastrophe and undertake a coup, walling the previous leader into a small hole to die the ignominious death of a failure.
A new glorious dawn of dwarfage will arrive with Urist McRegicide (previous known as Urist McMason) as leader cleansing remnants of the decadent past that had brought forth the downfall of the fortress.   

Or something like that.

Gas physics would be nice, so you could gas (and then ignite!! *drools*) the entire fortress easily since gas fills all available space or they would run out of air if sealed in without plants.
Vault idea is kind less fun without line of sight and fog of war though.  Since you know what's outside the vault there is no "when is it safe to come out?" question that is key to any vault survival scenario.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 10:00:17 am »

Floodgates aren't the best idea. Floodgates can be easily jammed open with even just a stray sock.

A drawbridge will crush anything in the way.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 10:11:10 am »

Except a drawbridge only crushes when opening, so you're safe to use it any time when shutting down.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 10:41:21 am »

Except a drawbridge only crushes when opening, so you're safe to use it any time when shutting down.
A draw-bridge also crushes on the tiles where a bridge becomes a wall.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Heron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 10:46:46 am »

Finally, I am going to have all the walls be hollow.  Every room and hallway will have a secret passage running parallel. 

Could you instead build a fort where every hallway has *four* secret passages running parallel?

One permanently filled with magma, one permanently filled with water, and two for walking either side.

In the event of disaster, some doors would go from closed to open, some from open to closed, and obsidian would form at hallway junctions.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 11:40:05 am »

In one of my 4od fortresses, I set up a massive secondary fortress under my first one, that could be sealed off easily.

I intended this area to be where a small segment of the population could survive and quickly rebuild, thanks to [CHILD:1]. When my forces had regenerated, I'd recapture the over-fort from whatever vile force had destroyed it in the first place.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 12:45:35 pm »

Just make sure you bring a few extra water chips. If yours breaks, you'd have to sent a vault dweller out into the wastes to try and recover another one...

Heheh, was just thinking that except in this case the vault wouldn't be designed by a morally ambiguous entity whose real purpose is to perform sadistic experiments on the unwitting inhabitants.

Oh wait.

Anyway I have invaders off and have had to restart before reaching the caverns (.31.x military/logistic bugs are neither fun nor Fun...) but before that I was using civilian alerts to create a couple of panic rooms combined with an "oh shit switch" that closed off the front door and exploratory mine shafts.  Still designing my fort(s) with that idea in mind for when the bugs get hammered out though.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010, 02:06:55 pm »

Clearly you are all doing this wrong.

You designate the burrow on the fly.  Like right where the creatures arrived.  Then you lock the doors after the dwarfs enter.  Profit!

igless

Fredson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 02:17:24 pm »

I did the same in my first fortress. I designated the baracks as a last hideout and gave it extra farms and wells.... too bad i forgot to lock the doors.
Pages: 1 [2]