Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Choosing a new family name for myself and wife.  (Read 8517 times)

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing a new family name for myself and wife.
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 01:53:31 pm »

The wedding is actually going to be a surprise for our families so we can't go to them. We do have assistant plotters though among our friends.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 02:00:34 pm »

I'm totally taking my girlfriend's name when we eventually get married. It's much better. I look at it as a form of plunder. Argh, I even be takin' yer name! And I'm a dude, so I'm not all rooted in patriarchy as a social norm.

That said, I've always felt pity and scorn (the portmanteaus of those are fun) for people with hyphenated last names. I imagine the man and woman sitting across a white breakfast table, stiff-backed in their uncomfortable chairs. Her hair is tied severely back. Her expression is callous. She breaks the silence to mention something about "the help". He drifts back from his thoughts: will he be able to slip away to the pub tonight? Secretly, the only remaining pleasure of this castrated man is when he in insensate with drink. The dry, intense woman has no pleasures. They will die one day, and other people will haggle over their antiques.

Maybe just pick a new, awesome name that has nothing to do with either one?

Wrathwright? Bullroarer?

Remember you're gonna be stuck with this. If you end up with something flowery, take the opportunity to change your middle name too. "Danger" or "Sex" are great choices.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 02:04:10 pm »

Well technically I'm South American so my last name should be something like Machado Sorge if we were doing lineage, but my grandmother changed my dad's name too when she remarried.

Edit: And Emily has me play DF on the bigscreen tv so she can watch, so I think I'm safe in my choice overall ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:06:16 pm by riznar »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 02:06:15 pm »

Well, the original purpose of a name is to track lineage, and identify someone and their family when first names often overlapped. You could choose one or the other of your family names, and give your children the middle name of the other parent, as they do in many countries outside of the Western world.

Alternatively, look into the roots of your last names, and invent a new one in either language that combines their meaning. Metzger is German, and I believe it means Butcher or Meat-Seller. Landreth is of Gaelic origin, and was a locational name, meaning "dweller near open land/forest," and was used to denote where an ancestor held their property (apparently there's a Landreth Coat of Arms too).

If none of the above options appeal, you might consider comming up with a new last name, which describes the sort of land or place where you will be living, or where you met, or perhaps something that does or will define what you and your family hope to be doing. Do some etymology research, and come up with a new last name together.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 02:09:00 pm »

Well, the original purpose of a name is to track lineage, and identify someone and their family when first names often overlapped. You could choose one or the other of your family names, and give your children the middle name of the other parent, as they do in many countries outside of the Western world.

Alternatively, look into the roots of your last names, and invent a new one in either language that combines their meaning. Metzger is German, and I believe it means Butcher or Meat-Seller. Landreth is of Gaelic origin, and was a locational name, meaning "dweller near open land/forest," and was used to denote where an ancestor held their property (apparently there's a Landreth Coat of Arms too).

If none of the above options appeal, you might consider comming up with a new last name, which describes the sort of land or place where you will be living, or where you met, or perhaps something that does or will define what you and your family hope to be doing. Do some etymology research, and come up with a new last name together.

Isn't that what the OP is already trying to do?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 02:10:45 pm »

That's just taking the sounds and recombining them. The meanings are lost, since they're from multiple languages, and are being taken in mid-syllable... and Meatforest might be a bit too RNG for the long run.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 02:27:17 pm »

McCool?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 02:29:25 pm »

Von Silverhammer. Dameon [middle name] Von Silverhammer? Hell to the yes.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 02:37:11 pm »

Those kids may run into some trouble if you give them both semi-exotic first and last names.

Of course, I feel obligated to suggest having the last name Maton, so your kids can be Otto and Anna

Edit: Or Tetra with the middle name Grahm
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:40:09 pm by smigenboger »
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 02:42:34 pm »

Von Silverhammer. Dameon [middle name] Von Silverhammer? Hell to the yes.

(Potentially :P) Argentina? Von Silverhammer? RAAACISM!!
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 02:44:32 pm »

Tetra as a first name is even more exotic than whats already been mentioned by the OP, which aren't particularily exotic.

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 02:48:44 pm »

I'd describe the girl names as rare, and Damian/Dameon as merely uncommon.

Emily was tickled by Meatforest.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 03:05:28 pm »

If you aren't too shy about it, what region are you from? I'm not too keen on how uncommon last names are to Non-Americans.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 03:09:58 pm »

We live in the bible belt of the USA actually =\

Edit:
I'm of Irish/Venezuelan descent, I have no Landreth blood in me.
Emily is of German descent.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:12:02 pm by riznar »

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 03:14:51 pm »

Ouch.

Sucks to be you.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6