Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Remove the need for Irrigation  (Read 3774 times)

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
Re: Remove the need for Irrigation
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 11:12:48 am »

Right now, everyone DOES play the same way, because we can't change the source code. Water your farms or get your food elsewhere.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 02:24:51 pm »

Ultimately this is a bug and because it is hard coded, toady needs to fix it (unless he likes it I guess). He might actually leave it because he has been saying forever that he might want booze to require some water (kind of makes sense). We will have to wait and see.

Because it is hard coded, we cannot mod around it easily.

The only thing I can think of to mod around it is a custom workshop "mushroom grove."

It trains grower skill, and provides a small amount of plump helmets.

One for each type of underground crop.

However, this is also clunky because you could technically put it anywhere (even stone). Hum, I wonder if you could require 1 bucket of water as a reagent.... Further, unless you could somehow put a cooldown timer on it, you'd get tons of quickly produced plump helmets....

This is, however, about the closest thing to a farm I can think up currently.

Should I bother making the raws?

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 02:48:32 pm »

Well, mushrooms grow on dead or rotting matter anyway, so I guess you could require a whole load of body parts or wood, or whatever to grow some mushrooms. A bit unrealistic, I suppose, with the instant growth, but at least you'd need to put some work in.

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 03:58:03 pm »

Well, mushrooms grow on dead or rotting matter anyway, so I guess you could require a whole load of body parts or wood, or whatever to grow some mushrooms. A bit unrealistic, I suppose, with the instant growth, but at least you'd need to put some work in.

I like the sounds of that, it'd be a good use for vermin remains and other such refuse.
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 04:52:01 pm »

Yeah...I'm not sure if vermin corpses ended up being usable as reagents. I'll go look into it...

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 05:42:52 pm »

You could give dwarves no eat/drink tags
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 07:19:02 pm »

Vermin remains would be a wonderful idea. Unfortunately the coding specifics are problematic and it doesn't work as far as I know.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2010, 07:26:02 pm »

Yeah, exactly. Basically, it'd just be the Crematorium building that's been kicking about on the forums, but the reaction produces a plump helmet, or whatever instead of nothing. Problem is, I'm not sure if that worked at all.

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 07:54:45 pm »

Yeah, exactly. Basically, it'd just be the Crematorium building that's been kicking about on the forums, but the reaction produces a plump helmet, or whatever instead of nothing. Problem is, I'm not sure if that worked at all.

Vermin Remains can be used as reagents.. just can't grab information from them like you can with animal parts.

Link to the Crematorium is located in my signature.. you can use any code from it as you wish.
Current modding project:Tyranids 2010
Past modding projects:
DF2010: Crematorium
40d: ‼TYRANIDS‼
Quote from: Dark Pegasus
Just when I thought I couldn't despise him any more... He finds a whole new and undiscovered way!!

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 04:51:15 am »

I wouldnt say that this irrigation business is a bug.

Broken slightly, yes. But not a bug. surface farming should not need irrigating to be used, soil directly under that shouldn't either. Any further and yes it should.

Besides like SOOOOOO many people have said its not hard irrigating something and if you are finding it hard then you haven't been playing DF long enough. There are tons of things much harder/buggier than draining a pool into a room then resealing it.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 05:36:30 am »

Broken slightly, yes. But not a bug. surface farming should not need irrigating to be used, soil directly under that shouldn't either. Any further and yes it should.

Besides like SOOOOOO many people have said its not hard irrigating something and if you are finding it hard then you haven't been playing DF long enough. There are tons of things much harder/buggier than draining a pool into a room then resealing it.

It is a bug.  It is not the behavior Toady currently intends for the farming system, therefore it is a bug.
And all farms, eventually, should require irrigation based on rainfall and drainage values.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 08:19:48 am »

Basically, it'd just be the Crematorium building that's been kicking about on the forums, but the reaction produces a plump helmet, or whatever instead of nothing. Problem is, I'm not sure if that worked at all.
Link to the Crematorium is located in my signature.. you can use any code from it as you wish.

Ooooh. Awkward

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 09:09:11 am »

The crematorium works wonderfully.  I would say you should use wood though.  Shiitake mushrooms, at least, feed on deciduous bark.  That way it'd also be a good trade of resources.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 09:50:26 am »

It is a bug.  It is not the behavior Toady currently intends for the farming system, therefore it is a bug.
And all farms, eventually, should require irrigation based on rainfall and drainage values.

And that is exactly what I wrote. >.> "surface farming should not need irrigating to be used, soil directly under that shouldn't either. Any further and yes it should."
Unfinished is the proper term. Hardly a bug.

If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 12:21:02 pm »

The crematorium works wonderfully.  I would say you should use wood though.  Shiitake mushrooms, at least, feed on deciduous bark.  That way it'd also be a good trade of resources.

Yeah, I was also thinking about having to trade overground plants, to be turned into mulch for the mushrooms. Problem is what a bitch it would be to get the food out of the barrels it's inevitably put in for the reaction.
Pages: 1 [2] 3