Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Remove the need for Irrigation  (Read 3770 times)

laylong

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Remove the need for Irrigation
« on: May 18, 2010, 10:15:06 am »

I have seen tons of different mods out there for every facet of the game. But I have yet to find one or a way to disable the change whereby  you need to muddy ground to grow anything. Is there any out there? Or could someone provide the settings I would need to mess with?

Thats change really ruined the game for me.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
Re: Remove the need for Irrigation
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:47:17 pm »

plant above ground or irrigate, there is a few easy steps on the wiki for irrigation that it shouldn't be a bother.
think soil layers let you grow just fine unless someone can verify or give better help/info.

Tiphareth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 03:11:46 pm »

The irrigation thingie is a bug.

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 03:13:22 pm »

plant above ground or irrigate, there is a few easy steps on the wiki for irrigation that it shouldn't be a bother.
think soil layers let you grow just fine unless someone can verify or give better help/info.
No, you need to muddy everything -- even soil -- to grow anything underground. Exception being the caverns, they start muddied so you don't need to irrigate them. It's been 'confirmed' as a bug, so hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

For the time being, though:
The simplest way to irrigate though, is to use a muddy pond. Dig a large chamber (this will be your farm) close to a muddy pond. Put a door on it, then breach the pond. Wait a little while for the water to evaporate, and then you're done.

Example:
Spoiler: easy farm (click to show/hide)

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 06:30:07 pm »

Filled with Magma!

... How long have I been away?

JusticeRings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 06:53:55 pm »

I try really hard to always have a river on hand for well/irrigation. It is a pretty simple matter to get two flood gates hooked up and watering a room.

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 06:55:59 pm »

is there a way to mod that need away? I mean... I could always set up a smelter to make plants out of nothing, but that's a little cheating...

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 07:05:35 pm »

You could just gather some plants and set up an above ground farm.  Its sounds crazy but it works (I think).
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 07:07:13 pm »

I have always used at least some sort of above ground farm for food and booze variety for my dorfs.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 07:09:53 pm »

Seriously guys, you're overthinking this. It's not hard to just dig out a murky pool and let it drain out into a sufficiently sized room, and then shore up the murky pool again with walls/floors/whatevers. Why would you mess around with smelter reactions or modding to get around a requirement that's so painfully easy to fulfill? Unless you're in a desert or something, in which case, well, you embarked on a freaking desert, so don't expect to get food easily in the first place.

I mean, it's not like there aren't about a half-dozen other ways of getting food. You can hunt/trap animals, raise animals and butcher them, gather plants, bring sufficient food from home to last a while, grow above-ground crops, import food, and possibly one or two I forget. And now, with the way butchery works in the recent versions, killing a relatively small number of animals can keep a fort going for a very, very long time.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 07:12:28 pm »

Too long for my taste, can you make dwarfs eat more? lol.

Though, it's totally possible to embark on a site that has neither animals nor water.
(though, getting everything costing two or less, you are pretty much set for over a year right now.)

... How long have I been away?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 07:22:20 pm »

I've irrigated farms with bucket brigade before. It works fine, and isn't so hard if you consider that you need farm space proportionate to the number of dwarves you have - so you can just expand as you get more bucket haulers and re-muddy.

laylong

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 08:35:52 am »

Lord, all these replies and all I get from it is getting called lazy.

I asked for help, not some half assed opinion. You must be retarded to think everyone plays this game the same way  :o

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 08:39:52 am »

I asked for help, not some half assed opinion. You must be retarded to think everyone plays this game the same way  :o

No, you were given alternatives because what you asked for is a way to mod around a bug.  There isn't one.

Tiphareth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 10:12:45 am »

Go sod off, we aren't your personal army and we aren't here to fix your issues. If you want advice, take it. If you do not want it, shut it and go fix it yourself. You have absolutely no right to insult anyone because you can't get your head around the search function.
Pages: [1] 2 3