Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another damn non-starter mood  (Read 948 times)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Another damn non-starter mood
« on: May 18, 2010, 09:01:01 am »

The stupid kid has everything he asked for, up to and including all 10,000 pounds of forgotten beast shell(out of which he'll probably make one stupid mug) but isn't doing anything.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:07:18 am by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: Another damn non-starter mood
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 11:01:59 am »

I bet he doesn't have enough shell.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 02:43:05 pm »

I bet he doesn't have enough shell.

i lol'd. also, if the 10,000 pounds of forgotten beast shell is a single item, it could be true. fun, that.
got any forgotten beasts left to slaughter?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 03:13:13 pm »

It's easier to kill the kid if his mood is useless anyway. As fas as I noticed, mood trigger is calculated based on total artifacts, not moods, so you'll get another mood later without having to increase your fortress wealth\revealed tiles. By the time of that "later" eliminate the most common troubles with dealing with moods: catch some turtles if you don't have enough shells, make sure dwarves are happy since unhappy thoughts tend to cause more possessed moods, build cave-in machines over it-is-useless-anyway types of workshops to stop unwanted moods fast, get yourself a legendary dining room to prevent tantrums.
By the way, some parts of what I said above are the reflection of my personal opinion, which I tested for just four years in only one fortress, so it's not a reliable information.

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 05:42:50 pm »

The DF wiki also has some tips for dealing with mood-related "features" including a couple of quick and dirty raw modificiations to resolve the shell issue.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 05:48:10 pm »

Burrows, last I heard, caused issues with moods if the dwarf is using a shop outside the burrow to which he was assigned. Or maybe if the items he's picking up are outside the burrow he's working it, I forget exactly. In any case, if the issue is that he's constantly picking up tons of the same component, it's probably that.

Unless by "10,000 pounds of forgotten beast shell" you just mean one stack that weighs as much as the original beast, well, you're probably still missing other parts that he wants. What's next from what he last picked up in his list of demands? If it's more "body parts" he probably wants another stack of shell, independent of what he already picked up.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 05:57:55 pm »

Did you alter cows to have shells?

That way he could say MORE COWSHELL!  *MORE COWSHELL*!
igless

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 05:28:25 am »

He already has everything?  In the workshop?  That would be very strange.

But if it seems like he shouldn't be complaining about missing pieces, then...

Is he asking for Rock?  For some reason, the game has gotten confused about what is rock and what is metal.  So if he's asking for Rock anything, but it's something you don't have in metal, try making it in metal.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 08:59:10 am »

He has everything already in his shop.  I've already slaughtered plenty of shellcows for him(he made three trips just for bones).  I'll sacrifice one more but then the tyke's out of luck.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 09:02:10 am by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 01:23:11 pm »

Is the kid assigned to a burrow? Is the material the workshop is made of forbidden? Is the workshop outside while your dwarves are ordered inside?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 01:50:40 pm »

and cut gems. Never know when you need a cut gem!
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 02:09:02 pm »

Has he got access to more than one of everything?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 05:23:03 pm »

I'd say park a war bear next to him and wait for a better mood.  10,000 pounds of forgotten beast shell would make an epic warhammer or a pretty lame amulet.  Edit: and yes, one 10k shell still only counts as one shell.
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...