Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suggestions on how to enliven a boring, stable fort?  (Read 1110 times)

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestions on how to enliven a boring, stable fort?
« on: May 18, 2010, 08:04:17 am »

Clearly I am doing something wrong.  I recently had a fort (I abandoned it in the end), where nothing really happened.  I had one siege, a couple ambushes, all of which were easily addressed by my marksdwarves and champion wrestlers.  Even the demand for bisumth bronze only resulted in one death.

What I want is to create a mass-suicide machine.  I envisioned a legendary meeting hall, with a statue garden, lots of spikes and a level on repeat pull.  Alternately, has anyone expericmented wtih  spikes in a central location/ well traveled location, and pressure pads?  I am considering a hallway of spikes with pressure pads that leads to the only drink stockpile.

Any advice?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions on how to enliven a boring, stable fort?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 08:10:41 am »

Hi!

Judging from your description, you are playing 40d or 40d#. 31.03 or 31.04 should offer you a lot more outside challenges that are guaranteed. And half of them can be triggered by your own actions (digging), so you are not on the mercy of goblins who are too scared to siege.

I know you asked about killing your own people, but that is not something I am dealing with in my fortresses.

Deathworks

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 08:30:39 am »

Yes--using 40d.  My machine is old, so things were getting slow.  One possibility that suggested itself was to thin out the ranks a bit.

Unfortunately, the little buggers were happy and did not die, tantrum, or do anything.  The solution--a Jonestown style mass suicide.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 10:05:26 am »

Megaprojects.  You need cast obsidian towers much bigger than any dark fortress. You need aquifers and magmafers, a sewer system. Adventure mode puzzles, and deathraps. Flood the fortress lever, Drain the fortress lever.  Glowing pits if have them should be uncovered. Also grand tombs and interesting architecture.

Once that's done, mass suicide or simple abandon should be fine.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 10:17:28 am »

Megaprojects FTW.

One I tried was a skyway project (not too big, more of a mini-project)

One I heard of was a orbital magma dropping device: pump magma up to top floor of a constructed system that can then drop the magma onto any point on the map.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

HebaruSan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 10:21:43 am »

Try tearing down the legendary meeting hall. This can make losing a dwarf or two to sieges far more consequential, if that's what you want.

I had a miserable dwarf murder my mayor during the meeting where they were talking about his feelings, in such a fort. Which I guess is awesome in a way, but I had invested a bit too much into the architecture to see it that way at the time. :)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 12:42:33 pm »

I had a miserable dwarf murder my mayor during the meeting where they were talking about his feelings, in such a fort. Which I guess is awesome in a way, but I had invested a bit too much into the architecture to see it that way at the time. :)
I suppose you had one insensitive mayor.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 12:46:24 pm »

I am really suprised this has not been mentioned yet so here goes...

!!MAGMA!!
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 12:53:29 pm »

Drop a few tiles through the fort, top to bottom. Punch into hell with it.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 03:27:31 pm »

!!MAGMA!!

I suggested orbital magma bombardment. :) Other people suggested cast obsidian projects.

But yes, magma is always fun. And usually FUN too.

WIKI has examples:  http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Mega_construction
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:29:05 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 06:01:37 pm »

Well I found that whoever recommended making cats aquatic to quickly eliminate a cat problem, had good advice.

However the cat owner's are not so appreciative.  tantrums, fist fights, fighting, dying, friends and wives grieving, further tantrums... good times!
igless

Atredies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 09:14:43 pm »

another idea is orcs. 
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=26858.0

that's a great mod, but you need to generate a new world to put them in as their own civilization.
what you could do in this world is just edit the goblin size and damblock, and give them [TRAPAVOID] , [BUILDINGDESTROYER:(1or 2)] and anything else you can think of, then wait for the ambushes and sieges to start.
Tarn Adams: My favorite bugs are the one where the farmer walked over to the furniture stockpile, grabbed a bed, walked over to his farm and planted it, and the one with the injured hammerer. When both of his arms were broken and he was unable to hold his hammer to administer Dwarven Justice, he still went ahead with the punishment, but he bit his victims. This included shaking his head vigorously and tearing their arms off, which he then held in his mouth for years.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 09:36:54 pm »

Build a ceiling across the entire map, connected to a single pillar, to block out the rays of the filthy sun.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Illeist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 10:46:26 pm »

Change the [POPULATION_NUMBER] and [CLUSTER_NUMBER] of giant cave spiders to 100:100 and add [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER] and [LIKES_FIGHTING].

This means an epic showdown of the ages between your dwarves and the encroaching, hungry spider hoards.
Toxic Blood: For all your FPS worries

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 11:19:57 pm »

Build a ceiling across the entire map, connected to a single pillar, to block out the rays of the filthy sun.

Did that. DF couldn't handle it when someone collapsed the whole thing.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: [1] 2