Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Why aren't my alligators breeding?  (Read 1530 times)

subbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Why aren't my alligators breeding?
« on: May 18, 2010, 07:44:01 am »

I have three alligators I purchased from the Elves:
Alligator (Tame) - Female x2
Alligator (Tame) - Male

I purchased all of them at least 4 years ago and placed them first on chains, then in a (Light, aboveground) pit with 1/7-3/7 water, but I have never had any hatchlings appear. 

Other animals are breeding just fine:  jaguars, horses, dogs, muskoxes, grizzly bears.  Other animals are in one-tile chained pens, but I pitted the Alligators 2 years after purchase in case they needed water to breed.

Possibly related?  The Alligators don't appear in my Animals list through the (z) Stocks list.  They do appear in the (q)->(a)ssign menu for cages, chains and pits.

Calm/Good biome, init-capped at 44 dorfs with Temp off, 40d16 (Mayday). 
Some Raw changes:  changed color of Microcline, made Jaguars trainable to war animals, reduced population of flies so I could actually see my food stockpile.
After you get done trading, just give it away as a tribute. It'll really boost public perception of your fort if your dwarves are willing to give people the chert off their back.

Rawchief

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Why aren't my alligators breeding?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 09:45:32 am »

I am having a similar issue with my Rhesus macaque's I purchased from the Elves.  I have two females and one male and they refuse to make little monkey babies.  I have had them roped up right next to each other.

I suspect whatever issue you are having is the same with my macaques.  They also do not appear under the animals list when pressing Z. 

Krumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:58:36 am »

Clearly the elves sold you bad goods.
Only in Dwarf Fortress could you get 4 armed heads scuttling about on cavern roofs.

subbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 10:25:45 am »

Krumbs:  I have been drowning the Elves regularly in an attempt to make them siege me, this must be their revenge.

Rawchief:  Do your macaques show up on the Unit list?  If they do, do they show as "Stray Rhesus Macaque (Tame)," or as "Rhesus Macaque (Tame)"? 
My Alligators are on the Unit list as "Alligator (Tame)," not "Stray Alligator (Tame)" and I'm wondering if that is a clue or just the way Alligators are supposed to be...

Do you have DC?  If you do, we could compare some of the flags on our "defective" animals from DC with flags on "functional" alligators and rhesus macaques from someone's working 40d breeding scheme - see if maybe it's something in there.  I had a fertile macaque pair in an old fort, let me poke through the seasonal backups and see if I can pull one up.

Could someone with a known fertile tame rhesus macaque pair and/or Alligator pair in 40d weigh in on the following questions?

1:  How do your known-fertile animals show on the Unit list?
2:  Can you work with us on some DC poking to see the differences between our infertile animals and yours?

Thanks!
After you get done trading, just give it away as a tribute. It'll really boost public perception of your fort if your dwarves are willing to give people the chert off their back.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 10:31:54 am »

Alligators are exotic pets, meaning you normally need a Dungeon Master in order to tame them. If you don't have a DM, it's possible the game has gotten confused and thus isn't marking them as Stray.

Similar reports have shown up in 0.31.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

subbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 10:57:38 am »

Strange, since they came in tame from the Elves... does that mean if I push my pop cap to 50 and get the DM, they may start breeding?

Here are the flags from my pair of tame breeding RMs (currently chained in pens) in a different fort.

Female:
Working?
0x8.5
0x2.6
tame
0x2.6b
0x1.7b
0x4.7b
tame2

Male:
working?
tame
0x8.6
0x10b
0x20b
0x2.6b
0x1.7b
0x4.7b
tame2

And my non-breeding Alligators in my current fort:
Female:
working?
tame
0x2.6b
0x1.7b

Male:
working?
tame
0x2.6b
0x1.7b

subbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 02:42:41 pm »

Yup, it was the Dungeon Master.  You need a DM before exotic pets will breed, even if you buy them tame.

Now, to encrust a bunch of platinum furniture with rubies for him...

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 02:49:19 pm »

I checked the flags on tame alligators (bought from elves, unchained) in a 40d fort of mine, and i've got these for both genders:

working?
tame
0x10b
0x20b
0x2.5b
0x8.6b
0.1.7b

I guess i'm a bit late, I hope it helps anyway.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 08:50:55 pm »

I can tame Rheesus Macques just fine. I had them native, and after realizing how many the hunter had strangled I tamed the rest when they raided.