Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Isn't legends missing something?  (Read 825 times)

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Isn't legends missing something?
« on: May 18, 2010, 06:37:40 am »

If I go into legends I don't see any artifacts. In fact it has occurred to me that I've never seen an artifact that was created by anyone in the world other than a dwarven inhabitant of my fortress. This makes me ask a few questions...

Why is there a strict limitation on selling artifacts? Wouldn't it be more dwarven to let you do it, and then the dwarf who made the artifacts either goes some manner of insane, or emigrates with the artifact?

That said, shouldn't some dwarves immigrate with an artifact? How about a trader shows up with an artifact created during world gen whose creator had died long ago? If it's assumed no one would ever part with an artifact, then how about a troop of treasure hunters appear with an artifact and/or random masterwork?

Okay I'm derailing my own thread in the first post (hah!) but now I'm thinking, oughtn't each human village cluster house a thieves guild, and oughtn't your fort have its own relations with that guild lest your treasures vanish and your legendaries riot...

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Isn't legends missing something?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 07:00:04 am »

Hmm, it seems fair enough to let other dwarfs create artifacts, though immigrants with them would have to be rare, if implemented at all, but who knows?

The last paragraph is a bit off, this isn't exactly oblivion, and seems a bit silly for EVERY human town to house a thieves guild, when Kobolds are the main offender here. That and Rhesus Macaque...
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:09:28 am »

Hmm, it seems fair enough to let other dwarfs create artifacts, though immigrants with them would have to be rare, if implemented at all, but who knows?

The last paragraph is a bit off, this isn't exactly oblivion, and seems a bit silly for EVERY human town to house a thieves guild, when Kobolds are the main offender here. That and Rhesus Macaque...
And adventurers.
At least, when I'm one...
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 09:21:35 am »

I would love to make a fort, fill it with artifacts, then build another one right next too it with artifacts and go on for a few more, then get one kick ass adventurer in there!
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*