Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 978274 times)

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.11v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Updated to DF 0.34.11)
« Reply #2010 on: February 18, 2013, 06:26:36 pm »

Imagine it like this:
the foreground color is applied to white pixels. the background color is kind of a layer below the tileset. Black just stays black.

So if a pixel's white, it will get the full foreground color, if it's grey it will be a bit darker.
if the rest of the tile is fully transparent, it will be the full background color. If it's partially transparent black, it will be a darker background color.
etc.

Some tiles have a black background to the same tile for different symbols differently. For example, minecart tracks, engravings and Phoebus' channel tile.

For example engravings:
The game uses a foreground color and black as a background color for smoothed walls. When the tile is engraved, it will use a foreground color and a background color different from black.
So in smooth walls, the black pixels are "invisible", but they become visible when the game colors the background.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: February 18, 2013, 06:46:36 pm »

I want to make a tileset. I understand transparency, in terms of: This part of the PNG will not be portrait/shown. Its see-through, invisible.
You seem to forget that part of the png is half-transparent (the shades of gray determine the transparency).

What I dont understand is how the... upright spike works. Or that engraved floor looks brighter/different then smoothed floor. And the coloring ^^ If you have a tile with 6:2:1 (yellow foreground and blue background) how in hell does DF know which part is foreground and what part is background.
Easy, the white alpha color (solid) is the foreground color and the black alpha color (transparent) is background color. The colors blend together where the tile is not fully solid/fully transparent.

As I said, just put a colored layer under it, and you will see how engraved/smoothed floors and walls work: parts of them are transparent.

So in smooth walls, the black pixels are "invisible", but they become visible when the game colors the background.
In Ironhand they are not invisible, they blend with overall foreground color because they are partially transparent, however once the background color kicks in, they become visible.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:48:47 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: February 18, 2013, 06:54:19 pm »

Let me try to explain it better. Here's the picture with 3 tiles, trying to explain how the floor works.

The first tile is how a normal floor looks ingame. The foreground color is white and background is black.

The second tile shows you the actual half-transparent pixels. Here foreground color is black and background is white, so it's inverted alpha channel, in fact.

The third tile shows you "engraved" floor, as you can see it's the first tile plus the white from the second tile, which is actually white background color peeking from underneath from the normal tile you see in the first example.

I hope it explains it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: February 19, 2013, 11:09:55 am »

I have a couple of questions... just random stuff I came up with while working my tileset changer thingy.
*sniped*
1. Each 'corner' comes in 4 variation, full single, full double, horizontal single vertical double & horizontal double vertical single.
Full single are used for river/tracks, etc.
The 3 other variations are used for walls.
The half single half double variations are used for wall that terminate next to unsmoothed rock walls, so I have them use the same corner graphic as the normal corners.
That's why there's 3 copies of each wall corners.

2 & 3. Both are hardcoded to use the tileset, AFAIK. :(

4. As CLA & Deon have explained, most image formats can have alpha transparency (png being one of them); Paint doesn't support alpha transparency, while Photoshop and GIMP, which I use, do.
Dwarf Fortress will usually use only the foreground, sometimes only the background/transparency, and sometimes both. Black isn't the transparency, but the transparency is usually filled with black.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2014 on: February 19, 2013, 12:52:48 pm »

Thank you, all three of you.

I noticed that all corners are needed, when I tested my tileset ingame. I still have 1000 bugs in there, but I am slowly making progress. Creature sprites are so much easier ;)

I still dont understand a word at all about alpha transparency, since even CLAs and Deons explanation completely elude me, as testing/fiddling around with Photoshop have shown me, BUT I wont take any more of your time and work my ways through some Photoshop tutorials till I get it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mastermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: February 27, 2013, 06:34:00 pm »

Hey,

I think Ive found a bug or a glitch in Phoebus. I'm not entirely sure it's Phoebus's fault, but in case you are interested: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123412.0

stubarfoo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: March 01, 2013, 06:44:22 pm »

Some of my letters have the wrong background color. How can I fix this? Thank-you.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2017 on: March 01, 2013, 06:50:58 pm »

The background color is intended, that is ok. The V is used for grass for example, and the X for up/down staircases and bins. O happens often in buildings. / is an arrow/weapons.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

stubarfoo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: March 01, 2013, 10:17:35 pm »

The background color is intended, that is ok. The V is used for grass for example, and the X for up/down staircases and bins. O happens often in buildings. / is an arrow/weapons.

Thank-you. I didn't realize that it worked that way. I'm using the TextClean version of Phoebus now and that has uniform letters.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: March 01, 2013, 10:51:50 pm »

I'm using the TextClean version of Phoebus now and that has uniform letters.

Where does one find the "TextClean" version? I've tried searching, but I can't seem to find it.

stubarfoo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: March 01, 2013, 11:05:23 pm »

Where does one find the "TextClean" version? I've tried searching, but I can't seem to find it.

It comes standard with Phoebus graphics pack, should be a file called something like Phoebus_16x16_TextClean.png.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: March 05, 2013, 09:49:39 pm »

Hey Phoebus, do you mind if we include your graphics pack with stonesense as a fallback set? Full credit would be given.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: March 06, 2013, 01:30:55 pm »

Hey Phoebus, do you mind if we include your graphics pack with stonesense as a fallback set? Full credit would be given.
I wouldn't mind. Why would I mind? Stonesense is awesome!

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: March 06, 2013, 01:46:44 pm »

It comes standard with Phoebus graphics pack, should be a file called something like Phoebus_16x16_TextClean.png.
I just realized I removed the instructions, from Phoebus.Readme.txt, on how to use the alternate tilesets.
I'll add that back in the next version.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:48:41 pm by Phoebus »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: March 06, 2013, 02:41:03 pm »

I wouldn't mind. Why would I mind? Stonesense is awesome!

Thank you. With your help, I have turned

Spoiler: This (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Into this. (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 140