Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 978293 times)

mousesanya

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.11v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Updated to DF 0.34.11)
« Reply #1995 on: February 02, 2013, 10:46:11 am »

Thanks a lot :)

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #1996 on: February 02, 2013, 08:44:13 pm »

Hello,

Asked this already in Masterwork thread but it makes sense I should have asked it here.

The Phoebus that comes with the Lazy Newb Pack has certain rock wall settings that the one that comes with Masterwork does not. Specifically, in the LNP version Microcline and Siltstone tiles are solid colors and marble is like a lime green with a white icon. In Masterwork Microcline and Siltstone are like a collection of colored dots on a dark background, and marble looks solid white with no icon. I know Masterwork comes with a program to tweak Phoebus and I loaded it up but none of the combinations I chose got me what I wanted. Can anyone help, or is there something about the mod itself that prevents those settings?

Thanks!

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: February 15, 2013, 01:13:38 pm »

Note: .NET Framework v4 is required to run the Dwarf Fortress Config utility, so you should try installing that if you can't get the util to run.

Ah man! Why .NET 4.0? Isn't 3.5 good enough? That kinda puts me out of luck...

I'm currently limited to a laptop with Win XP and my C: partition is crammed pretty full. There's just no way I can find at least 1 GB that installing .NET 4.0 requires! (Dang you Microsoft for your bloat-ware!)

When I get the chance, I do plan to try out Mono, which is an open-source alternative to .NET (including 4.0). The Windows distribution appears much, much smaller, though it sounds like there could be some minor compatibility issues.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: February 15, 2013, 03:03:39 pm »

When I get the chance, I do plan to try out Mono, which is an open-source alternative to .NET (including 4.0). The Windows distribution appears much, much smaller, though it sounds like there could be some minor compatibility issues.
Mono will get it to run in WINE on Linux so it will probably work on Windows as well.
It might not look as good as the screenshots and sometimes text is a little out of place but it is usable for me.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1999 on: February 17, 2013, 05:49:28 am »

I have a couple of questions... just random stuff I came up with while working my tileset changer thingy.

1. Why are the wall-corner tiles the same? Ironhand uses slightly different ones, Phoebus has 2 or even 3 times the same tile. Are all of those used? Are any of them NOT used, and could be used for other things, like plants/trees/inorganics ?

2. Goblins/Dwarves/Elves/Humans use tiles when they are in cages/dead in cages. Can I somehow use a sprite instead OR change the tilenumber for this? For example dead Goblins/Dwarves/Elves/Humans in cages use the bone tile.

3. Vermin. Is there a way to make vermin use sprites instead of tiles?

EDIT: And, most important of them all:

Left one is opened with Photoshop, right one is opened with Paint. How is the left one done ? I am completely baffled, since its only one layer... it SEEMS that black is transparent, but the "channel designation/upright spike" tile has black in it... how? Really, I am so confused right now.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:12:18 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: February 17, 2013, 07:35:51 pm »

1. Most probably unused tiles. Though you'll have to wait for Phoebus' answer, since this tileset modifies the raws.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset#No_known_use
This should give you a hint on where the tileset has unused tiles by default. Note that it might not be 100% correct. For example, I remember (I think) Knight Otu saying that "¼" was used for Roc nests.

2. Not that I know of.

3. No.

4. Photoshop shows transparency like that, Paint (MSPaint? Paint.net?) apparently shows it as black.
The tileset is most certainly made with several layers and merged at the end. You draw the symbols on one layer and the background on another layer. Either set the opacity for the whole layer, or use a brush/eraser that is set to a low opacity.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2001 on: February 18, 2013, 03:27:30 am »

So there are several layers, but since its not a .psd it does not show them... because I opened the .png in photoshop, but its only one layer... damn it. Because I started working on a png, with one layer, and I dont think I cant retrofit a second transparent background, because I already have the normal non-transparent background in the png.

Any idea how I could fix that? Or would I have to start over?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: February 18, 2013, 03:43:02 am »

1. Most probably unused tiles. Though you'll have to wait for Phoebus' answer, since this tileset modifies the raws.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset#No_known_use
This should give you a hint on where the tileset has unused tiles by default. Note that it might not be 100% correct. For example, I remember (I think) Knight Otu saying that "¼" was used for Roc nests.

Toady was using several of those tiles too in his mock-ups of the new multi-tile trees and stuff that are coming out (including ¼ iirc)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: February 18, 2013, 06:44:58 am »

So there are several layers, but since its not a .psd it does not show them... because I opened the .png in photoshop, but its only one layer... damn it. Because I started working on a png, with one layer, and I dont think I cant retrofit a second transparent background, because I already have the normal non-transparent background in the png.

Don't use paint. Ever. MsPain is not supposed to be used for anything but children drawing or for some hardcore pixel artists or awesome people like Shook.

There's a single layer. The transparency is handled via alpha channel, any normal graphical editor can edit that (GIMP, Paint.net are free ones, Adobe Photoshop is $).

You just select your brush opacity and it sets the transparency when you draw. In fact it creates a 4th channel. There are 3 common channels - red, green, blue - which define colors, and alpha channel which is "shades of gray", and the level of brightness defines the transparency, where white is 100% solid and black is 100% transparent, and grays define the levels of transparency.

You don't actually need to know that, just use transparency settings for the brush, but if you want to fine-tune a tile, then switch to alpha channel (change "layers" to "channels" in photoshop mini-window which shows layers normally) and edit the color of grey to your liking.

I hope it was understandable. It's really easy once you understand how it works.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:46:30 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: February 18, 2013, 08:53:40 am »

Well, you could "fix" it (see Deon's reply), but I think starting anew and using a separate layer for background saves you more time in the long run (if you want to change and tweak things). And I don't know enough about Paint.net, but Photoshop or Gimp are fine. Don't use MSpaint. I'm pretty sure it can't even save transparency.
Though I don't really want to derail Phoebus' thread with this. As Deon said, it's really easy once you understand it.
Toady was using several of those tiles too in his mock-ups of the new multi-tile trees and stuff that are coming out (including ¼ iirc)

Yeah, that, too.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

Trivolver

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: February 18, 2013, 10:36:43 am »

I have a question about this specific tileset. I've used a few others, and I lose a very important piece of functionality - in the basic untextured game, any equipped weapons or armor via the [m]ilitary screen are shown in red to signify that they are currently equipped. In another texture pack I've used, it's made no differentiation.

Does this tileset make that differentiation, and do any others?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2006 on: February 18, 2013, 10:50:10 am »

Ok, I understand that its transparency, and I know how to do that with different layers using Photoshop (I usually use Paint for the pixel art, because its more then enough...)

The one thing I dont unterstand is WHICH part of the graphics should be transparent. I can only see the non-transparent layers OR both together, but since I dont have a -psd as a source, I dont know what parts I should add to the transparent layer. Does anyone (possible Phoebus?) have a tilesetversion as a .psd file? It would really help seeing the raw version, before its compiled into a PNG. Sorry if I am a massive blockhead about this...

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: February 18, 2013, 12:23:46 pm »

Ok, I understand that its transparency, and I know how to do that with different layers using Photoshop (I usually use Paint for the pixel art, because its more then enough...)

The one thing I dont unterstand is WHICH part of the graphics should be transparent. I can only see the non-transparent layers OR both together, but since I dont have a -psd as a source, I dont know what parts I should add to the transparent layer. Does anyone (possible Phoebus?) have a tilesetversion as a .psd file? It would really help seeing the raw version, before its compiled into a PNG. Sorry if I am a massive blockhead about this...

You mean which parts specifically of this tileset, or which parts of a tileset in general should be transparent?
I'm kind of having trouble understanding what you're trying to do. Do you want to just make your own tileset and start with Phoebus as base?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: February 18, 2013, 12:41:46 pm »

Yeah, I don't understand either. To see which part are transparent, as I said, check alpha channel. If you have trouble seeing transparent tiles when you edit tiles themselves, an easy trick is to put a colored layer underneath your tileset, and then you suddenly see tones of some color which clearly indicate what is transparent.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2009 on: February 18, 2013, 05:34:54 pm »

I want to make a tileset. I understand transparency, in terms of: This part of the PNG will not be portrait/shown. Its see-through, invisible. What I dont understand is how the... upright spike works. Or that engraved floor looks brighter/different then smoothed floor. And the coloring ^^ If you have a tile with 6:2:1 (yellow foreground and blue background) how in hell does DF know which part is foreground and what part is background.

I guess it would be better if I just open an extra thread about it... I dont want to sidetrack this thread, but Phoebus is the only person active that has a graphical tileset, since Mayday and Ironhand dont support theirs anymore. It seemed like the logical place to ask.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 140