Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 978815 times)

Minamikaze

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.02v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Update, TrueType & Bugfix)
« Reply #1545 on: February 18, 2012, 03:42:25 pm »

The Tileset Assembler has normal 'V' and 'n' by default, you need to select one of the 'NiceMap' options to switch to the grass and hills alternatives.
The Tileset Assembler also saves to "Phoebus_16x16.png", so if you configured DF to use another tileset it's not loading the tileset you've created.
NiceMap N was enabled. I can see normal n without problems (and I like it) - but V is still looks like grass. And of course all tests was done with default Phoebus_16x16.png. Except the last test when I intentionally used Phoebus_16x16_TextClean.png for fullscreen mode only (in windowed was Phoebus_16x16.png with NiceMap N and Clear text in all combinations possible) and was finally able to see the difference.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 03:47:39 pm by Minamikaze »
Soon we'll be seeing Zombified Puddles of burnt Primordial soup.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: February 18, 2012, 03:55:23 pm »

The Tileset Assembler has normal 'V' and 'n' by default, you need to select one of the 'NiceMap' options to switch to the grass and hills alternatives.
The Tileset Assembler also saves to "Phoebus_16x16.png", so if you configured DF to use another tileset it's not loading the tileset you've created.
NiceMap N was enabled. I can see normal n without problems (and I like it) - but V is still looks like grass. And of course all tests was done with default Phoebus_16x16.png. Except the last test when I intentionally used Phoebus_16x16_TextClean.png for fullscreen mode only (in windowed was Phoebus_16x16.png with NiceMap N and Clear text in all combinations possible) and was finally able to see the difference.
Both 'NiceMap' options have the grassy V. 'NiceMap Hills' has bumpy hills, 'NiceMap N' has the curved 'n'.
I'm going to create a better middleground for the 'V', and will most likely create separate options for each letter.

Edit.: You can right-click the preview image in the Tileset Assembler to switch to the tileset view.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:00:12 pm by Phoebus »

Minamikaze

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: February 18, 2012, 04:12:52 pm »

Edit.: You can right-click the preview image in the Tileset Assembler to switch to the tileset view.
Shame on me. How could i forget about left-clicking >_< And it was only couple of months without DF...

and will most likely create separate options for each letter.
That would be most excellent :)
Soon we'll be seeing Zombified Puddles of burnt Primordial soup.

jeturcotte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: February 18, 2012, 06:47:26 pm »

Hello Phoebus!

I just wanted to ask, having done all this work... Since my girlfriend and I are modestly capable of making icon graphics for DF as well, we immediately wanted to know... OKAY, what exactly ARE all the new creatures.  This caused me to use some software I use for novel writing to actually pick apart all the creature_ raw files and build out an alphabetically-by-(standard/anthro/giant)-by-type listing.  This, in turn, made me want to normalize the naming technique of EVERY animal... which in turn forced me to adjust the names of your to-graphic tags.

So, the end result is that I have a highly organized and standardize set of files with all the up to date creatures and repaired graphics .txt files.  I'm happy to make them available (though, to be fair, that would mean that the new creature files couldn't just be dragged and dropped onto DF's default set, per se.)

In any case, if there is any demand for this from you, DF, or the community... it's freely available on request.  I also have, as a result arrived at a complete list of all creatures that NEED new graphics, if that is all useful... and my GF has already made some for horseshoe crabs, octopi, crags, ocean sunfish which we'd happily donate to a common graphics cause (as well as be happy to assist in making more.)

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: February 18, 2012, 06:52:12 pm »

Having a problem with the "n"s. Look at this:

All the n's are showing up like that in all menus for some reason. Can someone tell me what's wrong?

EDIT: Nvm, it started working right now. Had to re-install everything though.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:03:24 pm by Die Nacht »
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: February 18, 2012, 08:08:20 pm »

I must be crazy or something. How did I get Phoebus 34_02v03 and why does it not have the updated version of DF, but Phoebus 34_02v01 does?

I thought I was losing my mind for a minute with these version numbers.

The True Type Toggle is really cool btw. I'm really tempted to start hunting down fonts for it but....it's usefulness in adventure mode still kind of stops me.

That and the fact the code hasn't reached the point where it flush and reprint the screen correctly. Scrolling lists still leave a mess.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 09:01:44 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: February 18, 2012, 09:02:37 pm »

Found another problem. In Fortress:

In the "j" menu, anything I am highlighting is being blocked.
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: February 18, 2012, 10:00:33 pm »

Found another problem. In Fortress:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In the "j" menu, anything I am highlighting is being blocked.
That's a problem with DF, and it's one of the reason why I disabled TrueType in 34.01v03.
But it's not so much of an issue anymore now that you can just press F12 to see what's being selected.

I must be crazy or something. How did I get Phoebus 34_02v03 and why does it not have the updated version of DF, but Phoebus 34_02v01 does?

I thought I was losing my mind for a minute with these version numbers.

The True Type Toggle is really cool btw. I'm really tempted to start hunting down fonts for it but....it's usefulness in adventure mode still kind of stops me.

That and the fact the code hasn't reached the point where it flush and reprint the screen correctly. Scrolling lists still leave a mess.
Good news, you're not going crazy!
I made a typo when I released the version of 34.01v02 and save it as 34.02v02 instead, didn't notice it in 34.01v03 either, but when I released 34.02v00 it was plain obvious that they weren't sorting correctly.

Hello Phoebus!

I just wanted to ask, having done all this work... Since my girlfriend and I are modestly capable of making icon graphics for DF as well, we immediately wanted to know... OKAY, what exactly ARE all the new creatures.  This caused me to use some software I use for novel writing to actually pick apart all the creature_ raw files and build out an alphabetically-by-(standard/anthro/giant)-by-type listing.  This, in turn, made me want to normalize the naming technique of EVERY animal... which in turn forced me to adjust the names of your to-graphic tags.

So, the end result is that I have a highly organized and standardize set of files with all the up to date creatures and repaired graphics .txt files.  I'm happy to make them available (though, to be fair, that would mean that the new creature files couldn't just be dragged and dropped onto DF's default set, per se.)

In any case, if there is any demand for this from you, DF, or the community... it's freely available on request.  I also have, as a result arrived at a complete list of all creatures that NEED new graphics, if that is all useful... and my GF has already made some for horseshoe crabs, octopi, crags, ocean sunfish which we'd happily donate to a common graphics cause (as well as be happy to assist in making more.)
The new graphics are very welcome, the new creatures added in 34.01 don't have any graphics yet.

RED ALERT! Do not ever change the internal name of things.
If you change internal reference symbols, all the savegame created with those changed symbols won't be compatible with vanilla raws, or any other raws for that matter, as they have different internal reference symbols and the game won't be able to tell what's what.
The 'joys' of retrocompatibility.

For example, when Toady improved the soap formula in 31.xx, he renamed the new soap formulas. This caused any game that had been created before the change to crash complaining about that single missing formula. A single missing reference is enough to shutdown the whole game...
I had to provide a new raw file with an instance of the soap formula, with it's old name, so that players with old savegames could still use their old save with newer versions of the game. Not fun.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 10:24:43 pm by Phoebus »

kafine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my art
« Reply #1553 on: February 19, 2012, 12:00:00 pm »

The creatures graphics Jet is referring to are going up here as I do them, I have only just started so I only have a handful done but I am happy for anyone to use them :)

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: February 19, 2012, 12:55:07 pm »

I've done a thing!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Damn, master axeman is missing an axe. Should be easy to add, but I'm way too exhausted now. Would you mind copy&pasting an axe when you add this in, Phoebus? Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 12:59:03 pm by Jiri Petru »
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: February 19, 2012, 01:08:45 pm »

Now that truetype font seems to be working on a somewhat acceptable level, do you plan on changing more of the letter tiles for more variety?

jeturcotte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: February 19, 2012, 02:49:54 pm »

RED ALERT! Do not ever change the internal name of things.
If you change internal reference symbols, all the savegame created with those changed symbols won't be compatible with vanilla raws, or any other raws for that matter, as they have different internal reference symbols and the game won't be able to tell what's what.
The 'joys' of retrocompatibility.

For example, when Toady improved the soap formula in 31.xx, he renamed the new soap formulas. This caused any game that had been created before the change to crash complaining about that single missing formula. A single missing reference is enough to shutdown the whole game...
I had to provide a new raw file with an instance of the soap formula, with it's old name, so that players with old savegames could still use their old save with newer versions of the game. Not fun.

No worries; I threw it out there just in case there was some demand for resetting things for a cleaner path forward; if there's no interest, I can just keep using these improved raws for my own games, where backwards compatibility isn't a concern.  =)  Keep up the good works, btw

jeturcotte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: February 19, 2012, 03:19:23 pm »

Oh, on a quasirelated note, why have the undead variants been commented out for now?  Has there been a fundamental change to how these things work in game?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: February 19, 2012, 04:03:29 pm »

Oh, on a quasirelated note, why have the undead variants been commented out for now?  Has there been a fundamental change to how these things work in game?
Yeah, undead no longer work like they did in 0.31.25.  I don't know the details, but the changes were enough that they needed to be commented out to avoid the game throwing a hissy-fit.  See the various posts in the Fortress Mode section about undead/zombie apocalypse/etc for more details. :)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: February 19, 2012, 04:21:03 pm »

There used to be a "zombie" and a "skeleton" version of the creatures.  Now, there are not any such things as far as the game is concerned - it's just that a body can be "Animated" now.  There are no game distinctions between zombies and skeletons anymore, just varying degrees of how much the flesh has rotted.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 140