Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 978918 times)

ripping

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25v21] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Beefmo units bugfix)
« Reply #1320 on: July 04, 2011, 05:23:44 pm »

Mayday uses the Guybrush font, which is available in the tileset assembler.

Thanks, Phoebus. And thanks for the awesome set.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25v22] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Tileset update & Beefmo update)
« Reply #1321 on: July 04, 2011, 08:52:21 pm »

Of course Thundercraft is right; the best solution would be for someone to develop a 24x24 tileset. But if people want to keep experimenting with various scaling options, might I point them to this algorithm, which was specifically designed for scaling pixel art. Unfortunately, it supports neither transparency nor a scale factor of 1.5. However, these shortcuts could be overcome: Transparency would have to be extracted, scaled separatedly, and then added back in; also, you would probably scale by 3x and then downscale to 0.5 (with bilinear filtering?). Unfortunately I'm stuck on the transparency problem. As a teaser, here's a version of Phoebus scaled to 3x with lost transparency:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thanks for telling me about hqx I had never heard of it before.
I just released Tileset Resizer v2.0 which includes functions that use hqx to resize tilesets as well as improving the old resizing function.
Here is how I did it.

Because hqx can not resize images with a alpha channel resize_tileset_hqx and resize_tileset_hqx_tilebytile split the image to its rgb and alpha channels and saves them to be resized by hqx.
These resized images are recombined after resizing. Because hqx can only resize images to 2x, 3x, or 4x size the recombined image is then downsized to the desired final size using a user specified interpolation method.  The functions pick the best amount to resize using hqx automatically.

A picture illustrating this process is shown below. Warning it is large.
My best result for the current Phoebus tileset is show below resized to 24x24 tiles with resize_tileset_hqx_tilebytile with spline interpolation used to downsize the hqx resize.
More examples of the results can be found in the Tileset Resizer thread.

I had to split the image in 3 horizontal sections because imgur wouldn't take such a large png without greatly degrading the image quality by converting it to jpg.
I use Fotki to post my images for my Tileset Resizer samples because its free and according to them "Well, we really don’t have any strict limits on file size. You can upload very, very large files, no problem. Just make sure you use appropriate uploading tool for big files.".
Just make sure you link to the download original file link and you can post the full size images anywhere.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 10:56:41 am by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Organon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: July 05, 2011, 04:47:09 am »

Wow, that is some impressive work, thank you very much arclance! I'm really enjoying the hqx version.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:48:41 am by Organon »

Dizzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: July 06, 2011, 08:28:19 am »

1. Install the 'Pre-Installed Package', or unpack the Graphic Set Package over your current installation.

2. Run DF_Savegame_Updater.bat (or DF_savegame_updater.sh on Linux) to update your savegames.

3. Run DF_Phoebus_Init_Updater.bat to update your inits.

4. Play the game!

Could somebody expand on step number 1? Install....in what way?

I've run both updaters and it seemed like they were running fine but when I started the game, nothing looked different. I must be installing it wrong...

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: July 06, 2011, 01:38:55 pm »

1. Install the 'Pre-Installed Package', or unpack the Graphic Set Package over your current installation.

2. Run DF_Savegame_Updater.bat (or DF_savegame_updater.sh on Linux) to update your savegames.

4. Play the game!

I've run both updaters and it seemed like they were running fine but when I started the game, nothing looked different. I must be installing it wrong...
"Installing" means unziping the file in the folder where you want the game to installed.
I'm going to clarify this.

Dizzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: July 06, 2011, 05:59:02 pm »

4. Play the game!

"Installing" means unziping the file in the folder where you want the game to installed.
I'm going to clarify this.

I have done this though, I have the file (called Phoebus) in my Dwarf Fortress folder. (which has all the dwarf fortress folders and exe file in it)

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: July 07, 2011, 08:46:50 am »

I have done this though, I have the file (called Phoebus) in my Dwarf Fortress folder. (which has all the dwarf fortress folders and exe file in it)

If you have a single file named Phoebus in your DF folder, then I'm assuming it's the archive file and not the graphics pack itself.  You  have to unzip that file with WinRar or 7Zip or Winzip or whatever you have that will open it into that Dwarf Fortress folder and overwrite ("copy and replace") anything it prompts you to.  Simply downloading it and putting it there won't do any good.

On the other hand, I'm surprised that you even have the updater files to run them if you haven't unzipped it properly.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, Dizzard.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Dizzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: July 07, 2011, 01:09:00 pm »

If you have a single file named Phoebus in your DF folder, then I'm assuming it's the archive file and not the graphics pack itself.  You  have to unzip that file with WinRar or 7Zip or Winzip or whatever you have that will open it into that Dwarf Fortress folder and overwrite ("copy and replace") anything it prompts you to.  Simply downloading it and putting it there won't do any good.

On the other hand, I'm surprised that you even have the updater files to run them if you haven't unzipped it properly.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, Dizzard.

No, the file named "Phoebus" has already been unzipped. It's a normal folder that contains everything that comes with the phoebus graphic mod.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: July 07, 2011, 05:55:36 pm »

No, the file named "Phoebus" has already been unzipped. It's a normal folder that contains everything that comes with the phoebus graphic mod.
If you downloaded the pre-installed package, you must run the DwarfFortress.exe that is inside the Phoebus directory that has been created.
If you downloaded the graphic set package, you must unpack it in the directory of your Dwarf Fortress installation, do not unpack it in a subdirectory; it should overwrite plenty of old files.

Dizzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: July 08, 2011, 05:16:27 am »

If you downloaded the pre-installed package, you must run the DwarfFortress.exe that is inside the Phoebus directory that has been created.
If you downloaded the graphic set package, you must unpack it in the directory of your Dwarf Fortress installation, do not unpack it in a subdirectory; it should overwrite plenty of old files.

I downloaded the pre-installed package. Do you mean run the DwarfFortressConfig.exe? There isn't a DwarfFortress.exe in the pre-installed package.

I'll try downloading the graphic set package and see if I get more like with that.

Edit: I may have gotten it to work I'll just check now...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 05:26:26 am by Dizzard »

Dizzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: July 08, 2011, 05:30:43 am »

I downloaded the pre-installed package. Do you mean run the DwarfFortressConfig.exe? There isn't a DwarfFortress.exe in the pre-installed package.

I'll try downloading the graphic set package and see if I get more like with that.

Edit: I may have gotten it to work I'll just check now...it's working!

Is there a guide to what the symbols mean? For some reason the very simple male and female symbols have been replaced by symbols that don't make sense. :/

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: July 08, 2011, 03:04:59 pm »

The bag is the male symbol, the necklace is the female symbol.
There's a small male symbol tied to the bag, and the necklace has a female symbol/ankh shaped pendant.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: July 08, 2011, 07:31:32 pm »

Phoebus, is there any plans to redo the current bar sprites? The wood currently looks like bars and the bars look very low quality compared to the rest of the sprites.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: July 08, 2011, 11:19:51 pm »

Phoebus, is there any plans to redo the current bar sprites? The wood currently looks like bars and the bars look very low quality compared to the rest of the sprites.
I've made some improvements to the bamboo tile, here's two versions:

What do you think about these new versions of the bamboo tile?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:27:31 pm by Phoebus »

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: July 09, 2011, 01:39:50 am »

I've made some improvements to the bamboo tile, here's two versions:

What do you think about these new versions of the bamboo tile?

That looks very good. Your tileset is the bestest. Using ironhand for the updated genesis and I can't stand it. Trying to see if your version will work with tapi's updates.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 140