Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 978975 times)

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25v19] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Introducing the Savegame Manager)
« Reply #1260 on: May 24, 2011, 08:26:25 pm »

Unit graphic tiles are automatically scaled to the tileset tile size by the game itself.
So it's possible to used 18x18 Ironhand's unit graphics with a 16x16 tileset, and everything will show correctly as 16x16 tiles.

But tilesets are not so flexible.
Every tile in a tileset needs to have the same dimension as they are all included in the same 16x16 grid.
Also, the raws contains references to tiles, and those references are not the same in all tilesets. ( Creatures are not at the same locations, mineral walls are not categorized the same and are also located differently, etc. )
So to add different tilesets (Ironhand, Mayday, etc.) to the assembler would be a lot of work, it would require supporting a configuration system to support  the different graphic sets options for Mayday/Ironhand, it would require supporting different tile sizes, it would require splitting the Mayday/Ironhand tilesets into parts in the same way I did for my tileset, and it would require a way to synchronize specific tileset options with their raws.

One last thing, this time a request. Seeings as though now you can support multiple gfx sets, is there any chance that the beefmo set could be supported? I love his set, but too intimidated by raws etc to attempt adding them myself. (this is thrins beefmo repack and recent updates to it http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54399.msg2218513#msg2218513)
I will try to include beefmo's units in the next update.

You can add unit graphic options to the savegame manager through the /data/config/graphics/ directory.
You will need to create a new subdirectory then add a version.txt and raws.zip (preview.png is optional). Use the pre-included graphic packs as a reference.

(Yes, the util now uses zip files to store it's data.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:29:28 pm by Phoebus »

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: May 24, 2011, 09:28:44 pm »

Oh, sweet!  I was hoping to use Beefmo/Thrin's unit graphics, but every time I tried it the game just crashed and I couldn't figure out why.  Not that Poebus's graphics are bad or anything - I've been using them for a long time now, and I love them.  And this tileset editor is incredible.  Hard to resist the beefmo dwarves, though.

Definitely going to be looking at that config/graphics directory for the moment.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: May 25, 2011, 12:43:40 am »

I also had a look at the unit graphics selector and noticed you didn't include the ironhand or mayday tilesets(that I could find) and no way to change the tileset from DwarfFortressConfig even if I manually added them(doesn't seem to be a place for them in the config directory).
I don't mean to be rude, but why would you expect him to include someone else's tileset in a utility he made for his own?

I don't mean to be rude, but learn to read what others type. Point out where I asked it to be included.

Unit graphic tiles are automatically scaled to the tileset tile size by the game itself.
So it's possible to used 18x18 Ironhand's unit graphics with a 16x16 tileset, and everything will show correctly as 16x16 tiles.

But tilesets are not so flexible.
Every tile in a tileset needs to have the same dimension as they are all included in the same 16x16 grid.
Also, the raws contains references to tiles, and those references are not the same in all tilesets. ( Creatures are not at the same locations, mineral walls are not categorized the same and are also located differently, etc. )
So to add different tilesets (Ironhand, Mayday, etc.) to the assembler would be a lot of work, it would require supporting a configuration system to support  the different graphic sets options for Mayday/Ironhand, it would require supporting different tile sizes, it would require splitting the Mayday/Ironhand tilesets into parts in the same way I did for my tileset, and it would require a way to synchronize specific tileset options with their raws.
Oh yea.. That makes perfect sense. Hence why there is no support for swapping the tilesets. *facepalms*

One last thing, this time a request. Seeings as though now you can support multiple gfx sets, is there any chance that the beefmo set could be supported? I love his set, but too intimidated by raws etc to attempt adding them myself. (this is thrins beefmo repack and recent updates to it http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54399.msg2218513#msg2218513)
I will try to include beefmo's units in the next update.
Woot! Your the best phoebus!

You can add unit graphic options to the savegame manager through the /data/config/graphics/ directory.
You will need to create a new subdirectory then add a version.txt and raws.zip (preview.png is optional). Use the pre-included graphic packs as a reference.

(Yes, the util now uses zip files to store it's data.)
I noticed that. Very neat!
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: May 31, 2011, 05:13:23 pm »

Think about a hare/rabbit/bunny or whatever it was with the clock in Carrolls (Dodgsons) Allice... I simply have no time.... but just for this short interruption! WOW!!!!!! WOW!!!!
Nothing more to say, except for CRIVENS! Shiver me timbers!
Sadly I have no time to play with it :( Damned! WOW nevertheless!

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.25v20] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Beefmo units)
« Reply #1264 on: June 01, 2011, 12:13:43 am »

*Updated* 0.31.25v20
Added Beefmo units as an option.
Added the standard unit background to Beefmo and Mayday units.
Added my proprietary anti-eyeball-searing technology(tm) to Beefmo and Mayday units.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25v20] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Beefmo units)
« Reply #1265 on: June 01, 2011, 12:17:23 am »

I must say, the Beefmo units are really nice. Great discovery for me (yeah yeah, I've been living in a cave.)
There was a bug in the beefmo units pack, in the file "graphics_mayday_png.txt" the line that says "[PAGE:DIM:22:6]" makes the game crash. When changed to "[PAGE_DIM:22:6]" everything works fine.
That bug is fixed in my release, of course.
Cheers.

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERMITTED_JOB: GRAPHICS_SURGEON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: June 01, 2011, 04:56:34 am »

*facepalms* I gotta stop writing these things at 3 in the morning. I'll make sure to fix that in my next release, which should be soon, if I can figure out which buzzard and vulture Toady wrote about in the raws.

Oh, and thanks for the include! Glad I took a look at the forums today!

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: June 01, 2011, 12:21:26 pm »

*Updated* 0.31.25v20
Added my proprietary anti-eyeball-searing technology(tm) to Beefmo and Mayday units.

What does the anti-eyeball-searing technology do?

Really appriciate you adding this one! Here is a problem though I found with goblins:

These are some caged prisoners that I noticed were all bitshifted wrong and showing the wrong goblin images.
Where the top purple guys should be goblin swordsmen.
And the other purple guy 4th row middle should be a goblin hammerman, but that looks like an axeman.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: June 01, 2011, 01:53:38 pm »

Before I duplicate effort, anyone have a nice comparison of the different unit graphics?
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: June 01, 2011, 03:22:57 pm »

*Updated* 0.31.25v20

What does the anti-eyeball-searing technology do?
It's a 50% transparent black background to reduce the intensity of blinking icons and such.

Really appriciate you adding this one! Here is a problem though I found with goblins:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

These are some caged prisoners that I noticed were all bitshifted wrong and showing the wrong goblin images.
Where the top purple guys should be goblin swordsmen.
And the other purple guy 4th row middle should be a goblin hammerman, but that looks like an axeman.
I see, most of the page dims (in 'graphics_beefmo_png.txt') were set to 12:27 instead of their correct 12:25 dimension.
Fixing that.

Before I duplicate effort, anyone have a nice comparison of the different unit graphics?
There are small 4x4 previews in the savegame manager. The unit graphic set all have different units in the previews, but you can still see the differences in overall styles.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 03:25:04 pm by Phoebus »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.25v21] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Beefmo units bugfix)
« Reply #1270 on: June 01, 2011, 03:31:49 pm »

*Updated* 0.31.25v21
Fixed goblin, human, elf & kobold unit graphics in the Beefmo pack.

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25v21] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Beefmo units bugfix)
« Reply #1271 on: June 01, 2011, 07:15:40 pm »

*double facepalm* This is what happens when I don't play DF for months at a time, but still decide to update graphics for it. I need to start actually play testing my shi stuff. I'll have an official update of the base soon to fix said problems. Sigh.

I think I know how it happened too. I knew I had reduced the graphic sheets by two squares from beefmo's more chaotic job placement, and remembered to adjust the dwarf part of the text file, but must not have done the rest.

Might I suggest a link to my thread so you don't have to run support for my mess? I wouldn't want to drain your efforts away from your own set.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: June 01, 2011, 11:37:16 pm »

Wow, that makes a big difference :D Thanks Phoebus! (thanks thrin and beefmo also!)

Might I suggest a link to my thread so you don't have to run support for my mess? I wouldn't want to drain your efforts away from your own set.

Hmm.. yea, I should have thought of that.. I'm sure phoebus enjoyed doing it though, loving to spread around and make available the awesome DF styled pixelart for us DF-graphics lover+noob like me :D

Edit: In graphics_beefmo_png.txt

[MERCHANT:ELFS:6:4:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
Should be  [MERCHANT:ELFS:8:2:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
At least I think thats what the merchant tile should be. Maybe I should fire up adventure mode and see if any others need adjusting.

Also Phoebus: I had problems trying to zip the graphics raw.zip. Could be because im using winrar to zip(as .zip exension) but the DwarfFortressConfig app doesn't seem to like them when it tries to replace a saved games graphics raws. (No unit graphics tiles are loaded at all). What zip program you using?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:01:23 am by Ethicalfive »

Maximiliator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: June 02, 2011, 01:50:46 pm »

hi, i ve got a question to your complete pack. i downed it and got a pretty fortress with 150 dwarfs now, and all is giong well, but i ve not encountered any titans or forgotten beasts yet. Does your version exclude them ?

Greetings

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: June 02, 2011, 05:33:15 pm »

Edit: In graphics_beefmo_png.txt

[MERCHANT:ELFS:6:4:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
Should be  [MERCHANT:ELFS:8:2:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
At least I think thats what the merchant tile should be. Maybe I should fire up adventure mode and see if any others need adjusting

No, 6:4 is technically the right tile, I just hadn't made a merchant tile yet (8:2 is the tax collecter), so there wasn't anything showing up. I just fixed that by adding place holders to all the empty positions, among the other fixes. Thanks for reminding me I had to do that! Umm.. It seems to crash my game when I use my "fix", so I suggest you just use Phoebus' pack for now. I know that works.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:25:39 am by Thrin »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 140