Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 979069 times)

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Texture added, core darkened and first pillar added.

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wooh.... those curved walls really seem to be a good compromise between orthogonal and diagonal ones! But those pillars remind me on another "retro"/"I have no time" memory... the pillar with guybrush/sphr was a classic orthogonal +.... which seemed a bit odd as a singular tile, but fused just right with adjacent walls - I am not sure how a compromise could be achieved with that "problem", but as said by yourself - you already have blown my mind to pieces! And in the end - I rather stick to that circular choice of a pillar/ending tile, then to the...... - I think that would please more users then us (me) few (s) ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:19:14 pm by Shandra »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile

Mmm, it is much nicer with the texture on it.  Deffinite add.  I could deffinitely use this to export iconic maps with, since that texture and those curves could be... magnificent for water (like the old diagonal one).

Jeoshua cancels Fey mood: Needs drawing talent
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Considering the way the rest of it looks, the squared off pillars look out of place to me, Phoebus.  I agree it needed the texture for the round, though. :)

My suggestion, make the pillar tile look more like the center (where four corners meet) of a solid block of walls from your original image:
I think that will give you the look you are going for.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Krenshala: but wouldn't that make pillars and closed/build blocks somehow look displaced? But in general I think your point is alike, or let's say close in context to my previous assumption....

for those who don't know the old tileset - here is an image with a pillar and horizontal wall added from old sphr to the latest threads image...

Spoiler: --> (click to show/hide)

P.S.: Phoebus why haven't you cut the original image to its 16x16 frame? And just, and only just because of the outer engravings those old tiles where somewhat slimmer then your current trials (with your diagonal walls the tiles match nearly perfect)....

Edit: And just added to the bottom left some other tiles wich may show the difference between phoebus brilliant trial in rounded corners vs. the square spaces in the old tileset....

P.P.S.: But don't get distracted from the curves.... not really dwarvy in design (curves... halls... moria... yes... but then with a variable gradient - thats up to toady :p) , but they appeal to the user!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:32:02 pm by Shandra »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rounded square walls + 3 pillar designs.

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bottom one.... (or is that with higher monitor width - the last one/third one?)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Deffinitely the X's

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No engravings yet, but you can play with it if you like.
Do you prefer Light or Dark 'cores'?

Edit.: I'm calling it a night.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:38:05 pm by Phoebus »

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Regarding the poll:

Can I like the new floors but dislike the additional (and mandatory) change of the "Finely Crafted" signifier? It's the same reason I couldn't stand Ironhand's graphics some time back; half the letters were shapes and most in-game texts were unreadable to me.

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you prefer Light or Dark 'cores'?
Edit.: I'm calling it a night.

Was it Plato who said the truth lies in between the opposites? Somewhat darker couldn't hurt - but your dark is IMHO too much of it (appears like some water based rollercoaster trainstrails to me) .....

And finally a nighty night! Sleep well and keep up with the good work!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:47:21 pm by Shandra »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pretty good for world maps.  I love what it does to the big rivers, but it's still missing a bit on the transitions from streams.

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Jeoshua: I gave up on that wish.... because if we take those [just a snippet from ROW:14 Sphr Set] in again we may lose too many other tiles, for instance the leftmost tile would be a chair.... toady finally has to give up on 256 basic tiles where some are hardcoded - in the end its all (even if we talk ASCII as a base) GFX and whence every tile is setable alike to the things we (at least I am) now call sprites.... yeah.... I am dreaming.....
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 10:10:13 pm by Shandra »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Somewhat darker couldn't hurt - but your dark is IMHO too much of it (appears like some water based rollercoaster trainstrails to me)
Water based rollercoasters!!!!

On a (slightly) more serious note, I can't do anything about the transitions between rivers and streams.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those curvy walls look perfect for worldmap! Even the streams look great comming off them I think. I really like the first version of the crenelated wall's alot still, so torn!

Also undecided about the new floor tiles vs old.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 140