Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 979130 times)

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25v07] Phoebus' Graphic Set (New bulb plant & fungiwood tiles)
« Reply #915 on: April 08, 2011, 03:05:59 pm »

I believe bauxite is a "special stone" because it is the only stone that can contain rubies and sapphires. On the otherhand, post mineral scarcity, this doesn't seem to be true in all cases.
That's a good point. Forgot about that. Makes it like kimberlite's red headed step child -- more common and less impressive but still nice to know.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 08, 2011, 04:32:47 pm »

Using v7 I noticed that instead of the arrow for hunger/thirst/unhappy it appears to be using bulb plant tile.  I'm guessing thats hard coded to use that particular (down arrow) tile?
Yes, originally I planned to make the plant look like a down arrow (didn't exactly end up that way), but I forgot about the status indicators that are using that tile.
I will fix it in the next version, and move the plant tile somewhere else.
Edit: The status indicator plant is very confusing, so I'm definitively fixing that soon.

A couple minor nitpicks, mostly about the new mineral designation system:

- Why does bauxite have the 'special stone' tile? As far as I know there's basically nothing special about bauxite any more. It used to be one of the few magma safe stones, but now magma safe stones are a dime a dozen. Barring a mod that lets you smelt bauxite into aluminum I don't see any reason to denote bauxite as special.

- Why does garnierite have the 'valuable metal' tile? Garnierite smelts into nickel, a 2 value metal, and is used in one completely useless alloy (nickel silver) that has no value because you can make brass with the same ingredients minus nickel and actually get a value boost out of it. Basically, garnierite is the definition of a junk metal, best used for practice and bins. Sphalerite and even galena I can see purpose to giving the valuable metal tile, but not garnierite. (Although if it were up to me I'd bump sphalerite and galena down to normal metal.)

- Can we get iron ores into the 'valuable metal' tile? Hematite doesn't really need it seeing as it is the only red ore tile, but magnetite in particular is hard to differentiate from tetrahedrite. Iron ore is generally considered the most valuable metal one can find due to it's versatile usage (and it's high value -- iron has a value of 10, equal to silver and steel a value of 30, equal to gold) and while it doesn't necessarily need it's own tile it'd be nice for it to use the valuable metal tile.

Not complaining, don't get me wrong, just some suggestions / thoughts on the new mineral setups.
Thank you very much for your comments.

Bauxite & Kimberlite (are supposed to) contain the most valuable gems in the game, so I've gave them the special stone symbol. Also, you can see a Dwarf's eyes glimmer when they stand near Bauxite or Kimberlite, true story, honest!

You're confusing the meaning of 'valuable metal'.
The metal tile is for military grade metals.
The 'valuable' metal tile is for non-military grade metals; metals that are used for luxuries and utilities.
Iron, Copper & Tin ores are the military grade metals, everything else is luxury.

And yes, I am considering giving Iron back it's own unique tile so it's easier to identify, although I've not found the identification conflict between tetrahedrite and magnetite to be .
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:47:50 pm by Phoebus »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 08, 2011, 04:36:18 pm »

Funny, all this talk about symbols, and I was about to ask if you still had a non-symbol version lying around.  Verisimilitude, you know.  With how nice your tileset is starting to look, I'm finding the symbols quite distracting!
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 08, 2011, 04:39:40 pm »

Funny, all this talk about symbols, and I was about to ask if you still had a non-symbol version lying around.  Verisimilitude, you know.  With how nice your tileset is starting to look, I'm finding the symbols quite distracting!
The alternate 'Meld' tileset is still alive yes, it's not completely free of symbols, but it never was.
It has symbols for fuel, flux, special, metal & plaster, the other tiles (ordinary stone, layers, gems & valuable metal) look more realistic.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:42:48 pm by Phoebus »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.25v08] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Bugfixes, new log tile)
« Reply #919 on: April 08, 2011, 05:40:50 pm »

*Updated* 0.31.25v08
Restored the down arrow status indicator.
Change the tile for logs & constructed hives. (From Ironhand)
Floor engravings are now slightly brighter.
Added old style wall engraving to diagonal alternate tileset.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25v08] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Bugfixes & new log tile)
« Reply #920 on: April 09, 2011, 06:33:18 am »

I've updated the Symbol Chart as it was too confusing regarding metals. I hope this will clarify the chart system.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 09, 2011, 07:10:58 am »

Sorry for intruding, but this seems to be the best place to ask.

I am running the Lazy Newb Pack .25? (Newest one), and using Phoebus Meld as a tileset - I was wondering if it would be possible to switch out my paved road icons for the ones used on floors? The brick look floors have makes much more sense than... err ... whatever paved roads use (can't recall at the top of my head). I think it was a swirly icon? and using chalk or clay (roough) as stones.
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 09, 2011, 07:38:20 am »

Sorry for intruding, but this seems to be the best place to ask.

I am running the Lazy Newb Pack .25? (Newest one), and using Phoebus Meld as a tileset - I was wondering if it would be possible to switch out my paved road icons for the ones used on floors? The brick look floors have makes much more sense than... err ... whatever paved roads use (can't recall at the top of my head). I think it was a swirly icon? and using chalk or clay (roough) as stones.
The game is hardcoded to use the swirly sand/water tile if you use rough stone to build your roads.
But if you use stone blocks instead, your road will look like the smoothed brick floors.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 09, 2011, 10:34:02 am »

Spoiler: DO WANT! (click to show/hide)

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 09, 2011, 10:37:38 am »

Right?

I can't wait to see these things in-game!

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25v08] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Poll)
« Reply #925 on: April 10, 2011, 02:25:49 pm »

@poll: there are alternatives?!? I never knew. Do these alternatives have piccys to go with them?

Azahiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 10, 2011, 03:13:13 pm »

@poll: there are alternatives?!? I never knew. Do these alternatives have piccys to go with them?

I think the piccys are in your DF/data/art folder ;)

And if you read the "Phoebus.readme" file, you'd know the alternatives :D

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 10, 2011, 03:51:08 pm »

Please select the darkest smoothed stone that you can clearly see without squinting.
Those would be used for the darkest stone floors in the game, anything else would be much brighter.

Spoiler: 1, 2 & 3 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 4 & 5 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:24:08 pm by Phoebus »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25v08] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Brightness survey on last page)
« Reply #928 on: April 10, 2011, 04:00:37 pm »

Number 2.  Daylight outside of the room and on a CRT monitor.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Azahiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 10, 2011, 04:17:58 pm »

Please select the darkest smoothed stone that you can clearly see without squinting.
Those would be used for the darkest stone floors in the game, anything else would be much brighter.

[pictures go here]

number 2 for me. 1 would be ok, cuz I can see the detail, but from a bit further from the monitor it all melds into black on my monitor.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 140