Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 979131 times)

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.25v07] Phoebus' Graphic Set (New bulb plant & fungiwood tiles)
« Reply #900 on: April 07, 2011, 07:40:43 am »

*Updated* 0.31.25v07
New tileset: Diagonal Walls + Meld
Added a new tile for Spore Trees & Fungiwood.
Added a new tile for outdoor root/bulb plants.
Improved the texture and adjusted the contrast of walls.
Adjusted the sand wall tile.
Improved the 'Phoebus' default embark setup. Now with 50% more FUN!

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25v06] Phoebus' Graphic Set (New barrel & reworked some plants)
« Reply #901 on: April 07, 2011, 07:47:02 am »

New plant tile for plants with roots & bulbs:
Red = Red/Hide Root
Brown = Bloated Tuber
Grey = Muck Root
Teal = Kobold Bulb (not visible on the screenshot)
They look amazing but I can't see the color difference on a casual glance.
Maybe if you use more colored pixels.
Thanks.
I did start drawing the tile using more pixels, but it looked too weird, like if the plant was already uprooted.
None of my design were looking good (or were particularly easy to identify for that matter), then I thought of this design and at least it didn't look weird, so I stuck with it.

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25v07] Phoebus' Graphic Set (New bulb plant & fungiwood tiles)
« Reply #902 on: April 07, 2011, 11:33:55 am »

Wow - so much progress recently! 2 minor things I would like to ask though:

1st

Somehow i miss something alike to the old engravings, as I otherwise find it hard to distinguish between engraved and just smoothed walls (except for the floor tiles/parts of the tile)

2nd
The floodgates/wall grates tile - is there any particular reason why it is doorshaped? I am currently always mirroring its upper few pixels and place it over the bottom ones to get a somewhat circular grate.

Otherwise - as said, great improvements so far!

Azahiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: April 07, 2011, 12:03:14 pm »

1st

Somehow i miss something alike to the old engravings, as I otherwise find it hard to distinguish between engraved and just smoothed walls (except for the floor tiles/parts of the tile)

2nd
The floodgates/wall grates tile - is there any particular reason why it is doorshaped? I am currently always mirroring its upper few pixels and place it over the bottom ones to get a somewhat circular grate.

I have to agree to the first issue, the walls should be more distinguishable. Though I love the old walls over the new ones :P
And the second issue - my floodgates are that "X" tile, so they're ok I think. Although, I had a problem before that they were doorshaped. Fixed now in the new releases of the tileset.

Now my issues :)

There's something I wanted to ask before.

Left: Fungiwood is still trees... in the new "diagonal_Meld" set
Right: Wooden doors use the wall tile. It's like that for some time now. Is that supposed to be like that?

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: April 07, 2011, 12:19:07 pm »

1st

2nd

Otherwise - as said, great improvements so far!
Thanks.
I'll look into both problems. Can't promise anything about the wall grate tile, it's meant to represent a portcullis, which usually have stone arched tops as they kinda help keeping the bad guys from breaking the gate. If I change it I think I'll try to make it round.

1st

2nd

I have to agree to the first issue, the walls should be more distinguishable. Though I love the old walls over the new ones :P
And the second issue - my floodgates are that "X" tile, so they're ok I think. Although, I had a problem before that they were doorshaped. Fixed now in the new releases of the tileset.

Now my issues :)

There's something I wanted to ask before.

Left: Fungiwood is still trees... in the new "diagonal_Meld" set
Right: Wooden doors use the wall tile. It's like that for some time now. Is that supposed to be like that?
Edit: Are you sure you updated your raws? The updated tile # for Fungiwood is already in v07.

And wooden doors are hardcoded to use the vertical (N-S) wall tile. It'll be improved (if you can call it that) when I add back external dotted engravings to the old diagonal walls.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:22:19 pm by Phoebus »

Azahiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: April 07, 2011, 12:32:29 pm »

Edit: Are you sure you updated your raws? The updated tile # for Fungiwood is already in v07.

And wooden doors are hardcoded to use the vertical (N-S) wall tile. It'll be improved (if you can call it that) when I add back external dotted engravings to the old diagonal walls.

Yeah, I think I forgot about that...fixed now. Thanks :)

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: April 07, 2011, 12:35:57 pm »

Thanks.
I'll look into both problems. Can't promise anything about the wall grate tile, it's meant to represent a portcullis, which usually have stone arched tops as they kinda help keeping the bad guys from breaking the gate. If I change it I think I'll try to make it round.

Thanks ahead for the walls - and the grate ain't really a problem - I have a few tiles that I am always replacing; I kept the selection mask for them in a file - so thats each time just a few clicks to replace them with my choice.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: April 07, 2011, 01:34:34 pm »

Test tileset with both styles of engravings.
The new 'snakey' floors engravings are now slightly brighter in this version.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: April 07, 2011, 06:32:54 pm »

Darnit Phoebus, TOO MANY UPDATES, the LNP can't keep up with you (hehe) :P

By the way, would you mind if I included your embark whenever I release the next LNP?
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: April 07, 2011, 07:10:00 pm »

Darnit Phoebus, TOO MANY UPDATES, the LNP can't keep up with you (hehe) :P

By the way, would you mind if I included your embark whenever I release the next LNP?
You are welcome to include it in the LNP.

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: April 07, 2011, 08:30:32 pm »

'nother question as I have my first .25 game running now....
The Tile set for hives is functional until they are not installed - installed hives still look yellow and like timbers. So, why the table tile? Is there a way to (I haven't found one so far :( COLOR and BASIC_COLOR doesn't effect the tool colour... but maybe there is a way to cancel the allready present tag from the material?) to override the color attribute in the items_tool definition of the hive? I mean, if they are yellow (bees?) after all once placed, I think a yellow barrel tile would be more appropriate for it as a tool (or is there, besides my own modded giant bamboo tree, any wood (yes, I wanted those beds!) that uses yellow?)

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: April 08, 2011, 01:48:17 am »

'nother question as I have my first .25 game running now....
The Tile set for hives is functional until they are not installed - installed hives still look yellow and like timbers. So, why the table tile? Is there a way to (I haven't found one so far :( COLOR and BASIC_COLOR doesn't effect the tool colour... but maybe there is a way to cancel the allready present tag from the material?) to override the color attribute in the items_tool definition of the hive? I mean, if they are yellow (bees?) after all once placed, I think a yellow barrel tile would be more appropriate for it as a tool (or is there, besides my own modded giant bamboo tree, any wood (yes, I wanted those beds!) that uses yellow?)
*groans*
It seems I can change the tool/storage tile for nest boxes and hives, but not their constructed tiles.
I tried to use the table tile as the hive tile because I think it looks like a commercial hive; the base & legs looks like a box, the tabletop looks like a removable lid, and the gap between the table's legs looks like a bee entrance.
But I guess that's all for naught now, the hive tool tile association does not carry to it's built form, so I'll have to switch back to the log tile for hive 'tools' for consistency's sake.
Now I just have to fix the log tile.  :-\

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: April 08, 2011, 02:24:33 pm »

Using v7 I noticed that instead of the arrow for hunger/thirst/unhappy it appears to be using bulb plant tile.  I'm guessing thats hard coded to use that particular (down arrow) tile?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: April 08, 2011, 02:48:11 pm »

A couple minor nitpicks, mostly about the new mineral designation system:

- Why does bauxite have the 'special stone' tile? As far as I know there's basically nothing special about bauxite any more. It used to be one of the few magma safe stones, but now magma safe stones are a dime a dozen. Barring a mod that lets you smelt bauxite into aluminum I don't see any reason to denote bauxite as special.

- Why does garnierite have the 'valuable metal' tile? Garnierite smelts into nickel, a 2 value metal, and is used in one completely useless alloy (nickel silver) that has no value because you can make brass with the same ingredients minus nickel and actually get a value boost out of it. Basically, garnierite is the definition of a junk metal, best used for practice and bins. Sphalerite and even galena I can see purpose to giving the valuable metal tile, but not garnierite. (Although if it were up to me I'd bump sphalerite and galena down to normal metal.)

- Can we get iron ores into the 'valuable metal' tile? Hematite doesn't really need it seeing as it is the only red ore tile, but magnetite in particular is hard to differentiate from tetrahedrite. Iron ore is generally considered the most valuable metal one can find due to it's versatile usage (and it's high value -- iron has a value of 10, equal to silver and steel a value of 30, equal to gold) and while it doesn't necessarily need it's own tile it'd be nice for it to use the valuable metal tile.

Not complaining, don't get me wrong, just some suggestions / thoughts on the new mineral setups.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:50:02 pm by Khift »

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: April 08, 2011, 02:51:58 pm »

I believe bauxite is a "special stone" because it is the only stone that can contain rubies and sapphires. On the otherhand, post mineral scarcity, this doesn't seem to be true in all cases.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 140