Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 979285 times)

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.19v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Major Update!)
« Reply #585 on: February 18, 2011, 11:18:20 am »

I just tried downloading the pre-installed pack, but when I try to extract the WinRAR file, it says the file has an unknown filetype or is damaged. This while it says it's a WinRAR file...so I guess it must be damaged?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 18, 2011, 12:31:57 pm »

New dwarf tileset layout incoming:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've added a new tile for chief medical officer, and merged a bunch of tiles from Deon's dwarf tileset including the 5 new Farmer professions.

You can download the new dwarf tileset layout patch from the MediaFire mirror: Phoebus_DwarfLayout_2.0.zip

Yay!

Might want to change the reference link in the first post. It says 31.18 while DFFD says 31.19. ;)
Fixed! Thanks.

I just tried downloading the pre-installed pack, but when I try to extract the WinRAR file, it says the file has an unknown filetype or is damaged. This while it says it's a WinRAR file...so I guess it must be damaged?
It's a zip, not a rar.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 01:10:01 pm by Phoebus »

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 18, 2011, 12:45:51 pm »

Huh. Is it? Fairly sure it said WinRAR.

Oh well. Thanks!
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 18, 2011, 12:58:31 pm »

Huh. Is it? Fairly sure it said WinRAR.

Oh well. Thanks!
The file is a zip, but WinRAR can open zip files (at least some of them.)
The pre-packaged version should be around 9.16 megabytes, verify if the download completed correctly.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 18, 2011, 06:29:40 pm »

Just wanted to say thanks for an awesome tileset! looks great while giving plenty of tile details without tiling problems even with my entire residential area being made up of gypsum!

+1 internets to you good sir

Mkombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 19, 2011, 07:37:57 am »

I'm going to try your tileset for the very first time. I've been using mayday up until now, but yours is updated. It looks good.. and I hear about this one all the time. Thanks for working so quickly on it!

ArcaneBoozery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 19, 2011, 02:55:48 pm »

Thank you very much for the quick update, Phoebus. Some potential issues I've noticed from playing with the latest update:

- A duckling was following one of my dwarfs around and it had a weird graphic, just looked like a small yellowish dot

- one of the farmer dwarves had a blue ghostlike graphic (in the update notes, it says you are using some new graphics for farmers, but this one looks very undeadlike and quite different from the other dwarves)

- while one of my dwarves was sleeping, his graphic changed to dead dwarf graphic (interchanged with the Z character as usual)

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 19, 2011, 03:18:38 pm »

Thank you very much for the quick update, Phoebus. Some potential issues I've noticed from playing with the latest update:

- A duckling was following one of my dwarfs around and it had a weird graphic, just looked like a small yellowish dot

- one of the farmer dwarves had a blue ghostlike graphic (in the update notes, it says you are using some new graphics for farmers, but this one looks very undeadlike and quite different from the other dwarves)

- while one of my dwarves was sleeping, his graphic changed to dead dwarf graphic (interchanged with the Z character as usual)
Is that with or without installing Phoebus_DwarfLayout_2.0.zip?

The egg problem I expected. I set bird childs to the egg graphics, I do not yet know the exact tag that identify the egg stage of creatures (if there is one)

The farmer was most likely one of the new profession, which has no associated tile, so the game uses the default dwarf tile and colors that tile blue.

I have no idea about the sleeping dwarf, were all your dwarves having the same problem? If not, what was special about that dwarf?

I'm going to try your tileset for the very first time. I've been using mayday up until now, but yours is updated. It looks good.. and I hear about this one all the time. Thanks for working so quickly on it!
Thanks, and good luck. :)

Just wanted to say thanks for an awesome tileset! looks great while giving plenty of tile details without tiling problems even with my entire residential area being made up of gypsum!

+1 internets to you good sir
I'm happy that you appreciate my design decisions. :)

Phoebus stores the ☼internets☼ in a (+series of tubes (clear glass)+).

Edit.: I've just updated the credits (that was long due), and noted exceptional contribution of Deon to the creature tilesets. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 04:33:51 pm by Phoebus »

ArcaneBoozery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 19, 2011, 05:25:25 pm »

Is that with or without installing Phoebus_DwarfLayout_2.0.zip?

I just downloaded the 31.19 version of the preinstalled package of your tileset with the game.

The egg problem I expected. I set bird childs to the egg graphics, I do not yet know the exact tag that identify the egg stage of creatures (if there is one)

The farmer was most likely one of the new profession, which has no associated tile, so the game uses the default dwarf tile and colors that tile blue.

Ok, I didn't realize that was an egg. :D Why is the tile colored blue for the farmer? If it was just the default dwarf (peasant i think) tile, would be fine, but the blue makes it seem a bit ghostly. Anyway, not a big deal.

I have no idea about the sleeping dwarf, were all your dwarves having the same problem? If not, what was special about that dwarf?

I didn't play for a long time (was watching the new things too much and started digging a well too late, water froze and...  ::) ), but in that time, only saw one dwarf look dead while sleeping, once he woke up, he looked normal again. I'll look for that next game I play, and if I see anything more, I'll post it. Don't recall his profession.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 20, 2011, 11:12:09 am »

Comming soon: Rabbits & Cavies!

Ok, I didn't realize that was an egg. :D Why is the tile colored blue for the farmer? If it was just the default dwarf (peasant i think) tile, would be fine, but the blue makes it seem a bit ghostly. Anyway, not a big deal.
Blue color? I don't know.
Peasants are cyan/teal. Farmers brown. Fishery Workers blue.
When a dwarf becomes a master in a profession, it will start to flash grey with a blue background. (Annoying!!!!)

Download the separate dwarf layout 2.0 file I've linked to earlier, it contains all the new professions. *

*Results may vary.

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 20, 2011, 08:50:59 pm »

Phoebus: 1.st Thank you! Forgiven the quirks, that graphic set is really great! And I really appreciate your work on it! Especially as I used in Pre DF2010 times a modified Guybrush for Fonts and Sphr's Set for GFX :D

But now as I had grown my first legendary (eye cancer causing) dorks - and tried via the wiki to find out what alpha channel or such to use to no avail - ... - how can I modify the png, or whatever raw would be suitable, to have that flashing blue/grey just be noticable again on the icon of the persona and not the whole tile? In Ironhands/Tile Magic Set the flashing is barely noticeable around the entity.... but I guess thats because of the dark black/(gr(a/e)y) background he is using.... but thats how I remember it from 40d SDL times with my used GFX sets...

That is some semi-problem I can do with - but some question where I wasn't able to find a guide for, so I am not able to fix it myself. If you can provide me/us with the right hint what I may have to alter in just the <dwarf>.png or some <raw> to let it appear once again as just a flashing entity and not a bright flashing square tile... well, speaking cyberpunk(tm) that would be worth a small favour [edit: aka as a free beer or such if you ever be in Berlin(GE), ok let that be 2 free beer + 1 free single malt -> beer+malt for the effort allready invested and hopefully continued, plus one beer for the hint...]...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:04:52 pm by Shandra »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 20, 2011, 09:21:13 pm »

The blinking "blue" takes the whole transparent area around your sprite, so if you blacken most of that, you lose the "whole tile blinking".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 20, 2011, 09:41:11 pm »

The blinking "blue" takes the whole transparent area around your sprite, so if you blacken most of that, you lose the "whole tile blinking".

Thanks!
That what was what I thought or learned from Ironhands Set. But As I had Phoebus' PNG in my GFX application and noticed that the real pixels used for the Icons where 100% density and the really light brownish pixels around them had just ~10-20% density I thought (or wished) that there could be some alpha channel magic to play with - Now with DF2010 I really just want to darken the surrounding of the icon, not like 40d times or Ironhands (ok, he's meddling with the dark gray general ground pattern to hide that) to get a black square as background, but to have that transparency+no noticeable flashing square (even with ironhands it is recogniceable, but so darkened that it ain't be obvious) would be really nice :D

But I guess via your answer that this will be impossible... sigh.

P.S.: Or in other words: with my GFX Application (Paint Shop Pro 10) I have no Idea how to select or mask the semi transparent pixels and darken them in a single click.... so far I am just able to add another Raster Layer, setting that to black and saving the merged layers as a new png.... and setting the black layer to only xx% visibility ain't doing the trick because both raster layers will be merged once saving and then the black pixels of Raster2 (underlying 1) merged into Raster1 will be greyish (transparency% of that black layer) 100% density :sigh:

P.P.S.: Really Thank you... I just messed up in that it ain't be the visibillity% setting of the raster layer merged - but filling that underlying layer with a 80% denistity black and then having them merged is doing the trick.... Thanks! beer+malt to phoebus if he ever is touring in berlin, and that one beer to you [Deon] for hinting me in the right direction!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:12:52 pm by Shandra »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 20, 2011, 10:16:20 pm »

Thanks!
That what was what I thought or learned from Ironhands Set. But As I had Phoebus' PNG in my GFX application and noticed that the real pixels used for the Icons where 100% density and the really light brownish pixels around them had just ~10-20% density I thought (or wished) that there could be some alpha channel magic to play with - Now with DF2010 I really just want to darken the surrounding of the icon, not like 40d times or Ironhands (ok, he's meddling with the dark gray general ground pattern to hide that) to get a black square as background, but to have that transparency+no noticeable flashing square (even with ironhands it is recogniceable, but so darkened that it ain't be obvious) would be really nice :D

But I guess via your answer that this will be impossible... sigh.

P.S.: Or in other words: with my GFX Application (Paint Shop Pro 10) I have no Idea how to select or mask the semi transparent pixels and darken them in a single click.... so far I am just able to add another Raster Layer, setting that to black and saving the merged layers as a new png.... and setting the black layer to only xx% visibility ain't doing the trick because both raster layers will be merged once saving and then the black pixels of Raster2 (underlying 1) merged into Raster1 will be greyish (transparency% of that black layer) 100% density :sigh:

P.P.S.: Really Thank you... I just messed up in that it ain't be the visibillity% setting of the raster layer merged - but filling that underlying layer with a 80% denistity black and then having them merged is doing the trick.... Thanks! beer+malt to phoebus if he ever is touring in berlin, and that one beer to you [Deon] for hinting me in the right direction!
When you say "density", do you mean "opacity" (i.e., the opposite of "transparency")?
The portion of the tile that is transparent is what is changing on the dwarves that are flashing.  Depending on the alpha value of the individual pixels, even portions of the dwarf itself might be flashing.  It actually shouldn't be too hard to modify the dwarven tiles so the flashing is limited to a border around the dwarf instead of the entire surrounding tile. /contemplates doing just that ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 20, 2011, 10:26:48 pm »

When you say "density", do you mean "opacity" (i.e., the opposite of "transparency")?

I am really not sure, because the application I am using is in german and what I roughly translated as density is named in german as Deckfähigkeit - so yes, it is in german terms the opposite to transparency and my fault in translating it.... (well, even if I am native german - my use of the german and english tongue is somewhat crazed.... in fact if I am writing/spelling/thinking or whatsoever in one tongue I am not able to grasp the other other one word by word, or better to say semantic by context.... those language minds of mine are totally apart from each other in my brain (and I am working in either one but not both at the same time) - and that may be a reason why I never went beyond a C+/B- in each of them)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:29:27 pm by Shandra »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 140