Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 979512 times)

gramks2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.12v03] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Tileset improvements)
« Reply #285 on: August 27, 2010, 03:28:07 pm »

What's the possibility of changing creatures so that when in cages they flash a certain color background (maybe gray), and when they're dead their background changes to red instead of it making the letter and flashing that?

As of now, using the Meld version the creatures (such as harpies) appear as 'h' with brown text on red background when dead, but they use images when alive.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 28, 2010, 12:09:57 am »

What's the possibility of changing creatures so that when in cages they flash a certain color background (maybe gray), and when they're dead their background changes to red instead of it making the letter and flashing that?

As of now, using the Meld version the creatures (such as harpies) appear as 'h' with brown text on red background when dead, but they use images when alive.
I wish I knew how I could do that. Before DF2010 it worked correctly, but since there dead/caged creatures default to their ASCII character.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 29, 2010, 01:26:42 am »

Yeah, I was noticing that as well (hunter chasing a mountain goat, but brings back a nice red 'g' to the butcher).  I'm sure its on the list of things to fix, but probably not near the top right now.

BTW, I decided to post my modified version of your tileset, Phoebus.  The images I changed were: web/raw gem; left, right, up and down triangles (smoothed things a bit and made them all of uniform size (but with individualized shadowing for better display); and the wall tiles (since I prefer square corners to the diagonals, even though the diagonals were well done).

The web/raw gem is my favorite of the ones I did, by the way. :D  I just made the change to the walls so engravings show up correctly, but haven't actually viewed them in game yet, so if anyone actually uses these and they don't come out well, I'd like to offer my apologies now.  Feel free to nab my changes if you want to include them.

[edit]  I updated the tileset to fix the way engraved walls look, for those that were actually interested in using it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 09:30:55 pm by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

gramks2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 29, 2010, 09:01:59 am »

I like the idea of making the arrows similar, but I would have preferred using the smaller arrows so that they're less invasive. Perhaps raw gems should get their own tile (out of the free tiles) and webs use the tile that's already in use for them? Or.. if the web tile is used for other things, like text, then maybe switch both out? Not sure about all the tile uses...

What I did for the squared walls; just copy and paste the appropriate corner onto the diagonal tile (make sure you wipe the tile clean before pasting). It worked out really well, I thoroughly enjoy the results.

Something else I was thinking of; I recently embarked on a coastal area and I noticed that the sea foam shows up as the ring tile. My idea originally was to change the coin tile to be a small pile of coins similar in looks to the UO coins...

...if the color of those coins is changed they could also represent sea foam very well. Or just bubbles/foam in general. Also Row 16 Column 10 looks like it would be perfect for raw gems, just need to reassign in the raws, right?

My thoughts are a bit scrambled, here's a bullet point list.
  • Small arrows, uniform appearance; Row 2, column 16.
  • Row 16, column 10; Use this for raw gems.
  • Webs get their own tile that looks like a web.
  • A sea foam/coin pile tile.

/2cents

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 29, 2010, 05:08:53 pm »

I could have just copied in walls I liked from another tileset, however, I was bit by the "Lets see if I can do good walls" bug instead. :D

Just started a new fort, so I don't have a lot of constructed/smoothed walls to show, but here's how my changes look in game:

(I'm seriously considering working on an improved barrel next ...)

[edit: oh carp! i've got elephants here?! i hope this doesn't turn out like Boatmurdered ...]
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 05:14:04 pm by krenshala »
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 29, 2010, 05:44:31 pm »

I could have just copied in walls I liked from another tileset, however, I was bit by the "Lets see if I can do good walls" bug instead. :D

Just started a new fort, so I don't have a lot of constructed/smoothed walls to show, but here's how my changes look in game:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(I'm seriously considering working on an improved barrel next ...)
That's how it starts. Next thing you know, you're announcing Krenshala's tileset.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 30, 2010, 08:44:46 am »

The web/raw gem is my favorite of the ones I did, by the way. :D  I just made the change to the walls so engravings show up correctly, but haven't actually viewed them in game yet, so if anyone actually uses these and they don't come out well, I'd like to offer my apologies now.  Feel free to nab my changes if you want to include them.
I agree about the web/raw gem tile, it's really nice. I'll include it in my next update. Thank you. :)

BTW, I decided to post my modified version of your tileset, Phoebus.  The images I changed were: web/raw gem; left, right, up and down triangles (smoothed things a bit and made them all of uniform size (but with individualized shadowing for better display); and the wall tiles (since I prefer square corners to the diagonals, even though the diagonals were well done).
The reason the triangles weren't uniform in size was to add a perspective effect to up/down ramps. With small down arrows it's really easy to recognize and understand the nature of down ramps. (At least it does in my mind. :P )

I like the idea of making the arrows similar, but I would have preferred using the smaller arrows so that they're less invasive. Perhaps raw gems should get their own tile (out of the free tiles) and webs use the tile that's already in use for them? Or.. if the web tile is used for other things, like text, then maybe switch both out? Not sure about all the tile uses...

What I did for the squared walls; just copy and paste the appropriate corner onto the diagonal tile (make sure you wipe the tile clean before pasting). It worked out really well, I thoroughly enjoy the results.
I wish I could use a specific tile for raw gems, and another one for web, but AFAIK they are both hardcoded. (I've tried switching the raw gems tile in the raws without any success.)

The small arrows are a good suggestion, and I'm going to try those squared walls.

Something else I was thinking of; I recently embarked on a coastal area and I noticed that the sea foam shows up as the ring tile. My idea originally was to change the coin tile to be a small pile of coins similar in looks to the UO coins...
That would be quite hard to implement well in a 16x16 tile. That's to replace the large coin tile with the "$" sign?

And you did. :D
Those are some of the best DF walls I've seen. I like the sharp wall pattern (light-black-dark-black-light).

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 31, 2010, 02:18:14 am »

The web/raw gem is my favorite ... Feel free to nab my changes if you want to include them.
I agree about the web/raw gem tile, it's really nice. I'll include it in my next update. Thank you. :)
No, no; thank you! Since you liked that (and the walls) I'm definitely going to work on a barrel when I get the time. :D

... my modified version of your tileset, Phoebus ... left, right, up and down triangles (smoothed things a bit and made them all of uniform size (but with individualized shadowing for better display) ...
The reason the triangles weren't uniform in size was to add a perspective effect to up/down ramps. With small down arrows it's really easy to recognize and understand the nature of down ramps. (At least it does in my mind. :P )

I like the idea of making the arrows similar, but I would have preferred using the smaller arrows so that they're less invasive.
Hmmm ... hadn't thought of it that way.  I used the shadowing for the same effect -- the down arrow has more of the tile in "shadow" than the up arrow does so it appears more subdued.  Luckily I work from the .xcf file (layers for the win!) so 'fixing' my arrows is relatively easy if I decide to change things again. ;)

... I'm going to try those squared walls.
And you did. :D
Those are some of the best DF walls I've seen. I like the sharp wall pattern (light-black-dark-black-light).
Yeah, my original design was horrible -- you couldn't tell what the hell was going on while still being able to see which way the wall went.  Rivers on embark selection looked OK, but that didn't make up for how things looked while actually playing.  :-[  I tried something else, noticed how it displayed, played with it a bit, then again, and ended up with what I've got now.  I'm not happy with the engraving indicator now that i've seen it in game, however, as I think its too harsh a transition (the background part is totally transparent, and I think partial transparency would look better) but the son and day job have kept me from finding the time to fix it ... yet. :D

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 31, 2010, 10:51:34 pm »

Woohoo! I never did get around to swapping that tile out on my end, as I stopped playing DF for a bit shortly after I asked about it. Nice to see someone come up with something far better than I could have jiggered.
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 01, 2010, 12:17:16 am »

It would seem that I am having issues installing your mod in Dwarf Fortress.  :(  I am running Windows 7 64-bit if that matters.  :/  Also, what would I need to do if I plan on combining yours and ironhands mods?  (I like your stone etc. better but the plants on ironhands are nice)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 02, 2010, 07:06:44 am »

It would seem that I am having issues installing your mod in Dwarf Fortress.  :(  I am running Windows 7 64-bit if that matters.  :/  Also, what would I need to do if I plan on combining yours and ironhands mods?  (I like your stone etc. better but the plants on ironhands are nice)
Are you using the pre-installed package?
And, sadly, mixing my mod's stones with ironhand's plants would require making a new mod as the two parts you wish to combine both change the raws and the tileset in different incompatible ways.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 07, 2010, 01:11:46 am »

Phoebus, you don't happen to have a list of what changes are required to recreate your mod, do you?  Having a checklist as it were would allow someone to add some (or all) of your changes to another mod.  Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one that is curious about just how much needed to be changed to get your mod working as it does.  If you don't have it available then no need to go through the effort.  Eventually I'll have more free time and can play with diff to find them on my own. ;)

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 07, 2010, 02:42:41 am »

Hey Xenos.
I think you're problem might be simply with Phoebus's init settings.
Try editing init.txt and changing
[PRINT_MODE:STANDARD]
to
[PRINT_MODE:2D]

Several other people with windows 7/4bit have run into similiar problems with the "standard" print mode.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.13v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Updated & New Tileset)
« Reply #298 on: September 15, 2010, 11:19:41 am »

*Updated* 0.31.13v00
Updated to DF 0.31.13
Changed the Rough Gem, Web & Masterpiece tile.
Added the custom tileset Kren to the list of alternate tilesets. (Made by krenshala)

theqmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.13v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Updated & New Tileset)
« Reply #299 on: September 15, 2010, 12:00:56 pm »

Wow, you're fast!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 140