Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 979088 times)

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hard to tell..
Left side is more retro, but still right has some appeal .... wait... nope, IMHO Left is better, for the darker border the diagonal lines/visualized width problem is more observable (inner edge looksappears far thicker than the outer diagonal line).
And yes, the broader border is an improvement (IMHO again, maybe 1 pixel would have been enough - but they are much better than the 1st. version)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 05:19:38 pm by Shandra »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile

Why?! Why would you show us something like that? When you've just given us the other new mindblowing walls.

Are you trying to make us all go insane from awesome? Because I may die, Phoebus.  You're killing me.

I like the second one  :D
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why didn't I try this first?

Spoiler: Laurel and Hardy (click to show/hide)

Do the directional shadows even matter on these walls?

Edit: Test with static shadows. The inner shadow could be too strong.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 05:49:18 pm by Phoebus »

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Def. not Laurel (Doof), and Hardy (Dick) was better - but I think with the 'in-between' size you got it :D
[Edit: Stan and Ollie where known in Germany as Dick (Fat) and Doof (stupid)]
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:04:53 pm by Shandra »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh the shadows really make it pop a bit.  This is what I'm talking about here.  That first one is a fine, sturdy, DWARVEN wall! AYE!

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like the static shadows. The other walls look sorta... fuzzy. I think that's the best way to describe it.

Here's a tileset I've been fooling around with. It's got Kren's Walls + Grimdark Plants + the old Floor design.

Edit: Wow. How'd I miss the metal ore tile? That needs to be fixed.

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like the static shadows. The other walls look sorta... fuzzy.

Oops, that would have been some of the words I've searched for the shadows... hazy or sort of antialiased would have been others - but maybe that always (and maybe the reason that I seem to always pick the opposite then the majority) depends on your monitor settings ;) I am working on my diploma (yes, I really have NO time for DF - sigh-)  and working with GIS maps and remote sensing data - and therefore I still stick to my CRT (more colours than a TFT, at least if I remember my Matrox FAQ right) and to a calibration of my monitor that really has only 0/0/0 as pure black, because I need to see the differences in that tiny shades of gray/near black (*1) - so my 1st thought was with the shadows "somewhat fuzzy" and without it, it was "pure"  *2 (or as Jeoshua had said "fine, sturdy, DWARVEN")... but take my words, I am no reference on that in context "DF" :p

Edit: *1: Wich in my long ago 1st person shooter times where considered by many friends as cheating - because I had compared to their monitor setups something alike to night-visions.... but in the end they had to accept that only pitch black is black....

*2: (in scientific context:) blocky is pure, antialiased is loss of data....
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 07:17:55 pm by Shandra »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Which alternate tileset do you use?

Default: 22 (41.5%)
Diagonal Walls: 8 (15.1%)
Diagonal Walls & Meld: 8 (15.1%)
Guybrush Font: 5 (9.4%)
Kren Walls: 3 (5.7%)
Martin Font: 1 (1.9%)
Meld: 2 (3.8%)
Punctuation: 0 (0%)
Punctuation & Meld: 2 (3.8%)
Solid: 0 (0%)
Square Walls: 2 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That means 22% of the people who voted just go with whatever you think is awesome, and the other 78% can't agree on which flavor of awesome they like most, tho diagonal wins out.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 07:20:37 pm by Phoebus »

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Strange - if they still supply the pictures previously linked to..... Ok, seem to be fixed and I wonder why it changed my quote while I was typing and you changed the content..... (And from that picture - why do my mind is yelling "Lotus Blossom" right now??? And from the picture below my post "Yehaa - PacMan" :P Nice!)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 07:26:31 pm by Shandra »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pillars are not done yet.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gotta say it, I still like the squared off, shadowed version best.  The circles make it seem a bit too smooth.  Less "stony", more "plasticy"

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Strange - if they still supply the pictures previously linked to..... Ok, seem to be fixed and I wonder why it changed my quote while I was typing and you changed the content..... (And from that picture - why do my mind is yelling "Lotus Blossom" right now??? And from the picture below my post "Yehaa - PacMan" :P Nice!)
Shandra's mind has been successfully blown.
Although "Pacman" and "Lotus Blossom" were not the reactions I was expecting. :P

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gotta say it, I still like the squared off, shadowed version best.  The circles make it seem a bit too smooth.  Less "stony", more "plasticy"
Yeah, I agree, maybe a texture could make the round walls seem less "plasticy" as you say.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 140