Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 979350 times)

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.18v04] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Brown is the new black)
« Reply #525 on: January 12, 2011, 10:26:00 am »

I too have noticed that the tile used to mark "withered plants" is the same one that is used for clusters of Morion -- that is, a Gem symbol with 1 dot below it colored dark gray.  I assumed that this is working as intended, but if not...then I'm reporting it.

Secondly, I'm fairly sure that the images for Donkeys and Mules are reversed.  Donkeys are appearing with brown coats, and Mules seem to have gray coats.

Thanks for confirming the plant problem.
About the Donkeys and Mules. They both come in brown and gray. Bane gave them those colors so I've not changed them. For the sake of not confusing the current tileset users, I'm don't intend to switch their colors.
Donkeys and mules both being both colors?  Madness!!!!  How are you supposed to tell them apart?  In the two forts I've played since I first switched to the Phoebus tileset, it seems to have been very consistent that donkeys are appearing brown and mules gray.

In my prior DF experience, playing with Mayday's tileset, it seemed to be fairly consistent that donkeys were gray and mules were brown, and I just took it as given that that was how you told them apart.  It is possible that I have both brown and gray donkeys but have only paid attention to the exceptions, but it does seem to be pretty darned consistent.  If I wanted to make all mules brown, how would I go about this?
In graphics_phoebus_animals.txt find this part:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Change the mules from (4-7):2 to (4-7):3.
And the donkeys from (4-7):3 to (4-7):2.

Another thing I've been noticing, from a disambiguation point of view, is that natural Ice Floors and Ice Walls look fairly indistinguishable.  Same pattern for both of them, except that floors are darker than walls.
Ice walls use the 100% opaque tile, while the ice floors use the 75% opaque tile. They are meant to look very similar, although the ascii tilesets use dithering so are easier to distinguish. Smoothing the ice floors (MADNESS!) makes them easily distinguishable from ice walls. I can't think of a good way to make ice tunnels easier to distinguish without significantly altering the feel of the rest of the game. (The transition from 100% to 75% to 50% is meant to be smooth.) I'll ponder on the problem.
The reason I brought this up is that in the Mayday tileset (yeah, there I go again "mayday this, mayday that...") ice floors are easily distinguishable from walls because they use a different texture altogether.  They use a texture similar to that of other ground tiles. 

I think that's the issue, really, because the current tiles you're using for ice-floors is the same as that of the walls.  All other substances have a different graphic for when they are a wall or a floor.  Also, the ice-floor squares have strongly visible boundaries between them, unlike the floors of any other material, making them look much more similar to a wall than anything suggestive of floor.
Ok, I've tried your suggestion; I've removed the borders around 25%, 50% & 75% tiles, this is the result:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lastly, while I'm complaining about your wonderful work, I've noticed that everything is really quite dark.  It does add to the "subterranean" vibe, but I think it's going a bit far when smoothed Marble floors appear as a middling gray.  I always like to make my hospitals out of the whitest materials, and while this works fine for the walls, even the whitest stone floors are disappointingly dull, especially in contrast with the Silver Operating Table, Traction Bench, and Tower-Cap beds.

How would I go about it if I wanted to make my "whites whiter and brights brighter"?
The floors are meant to be dull. The contrast highlights the actual important objects in the room such as traction bench, beds, dwarves & unspeakable horrors.

It would be very hard to change the brightness of floor tiles.
Which is your favorite tileset variant? (you seem to be using the default)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:31:20 am by Phoebus »

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 12, 2011, 02:04:08 pm »

Thanks for all the help!  I've never looked at all the variants before, I'll go do that now.  I think the ice caverns will look awesome.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 12, 2011, 05:01:10 pm »

Thanks for all the help!  I've never looked at all the variants before, I'll go do that now.  I think the ice caverns will look awesome.
I've already made the 'meld' version of that change.
You can download it from imgur if you like:
I'll wait a bit for some feedback from this tileset and the plant fix before I release the next version.
I want to make sure there's no side-effect and that everything works first. Too many releases.

Edit.: The 'ice' change also makes the smoke and steam look much better.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:36:25 pm by Phoebus »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 13, 2011, 03:52:11 pm »

Would it be possible for the (normal) stone tiles to look like soil tiles and the soil tiles to look like a rougher version of what it looks now? I really like how metal/diamonds/fuel look but all the stones are annoying ...

I really like your pack though!

EDIT: I don;t know if this is just me or because of your mod but the intro movie(s) are kinda... weird, blue blocks everywhere and stuff I think it is your pack but I'm probably wrong
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:55:28 pm by Dutchling »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 13, 2011, 05:43:03 pm »

Would it be possible for the (normal) stone tiles to look like soil tiles and the soil tiles to look like a rougher version of what it looks now? I really like how metal/diamonds/fuel look but all the stones are annoying ...

I really like your pack though!

EDIT: I don;t know if this is just me or because of your mod but the intro movie(s) are kinda... weird, blue blocks everywhere and stuff I think it is your pack but I'm probably wrong
Did you try the alternative tileset? Phoebus_16x16_Meld.png
It has no symbols for layer stones and normal stones.

I know that's not very useful but the intro works fine for me. Also, there's graphic corruption bug in the intro if the window gets resized while the animation is going.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.18v05] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Tileset fix)
« Reply #530 on: January 20, 2011, 08:29:02 pm »

*Updated* 0.31.18v05
Improved the tiles for ice cave floors, smoke, cloud, steam & more.
Fixed a display bug with rotted plants.

Aydjile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.18v05] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Tileset fix)
« Reply #531 on: January 24, 2011, 08:42:03 am »

thank you, for your great work Phoebus! this is my most favored tileset.
much love and keep em coming!
Reality exists is only in our imagination.

Мой канал о жизни крепостей из Дварф Фортресс - https://www.youtube.com/user/Aydjile

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 30, 2011, 09:05:44 am »

Anyone else having quarry bushes as plain black or brown squares, or is it just me?
This is a blank sig.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 30, 2011, 09:07:35 am »

You have to repace PICKED_TILE:'"' with an actual tile number (I think it's 34), so it would be PICKED_TILE:34.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 30, 2011, 10:59:31 am »

quarry bush display just fine on my comp, using 18.5.

And '"' is a legit tag, btw.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 31, 2011, 04:53:11 am »

Anyone else having quarry bushes as plain black or brown squares, or is it just me?
Using the "meld" tileset in version 04, I have noticed this.  It looks the same as it did in Mayday's tileset.  I don't know though whether the "meld" tileset is bugged or if I've just never payed much attention to quarry bushes in general.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 01, 2011, 02:34:00 am »

I've uploaded a version of plant_standard.txt including Deon's suggested change. I do not know if it fixes the problem, but it's worth a try if the problem annoys you.
http://www.mediafire.com/?0zoa1q6bk5dmx85
Place the file in /raw/objects/.
If you only placed the file in the root directory remember to run the savegame updater.

Nopkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 05, 2011, 10:57:40 pm »

Question/Request- any way to make a compatible version for the newest Civilization Mod? I didn't know if I needed to ask here or there, but mainly I want YOUR ore/metal/gem tileset on that mod...I love being able to see what turns into iron at a glance or the expected value of gems etc etc

-Jobs are to be assigned to Dwarves in alphabetical order, regardless of skill or specialization.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 06, 2011, 10:34:20 am »

Then it may be computer-specific, something with directx or something... Because '"' is not a valid tag for bushes for me, it displays black square. And not only for me, many people reported it in Genesis before I fixed it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 06, 2011, 10:42:46 am »

Then it may be computer-specific, something with directx or something... Because '"' is not a valid tag for bushes for me, it displays black square. And not only for me, many people reported it in Genesis before I fixed it.
dunno how a character could be related to directx =| but it's definitely computer specific cause I've used '"' and has issues before. See:
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 140