Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 979357 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.18v03] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Bogeymen & Night Creatures)
« Reply #510 on: January 04, 2011, 03:45:28 am »

Another quick question: How do you tell the difference between Bituminous Coal and Lignite?  I know in the Mayday graphics pack they are different symbols, but they seem to be the same here.  Am I missing something, and/or is there something I can change to disambiguate the two?
Lignite is 'brown coal'.

Coal transformation follows this path (low quality -> high quality):
Lignite -> Bituminous Coal -> Anthracite (not in game) -> Graphite & Diamonds (protip: do not set diamonds on fire)

Although lignite is called brown coal, the 'brown' part is the impurities, and most lignite is greyish with a small tint of brownish colors.
If you still wish to change the color of lignite to brown, find [INORGANIC:LIGNITE] in "inorganic_stone_mineral.txt" (in your savegame) and in it's description change the
[DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1]
to
[DISPLAY_COLOR:0:6:1]
Thanks, I'll try that.  I was surprised at first that this mod which seems to specialize in quick visual disambiguation of minerals would have both kinds of coal show up with the same graphic.

Two more questions about the "red mud" issue:
-Do you know how Mayday managed to get brown mud?  Blood was still red, so it probably wasn't a fundamental change to a base color.
-What color is mud in the default ASCII graphics?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.18v04] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Brown is the new black)
« Reply #511 on: January 04, 2011, 10:36:58 am »

*Updated* 0.31.18v04
Goblin, Kobold, Blizzard Man & Creeping Eye are now displayed correctly in the dark.
Mud is now brown.
Lignite is now brown.
Made a slight change to the color brown.
Fixed a bug in the savegame updater.
Moved the gnomes around in the creature tilesets.

Tryntu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.18v04] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Brown is the new black)
« Reply #512 on: January 04, 2011, 08:51:12 pm »

woo! brown mud! (cannot believe those words just went through my head.. rofl.)

also, now my roommate wont walk by my computer and go WTF are you doing you mass murderer. every. time. (even though he plays with your (awesome) tileset too, the bugger.) he gets bop.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 04, 2011, 09:35:01 pm »

Heck yeah new and improved BROWN!
Just curious, what was the bug in the savegame updater? Wanna make sure I didn't mimic it in the new Lazy Newb Pack (which does its save-game updating internally)
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 05, 2011, 08:25:42 am »

Heck yeah new and improved BROWN!
Just curious, what was the bug in the savegame updater? Wanna make sure I didn't mimic it in the new Lazy Newb Pack (which does its save-game updating internally)
The updater was truncating directory names with spaces in them.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 05, 2011, 11:11:56 am »

How did you get mud that was brown?  What terrible price did you pay?  Are you now condemned to wander the lands eternally, never resting until your graphics-pack is "complete"?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 05, 2011, 11:54:04 am »

How did you get mud that was brown?  What terrible price did you pay?  Are you now condemned to wander the lands eternally, never resting until your graphics-pack is "complete"?
<hides the goat carcass>

The mud color bug comes from an incomplete DF feature, full RGB color support.
"descriptor_color_standard.txt" has an association list of color names and their RGB values.
Mud is associated with the color brown which has the listed RGB value 150:75:0 .
But the game doesn't support RGB colors yet so the game finds the closest match in the 4bit(16) color palette.
Somehow, the algorithm was finding that 170:0:0 (dark red) was closer to 150:75:0 than 120:94:47 (old brown).
So I changed the brown color in the 4bit palette to 140:80:25 and now it's considered closer to 150:75:0 than dark red, and mud is being assigned to the correct color.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 05, 2011, 12:17:42 pm »

<hides the goat carcass>

"descriptor_color_standard.txt" has an association list of color names and their RGB values.
Mud is associated with the color brown which has the listed RGB value 150:75:0 .
But the game doesn't support RGB colors yet so the game finds the closest match in the 4bit(16) color palette.
Somehow, the algorithm was finding that 170:0:0 (dark red) was closer to 150:75:0 than 120:94:47 (old brown).
So I changed the brown color in the 4bit palette to 140:80:25 and now it's considered closer to 150:75:0 than dark red, and mud is being assigned to the correct color.
So basically you didnt change anything in the raw? GOOD, cause having to update raw is the least thing I want to do now.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 05, 2011, 12:54:28 pm »

<hides the goat carcass>

So basically you didnt change anything in the raw? GOOD, cause having to update raw is the least thing I want to do now.
The brown color change and mud fix only required a change in "init/colors.txt"
But the lignite, glowing eyes and gnomes changes did affect the raws (graphics only for the gnomes.)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 06, 2011, 09:46:23 pm »

But the lignite, glowing eyes and gnomes changes did affect the raws (graphics only for the gnomes.)
are you sure the glowing eyes did affect raw? I was looking at the raw and it's still 164
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 07, 2011, 07:37:41 am »

hmm, i might found some little "gfx bugs", not 100 % sure if its my fault or because of that tile changeing of the past tileset patches:

-withered plants (prickle berries, rat weed, etc) show a "diamond 1 tile".
not the actual "plants" but when you i.e. harvest plants and keep the berries on the ground to wither, then that icon appears.

-dacite stone:
it shows a blue-ish tile when its in the ground... shows a gray-ish stone when its mined... shows blue when build in furniture (a door/floodgate)... and gray when build for workshops or finished goods like crafts.

(not sure but could be a similar color problem with ryolite stone)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:35:04 pm by Nelia Hawk »

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 10, 2011, 06:46:08 pm »

I too have noticed that the tile used to mark "withered plants" is the same one that is used for clusters of Morion -- that is, a Gem symbol with 1 dot below it colored dark gray.  I assumed that this is working as intended, but if not...then I'm reporting it.

Secondly, I'm fairly sure that the images for Donkeys and Mules are reversed.  Donkeys are appearing with brown coats, and Mules seem to have gray coats.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 11, 2011, 07:14:33 pm »

Another thing I've been noticing, from a disambiguation point of view, is that natural Ice Floors and Ice Walls look fairly indistinguishable.  Same pattern for both of them, except that floors are darker than walls.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 11, 2011, 11:17:19 pm »

Sorry for the delay everyone.

are you sure the glowing eyes did affect raw? I was looking at the raw and it's still 164
You seem to be right, I must have applied the change on v03.

hmm, i might found some little "gfx bugs", not 100 % sure if its my fault or because of that tile changeing of the past tileset patches:

-withered plants (prickle berries, rat weed, etc) show a "diamond 1 tile".
not the actual "plants" but when you i.e. harvest plants and keep the berries on the ground to wither, then that icon appears.
This will be fixed next patch. Or you can download this 'quick' fix: plant_standard.txt @ MediaFire

-dacite stone:
it shows a blue-ish tile when its in the ground... shows a gray-ish stone when its mined... shows blue when build in furniture (a door/floodgate)... and gray when build for workshops or finished goods like crafts.

(not sure but could be a similar color problem with ryolite stone)
That's kind of normal, it's an old mod I've made on those rock colors. They are layer stones with non-grey background colors. That's the result.

I too have noticed that the tile used to mark "withered plants" is the same one that is used for clusters of Morion -- that is, a Gem symbol with 1 dot below it colored dark gray.  I assumed that this is working as intended, but if not...then I'm reporting it.

Secondly, I'm fairly sure that the images for Donkeys and Mules are reversed.  Donkeys are appearing with brown coats, and Mules seem to have gray coats.

Thanks for confirming the plant problem.
About the Donkeys and Mules. They both come in brown and gray. Bane gave them those colors so I've not changed them. For the sake of not confusing the current tileset users, I'm don't intend to switch their colors.

Another thing I've been noticing, from a disambiguation point of view, is that natural Ice Floors and Ice Walls look fairly indistinguishable.  Same pattern for both of them, except that floors are darker than walls.
Ice walls use the 100% opaque tile, while the ice floors use the 75% opaque tile. They are meant to look very similar, although the ascii tilesets use dithering so are easier to distinguish. Smoothing the ice floors (MADNESS!) makes them easily distinguishable from ice walls. I can't think of a good way to make ice tunnels easier to distinguish without significantly altering the feel of the rest of the game. (The transition from 100% to 75% to 50% is meant to be smooth.) I'll ponder on the problem.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 12, 2011, 02:49:19 am »

Thanks for confirming the plant problem.
About the Donkeys and Mules. They both come in brown and gray. Bane gave them those colors so I've not changed them. For the sake of not confusing the current tileset users, I'm don't intend to switch their colors.
Donkeys and mules both being both colors?  Madness!!!!  How are you supposed to tell them apart?  In the two forts I've played since I first switched to the Phoebus tileset, it seems to have been very consistent that donkeys are appearing brown and mules gray.

In my prior DF experience, playing with Mayday's tileset, it seemed to be fairly consistent that donkeys were gray and mules were brown, and I just took it as given that that was how you told them apart.  It is possible that I have both brown and gray donkeys but have only paid attention to the exceptions, but it does seem to be pretty darned consistent.  If I wanted to make all mules brown, how would I go about this?

Ice walls use the 100% opaque tile, while the ice floors use the 75% opaque tile. They are meant to look very similar, although the ascii tilesets use dithering so are easier to distinguish. Smoothing the ice floors (MADNESS!) makes them easily distinguishable from ice walls. I can't think of a good way to make ice tunnels easier to distinguish without significantly altering the feel of the rest of the game. (The transition from 100% to 75% to 50% is meant to be smooth.) I'll ponder on the problem.
The reason I brought this up is that in the Mayday tileset (yeah, there I go again "mayday this, mayday that...") ice floors are easily distinguishable from walls because they use a different texture altogether.  They use a texture similar to that of other ground tiles. 

I think that's the issue, really, because the current tiles you're using for ice-floors is the same as that of the walls.  All other substances have a different graphic for when they are a wall or a floor.  Also, the ice-floor squares have strongly visible boundaries between them, unlike the floors of any other material, making them look much more similar to a wall than anything suggestive of floor.

Lastly, while I'm complaining about your wonderful work, I've noticed that everything is really quite dark.  It does add to the "subterranean" vibe, but I think it's going a bit far when smoothed Marble floors appear as a middling gray.  I always like to make my hospitals out of the whitest materials, and while this works fine for the walls, even the whitest stone floors are disappointingly dull, especially in contrast with the Silver Operating Table, Traction Bench, and Tower-Cap beds.

How would I go about it if I wanted to make my "whites whiter and brights brighter"?
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 140