Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 979449 times)

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.16v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Updated... again!)
« Reply #375 on: October 07, 2010, 11:01:28 am »

I'll be updating my desktop's version tonight.
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 07, 2010, 01:12:55 pm »

This really _is_ excellent tileset, Phobeus! Moved back to using yours since Ironhand haven't had time to update to 31.16 just yet, and your ore/gem icons are very comprehensible and easy to read. Thanks!

Slight bug, dunno if it's related to the Olivine issue above, but glass portals show up as colored "O"s instead of doors.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Glass portals are hardcoded to use the 'O' tile. The material, Olivine, has nothing to do with the problem.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 07, 2010, 01:14:27 pm »

Its been reported in Maydays graphics pack, so yea, its something with DF itself.

Also, OLIVINE IS COOL! I like green (not goblins though). :)

Oh yea, I'm going to try this graphics set out because I want to try something new, and also tired of waiting for Mayday to update his (no offense Mayday, your tileset IS cool.)

Edit: What tileset should I use if I want to make the ground lighter? The ground in the arena seems kind of dark to me, but heck.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 01:49:17 pm by smjjames »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 07, 2010, 02:21:11 pm »

Actually, I just built more olivine doors (a new forturess) last night and it seems the Toady One has corrected how they appear.  I don't know if that effects glass doors or not, however (never having made/used them).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 07, 2010, 02:30:50 pm »

How do I get the curses font to work? I want to use the font that Mayday uses as that one is a bit easier to read, but I'm not sure how to get it to work.

Edit: nm, ignore me, I was sorta rambling when I should be checking out the various graphic stuff.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 02:37:03 pm by smjjames »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 07, 2010, 02:38:46 pm »

How do I get the curses font to work? I want to use the font that Mayday uses as that one is a bit easier to read, but I'm not sure how to get it to work.

Edit: nm, ignore me, I was sorta rambling when I should be checking out the various graphic stuff.

In the phoebus pack are some alternate tilesets in the art folder.  One of them uses the guybrush text the same as mayday, switch the fonts in your init.txt to that file and you should get what you are looking for.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 07, 2010, 02:55:00 pm »

In the phoebus pack are some alternate tilesets in the art folder.  One of them uses the guybrush text the same as mayday, switch the fonts in your init.txt to that file and you should get what you are looking for.

Oh, I didn't realize that was the one Mayday uses.

Edit: How do I make the tiles brighter overall because its darker than I'd prefer? And no its not my computer settings.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 03:52:27 pm by smjjames »

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 07, 2010, 06:09:38 pm »

This really _is_ excellent tileset, Phobeus! Moved back to using yours since Ironhand haven't had time to update to 31.16 just yet, and your ore/gem icons are very comprehensible and easy to read. Thanks!

Slight bug, dunno if it's related to the Olivine issue above, but glass portals show up as colored "O"s instead of doors.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Glass portals are hardcoded to use the 'O' tile. The material, Olivine, has nothing to do with the problem.
Ah, bummer. Oh well, I'll guess I'll use my imagination for these doors ;)

smariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 07, 2010, 06:43:28 pm »

Edit: How do I make the tiles brighter overall because its darker than I'd prefer? And no its not my computer settings.

Did you copy data/init/colors.txt? Phoebus made them brighter and IMHO prettier than what you'd get by default.
Likes schrödinbugs for their reality destroying implications.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 07, 2010, 06:49:14 pm »

I'm using the full game download from the OP, so I didn't change the colors.txt file.

If you look at the arena or the ground in general, the colors appear darker than Maydays. Also the combat text colors are slightly wierd.

smariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 07, 2010, 07:12:40 pm »

Ah, okay. Then it's working as intended.

The smoothed floor tile (The + symbol, up/left of the upward stairs tile) is intentionally dark, presumably to provide better contrast with the walls. If you really don't like it, you'll have to edit that tile.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:14:36 pm by smariot »
Likes schrödinbugs for their reality destroying implications.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 07, 2010, 07:32:57 pm »

Did you copy data/init/colors.txt? Phoebus made them brighter and IMHO prettier than what you'd get by default.
So that is why Phoebus' version looks better to me!  I started with a Mayday set, and it seemed dull (but not boring, just ... dark), and when I looked at the Phoebus stuff it just seemed so much ... sharper.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 08, 2010, 04:00:22 am »

The ground tile are intentionally dark so that they do not draw your attention away from actual objects and creatures.

And I've changed the colors in two ways.

First, the darker colors are 2/3 of max luminosity instead of 1/2, that makes quite a difference. The main reason why I did that is that most tiles are made of shades of grey anywhere from white to black, and the color of the tile is multiplied by the shade of grey of each pixel. That makes each pixel equal or darker than the base color. If the base color is already dark then the final result often ends up being unacceptably dark. No reason to strain your eyesight when I can just make the color a bit brighter. ;)

Second, electronic (fluo) colors are very unnatural and jarring, so I've changed blue, cyan, green, yellow/brown & magenta to more natural/pastel tints.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 08, 2010, 09:18:38 am »

Okay, I'll give this graphics set a chance then.

Ockad

• Bay Watcher
  • Take a look at my fine wares!
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 08, 2010, 01:15:35 pm »

Oh how I love my Phoebus Graphic Set.
*Flashes his manly breasts and cheers*
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 140