Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 979491 times)

LAAT501legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.12v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Creature graphics update)
« Reply #270 on: August 14, 2010, 05:27:10 am »

I don't know if someone has noticed it, but I'm having problems with the graphics for grand master dwarfes, they are only displayed sometimes, and the graphics of the fortress guard don't display(They all look like ordinary military dwarfes) Also, great tileset :)
That sounds like an issue with DF in general, rather than with this tileset specifically.
I have tested a bit, and I have found that the grand master graphics only show after a pair of train months, then dissapear when the squad has no schedule, and appear another time after a pair of months(Really strange thing)
This isn't reality.
THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!!
*kicks an elf into the pit*
Roll to be a BATTLE WIZARD

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*Updated* 0.31.12v02
Added a new alternate tileset with purist punctuation. The comma, apostrophe and quotes look normal, the period and the ground are simple dithered squares. Remember to set '[VARIED_GROUND_TILES:NO]' in d_init.txt to use that tileset.
Added graphics for the common skate, stingray and manta ray.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.12v02] Phoebus' Graphic Set (New punctuation tileset, new creatures)
« Reply #272 on: August 15, 2010, 04:48:36 am »

simple ground with punctuation is great - thank you. small request: a tileset with the simpler stone icons from the meld tileset and the simpler ground. i have tried merging the 2 myself but either cut and paste badly, or ruin the transparancies... (to be fair I am using paint as i have no access to any other programme to edit with, as i lack the patience to go download, work out and use GIMP)
This is a blank sig.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 15, 2010, 07:02:15 am »

simple ground with punctuation is great - thank you. small request: a tileset with the simpler stone icons from the meld tileset and the simpler ground. i have tried merging the 2 myself but either cut and paste badly, or ruin the transparancies... (to be fair I am using paint as i have no access to any other programme to edit with, as i lack the patience to go download, work out and use GIMP)

Copy in data/art and rename as Phoebus_16x16_Punctuation_Meld.png
And of course, edit the init.txt appropriately.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 15, 2010, 12:30:13 pm »

thank you - perfect, and a great way to treat your customers ;)
This is a blank sig.

gramks2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 15, 2010, 11:26:53 pm »

I was looking at the Meld version of the tile-set and I noticed there are two tiles that are devoted to being question marks. Is this necessary? If not I would suggest using one of them for an up/down stair and/or floodgates.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 16, 2010, 02:02:00 am »

I was looking at the Meld version of the tile-set and I noticed there are two four tiles that are devoted to being question marks. Is this necessary? If not I would suggest using one of them for an up/down stair and/or floodgates.

i did the counting for you :P
This is a blank sig.

gramks2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 16, 2010, 08:38:42 am »

Hehe, thanks. I just noticed there were two, and assumed it was only two. I wonder if two of those are for the Dorf's when they have new orders and have no new orders, one is for the text, and one is for.. nothing? I'd like to know what they are all used for.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 16, 2010, 08:49:58 am »

Hehe, thanks. I just noticed there were two, and assumed it was only two. I wonder if two of those are for the Dorf's when they have new orders and have no new orders, one is for the text, and one is for.. nothing? I'd like to know what they are all used for.
The tile position of most things in the game is fixed. The tile of plants, creatures and stone can be changed, but I don't really need to add more of those. Actually, I should change the hardcoded traction bench tile to a traction bench, and move the sweet pod tile to one of the 4 free locations.

gramks2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 16, 2010, 09:41:59 am »

That would be awesome. I was a bit distraught by hospitals when I made my first one and the traction bench was something weird. I'm imagining a stone slab with lasher style rope in the corners and where the head goes... Hmmm...

Which tiles are the unused tiles?I would imagine the question mark nearest the alphabet block is used as a question mark and all the others are just placeholders.

P.S.

I'm not sure if you want my work or not, it is the work of an amateur. In either case I figured I would post what I have done so far so you have access to what I have done for a couple tiles. Please just let me know if you don't want me posting this here.

The two notable changes that I made (other than the walls and smoothed floor, which are for me) are the 'staircase up' and the 'cage' tiles.

The 'staircase up' tile is changed so that the steps match those in the 'staircase down' tile, which I think is already very well done. New stairs were made with the old ones in mind, same style just different sized steps.

I changed the cage so that it is rectangular because I often find myself putting rows of cage traps in choke points, and I figured it would be nice if they matched up on all sides to look more like one big cage. It also looks a little more savage (angular) which I like.

Edit: Updated the pic with my more polished walls. Having a lot of trouble trying to make a pillar (stand alone wall tile) that looks good...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:37:57 am by gramks2k »

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 16, 2010, 11:46:33 pm »

The tile position of most things in the game is fixed. The tile of plants, creatures and stone can be changed, but I don't really need to add more of those. Actually, I should change the hardcoded traction bench tile to a traction bench, and move the sweet pod tile to one of the 4 free locations.
Here's what one looks like today:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What sort of monstrosity would dwarves have come up with?
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #281 on: August 17, 2010, 09:11:41 am »

Here's what one looks like today:

What sort of monstrosity would dwarves have come up with?

Table...  mechanisms... rope/chain...  All there!
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.12v03] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Tileset improvements)
« Reply #282 on: August 17, 2010, 11:04:11 pm »

*Updated* 0.31.12v03
Changed the tiles for Demons, Cages, Upward Stairs & Traction Bench.
Improved the 'Meld' tileset special stones.
Made the wooden door 'fix' standard in all tilesets, and removed the wooden door fix specific tilesets.

gramks2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.12v03] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Tileset improvements)
« Reply #283 on: August 18, 2010, 04:18:15 pm »

Nice update! I gave up on my own wall tiles. They just don't fit in with the other stuff. Anything else you might want someone to work on, just let me know and I'll see if I can give it a shot. Thinking of making a dedicated 'bin' tile, since those seem to be used a lot in my forts.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.12v03] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Tileset improvements)
« Reply #284 on: August 25, 2010, 07:03:01 pm »

I redid the raw gem tile (row 1, tile 16) so it looks a bit more like a web (though I need to tweak it a bit I think), the four triangle tiles (row 2, 1-2 and 15-16) so they match in size and shading, and the walls on mine.  Like someone else mentioned I prefer squared corners, and I just recently got a shape that I like and that fits with the rest of the tileset.  I've been meaning to work on the stairs, but now I'm tempted to steal borrow gramks2k's stairs-up, and the cage since it is also used for vertical bars.

If you guys want I can post a link to my version.

Oh, and thank you for putting in the effort on this tileset.  Very nice work, even if I did go and make changes to it. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 140