Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 978222 times)

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.11v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Updated to DF 0.34.11)
« Reply #2025 on: March 08, 2013, 05:41:11 am »

Thank you. With your help, I have turned

Spoiler: This (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Into this. (click to show/hide)

Holy moly, that's looking awesome....

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: March 10, 2013, 04:58:31 am »

I made a 128x128 ascii tileset.

Why use this tileset?
1. The tileset looks good at all zoom levels.
2. The font used is Consolas, the same TrueType font used in the graphic pack. (This tileset is ASCII and not compatible with the Phoebus' Graphic Pack.)
3. It's ascii!
4. BECAUSE!

Map screeny:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 05:01:19 am by Phoebus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2027 on: March 10, 2013, 06:31:29 am »

Nice :)

I noticed that DF takes a lot longer when genning a new world, because the graphics folder gets a lot larger when using high resolutions. But its only once for each world, so its not too bad. Doesnt affect your tileset directly of course, but if people want to use big sprites with it...

And will you do a big version of the Phoebus tileset? Like a 64 or 128 version? I mean I have the upscaled one, I just wanted to know if you will repaint/detail it a lot more.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: March 10, 2013, 07:36:22 pm »

It was my intention, but it's not realistically possible.
Scaleable tiles are much harder to craft than fixed resolution tiles, and most of the tiles from the 16x16 tileset have not been created by me.
Plus, I've built the tileset piecemeal over several years, adapting the tileset to the quality of the tiles available to me.
Attempting to create a whole high res tileset in one go would be foolish.

In the long run, I'll just keep improving the 128x128 tileset until I have enough to switch to custom raws, then it'll be a tileset of it's own.
Making the 128x128 tileset compatible with the 16x16 Phoebus Graphic Set will be one of the last steps.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2029 on: March 10, 2013, 07:42:48 pm »

Attempting to create a whole high res tileset in one go would be foolish.
I have no idea what you mean. :P

But ok, good to know. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: March 15, 2013, 02:23:10 am »

Farming mod I've made:

2 Farms, 4 Breweries, 3 Mills, 1 Spinnery & 1 Press for the 6 vanilla underground plants.
The buildings can produce plants, seeds and finished products (alcohol, flour, sugar, syrup, thread, dye, leaves, paste/cake & oil) without the messy intermediary steps.
No seedy mess; Great for macro-management.

The only thing it doesn't do is cook prepared meals, because I don't think reactions support creating those.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:27:23 am by Phoebus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2031 on: March 15, 2013, 02:36:55 am »

I like the design, although question the sense of making a huge building for each single item. Prepared meals can be done in a way, the tag is FOOD and the ID is found in item_food.txt. But I dont think you can do mixes of different materials, like vanilla DF does.

Is the tile 2:5 (second tile lowest line) a new design?

And you completely circumvent farming with this? Interesting.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: March 15, 2013, 03:14:10 am »

I like the design, although question the sense of making a huge building for each single item. Prepared meals can be done in a way, the tag is FOOD and the ID is found in item_food.txt. But I dont think you can do mixes of different materials, like vanilla DF does.

Is the tile 2:5 (second tile lowest line) a new design?

And you completely circumvent farming with this? Interesting.
The size and number of building is there for style and balance. More investment, less micromanagement.
And, yes, it's designed to circumvent farming completely, for FPS sake. 1200 seeds littering around (and the jobs associated with them) can't be good for your FPS.

That tile is the Minecart/Wheelbarrow tile.
Each building needs 1 material, 1 seed, 1 bucket & 1 wheelbarrow (the Rock Nut Press requires 2 mechanisms). I'll probably further increase/improve the material requirement a little.

Edit.: Still couldn't find a way to create prepared meals through reactions; I instead created cheeses with custom names.
Changed both farms and two of the mills into bakeries. Plump Helmet Grill (plump steak), Dwarven Bakery (cave bread), Dwarven Confectionery (sweet roll) & Quarry Bush Bakery (quarry roll)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 05:49:34 am by Phoebus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2033 on: March 15, 2013, 05:52:16 am »

Does your bakery accept the plant directly, or do you have to mill the plant into flour first? There is a bug that DF does not recognize reagents when they are inside 2 containers. For example flour in a bag, and the bag is stored inside a barrel. In that case the workshop would not accept the flour.

I am ashamed that I have to admit that I was running an outdated version in my mod. I have never seen the wheelbarrow tile before, the one I used had a ring in its place. Its updated now. No idea how that happened.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: March 15, 2013, 07:35:12 am »

Does your bakery accept the plant directly, or do you have to mill the plant into flour first? There is a bug that DF does not recognize reagents when they are inside 2 containers. For example flour in a bag, and the bag is stored inside a barrel. In that case the workshop would not accept the flour.
The bakeries get their reagents from their own internal farm, all the steps to the final product are abstractly done 'in the background'.
If you order a sweet roll, the worker will grow, harvest, mill & cook the sweet roll in one reaction. Effectively, they are all reagent-less reactions (except containers.)
I control the production speed through quantities and percentage of success.

My first version was using seeds as a reagent, it worked yet still was a complete disaster due to the container problems.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2035 on: March 15, 2013, 07:43:07 am »

I know that using tools in reaction is not that good, because of stockpiling, but maybe you could use custom tools as buildmats.

For example I use mortar/pestle in my alchemy buildings, or cauldron/laudle in the new kitchen... maybe add some farming supply tools, like rakes, bags and similar items to the buildings. This way people cant just instantly start creating plants from nowhere. Just a suggestion of course.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: March 15, 2013, 07:59:39 am »

I know that using tools in reaction is not that good, because of stockpiling, but maybe you could use custom tools as buildmats.

For example I use mortar/pestle in my alchemy buildings, or cauldron/ladle in the new kitchen... maybe add some farming supply tools, like rakes, bags and similar items to the buildings. This way people cant just instantly start creating plants from nowhere. Just a suggestion of course.
That's exactly what I was thinking. My building currently need a bucket and wheelbarrow as buildmats, so as to not make the buildings 'free' at the start of the game. (You either need to build those two objects from wood at a carpenter's workshop, or buy them both for 10+50 on embark.)
I'm also thinking about making the process less reliable and spammy by making reaction that create more food/booze with less chance of success.
Thanks for the good suggestions.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:40:28 pm by Phoebus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2037 on: March 16, 2013, 04:59:34 am »

One more thing: If you use reactions that have a low chance of generating something, lets say 10% to make an item, it means that in 9 times out of 10, every time the dwarf fails to create something, he will also not get any experience in the skill used for the reaction.

I had the problem with my praying reactions, people prayed, prayed and prayed, and got no skills... I solved the problem by adding a harmless boiling rock that is created. It instantly disolves, but the dwarf at least gets a few skill points.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: March 23, 2013, 05:10:50 pm »

One more thing: If you use reactions that have a low chance of generating something, lets say 10% to make an item, it means that in 9 times out of 10, every time the dwarf fails to create something, he will also not get any experience in the skill used for the reaction.

I had the problem with my praying reactions, people prayed, prayed and prayed, and got no skills... I solved the problem by adding a harmless boiling rock that is created. It instantly disolves, but the dwarf at least gets a few skill points.
Won't that fail horribly if temperature is disabled?
I failed to find how you create those evaporating stones; do the stones really completely disappear or are they still around in vapour form?

I've created around 8 different version of the mod, so many flavors of awesome and FUN!
I've made a simplistic 'Seedless' version that has special versions of the 6 underground plants that function like the original plants without generating seeds when eaten, brewed, or processed (exception rock nuts.) They do not replace the original plants and are generated from 6 plant specific farms.
I also made some version with multiple steps toward the final product, multiple versions with automation system (orders that automatically add each step to get to the final result), too bad automated reactions results in job cancellation spam. :/
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 05:16:28 pm by Phoebus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2039 on: March 23, 2013, 06:06:34 pm »

It fails without temperature, sure. In that case the boulder would stay. Otherwise you never create a boulder, you create gas. It fully evaporates and leaves no item. I even use it sometimes for visual effect only. Black smoke in forges, sawdust in the timberyard...

The temperature is of course a big handycap, but since most things in my mod require temp anyway it doesnt matter to me.

Ah, yes, I tried automated reaction chains once as well, with #1 giving reagent to #2 and so forth, to simply make the reaction require more time. It didnt turn out that well, especially if dwarves decide to stockpile the intermediate object in between.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 140