Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 978716 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.05v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Improved V and Sand)
« Reply #1755 on: March 21, 2012, 04:08:34 pm »

I have been doing a lot of custom sprites for creatures I made for my mod. The problem is, that I cant get them to be displayed with transparency. Neither bmps nor pngs seem to work. I used Photoshop and Gimp for this.

Is the assumption correct, that transparency only works for tiles (as in: tilesets) and not for sprites ? (as in: graphics_creaturename)

I thought I might as well ask here, since there seems to be the hightest activity about graphics here. Thanks in advance for the answer :)

EDIT: The solution/workaround for this, if my assumption turns out to be correct, would be to make the creatures in the sprites as close to 16*16 pixel as possible, to have the minimum amount of background. Correct ?

If you are using actual transparency (instead of just magenta), you need to use .png files, because .bmp files do not support transparency. 

You also need to make sure that you are actually saving your files with transparency, and that when you edit them, they are in layers that have transparency (that is, erasing leaves a checkerboard background, instead of the secondary color). 

If a graphics set has transparency, the game will automatically use them.  Phoebus's graphics, for one, use partial transparency quite often.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1756 on: March 21, 2012, 04:27:10 pm »

I tried transparency as well as magenta background on bmps. The preview shows the creature tiles with a checkerboard background, or simply white/nothing, depending on the program I use to open them. DF on the other hand always shows black.

A user of my mod actually did do the transparency for all the sprites as well once, I added them and they dont work. I also spawned every creature in the arena once (to find out which have sprites and which ones only have characters) and I noticed on the screens I took that NONE has transparency. Even yours from the new phoebus version.

I run this in the init:
[GRAPHICS:YES]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:0]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:0]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:Phoebus_16x16.png]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:0]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:0]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:Phoebus_16x16.png]
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]

[PRINT_MODE:2D]

I am a bit confused about the matter to be honest. I run the windows sdl version, heavily modded.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: March 21, 2012, 05:48:15 pm »

If your tileset is 16x16, then your creature graphics should all be 16x16, as well. 

Other than that, as long as you are correctly making transparent backgrounds for your creature graphics, then there should be transparency.

Note that having a black background for a creature graphic is normal, however.  Are you saying it won't do things like flash blue in the background when you "play as" a unit in Arena mode and then come back out?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1758 on: March 21, 2012, 10:59:19 pm »

Black Backgound for a creature graphic is normal ?

All of the sprites are 16*16. To make clear what I mean:

1 is the floor tile, green grass.
2 is how the creature is currently displayed, with a black background.
3 is how I'd like the creature to be displayed, with a transparent background.

Sorry for abducting this thread a little, but there is only a modding questions thread, no graphics question thread ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: March 21, 2012, 11:06:58 pm »

Yes, "2" is normal.

The game doesn't do "layers".  It blinks between one icon and another when multiple objects occupy the same space because you don't have partially transparent objects overlayed on top of other objects.

Maybe you can talk Baughn into eventually adding functionality for that, but that's not how the game works right now.

Also, I think this would still qualify under a "modding question", so it would be appropriate for that thread.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1760 on: March 21, 2012, 11:12:40 pm »

Ah, ok. I did try the forum search, but couldnt find an answer to this question. Thanks a lot for clearing this up, it was driving me mildly insane.

PS: I thought it would fit here since I do use the phoebus tileset. Ascii obviously does not have this problem.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: March 22, 2012, 09:08:45 am »

Black Backgound for a creature graphic is normal ?

All of the sprites are 16*16. To make clear what I mean:

1 is the floor tile, green grass.
2 is how the creature is currently displayed, with a black background.
3 is how I'd like the creature to be displayed, with a transparent background.

Sorry for abducting this thread a little, but there is only a modding questions thread, no graphics question thread ;)
Dwarf Fortress only draws one tile per location. Dwarf Fortress will not draw the ground tile if there's an object/creature at that location.
What I do for my creature tilesets is add a translucent dirt background behind each creature in the the tileset.
This results in all creatures being drawn with the same dirt background ingame, which is much, much, better than the pitch black background.

Here's a large sheet of the standard translucent dirt ground that I'm using for the Phoebus Graphic Set.
background.png
The background needs to be translucent because many status effects are displayed using the background color, and if the tile is fully opaque the player won't be able to see those status effects at all.

machiosabre

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: March 23, 2012, 11:03:31 am »

Any chance you could put an option in the tileset assembling machine for lower elevations like in this tileset?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104261.0

in any case, this is still my favorite tileset :D

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: March 23, 2012, 11:26:24 am »

The horror, I'm just about to leave for a weekend vacation.

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: March 23, 2012, 11:31:24 am »

Does phoebus 34.05 work with DF 34.06? :)

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.34.06v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Updated to 0.34.06)
« Reply #1765 on: March 23, 2012, 11:38:19 am »

*Updated* 0.34.06v00
Updated to 0.34.06

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.06v00] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Updated to 0.34.06)
« Reply #1766 on: March 23, 2012, 11:39:50 am »

I love you!

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: March 23, 2012, 11:39:59 am »

I will be unavailable for the next 2-3 days, apologies in advance if there's a problem with the new version and I'm not here to fix it.

Does phoebus 34.05 work with DF 34.06? :)
I have no idea, sorry.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: March 23, 2012, 04:33:42 pm »

your still awesome for how damn fast you update WHEN a new version comes out.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: March 23, 2012, 05:09:22 pm »

dfdd is not loading for me....

And as always, the readme seems to be a copy paste that request that I use a utility that doesn't appear to exist in default dwarf fortress.

LNP is also not updated...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUu-
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:18:59 pm by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 140