Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 978622 times)

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.05v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Improved V and Sand)
« Reply #1740 on: March 11, 2012, 03:31:13 pm »

I have a current fort made with DF_Phoebus_34_02v03 how can i update it to 34.05v01?
Just coping over the files will do? I've been told that I should not update the save game raws to avoid incompatibility issues, doing this will still apply the new bugfixes/features? like the caravan wagons, fixed archery training, etc...

And will I'll be able to get the new graphics?

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: March 12, 2012, 12:19:22 am »

I have a current fort made with DF_Phoebus_34_02v03 how can i update it to 34.05v01?
Just coping over the files will do? I've been told that I should not update the save game raws to avoid incompatibility issues, doing this will still apply the new bugfixes/features? like the caravan wagons, fixed archery training, etc...

If you want to use your old savegames in 0.34.05, download body_rcp_eyelids.txt, update your savegame's raws then copy the file in your savegame's object folder located at "/data/save/regionX/raw/objects/".

I've updated the main post with this information.

lanp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: March 12, 2012, 12:44:53 am »

I made a new creature and made the tile the same as the one for the bronze colossus because I like it so much. Only annoying part is that it flashes to blue/grey every second or so. Can this be disabled somehow? Also, if it can be disabled could I somehow change the color of the tile without editing the actual .png to stay that grey color at all times?

Here is the image in case you aren't sure what I am talking about.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: March 12, 2012, 06:49:37 am »

PTW.

Big fan of this set, and shame to see the gappiness in the latest release. Afraid I don't have anything to add to what's been said apart from that I am getting it too. :(

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: March 13, 2012, 03:14:00 pm »

If you want to use your old savegames in 0.34.05, download body_rcp_eyelids.txt, update your savegame's raws then copy the file in your savegame's object folder located at "/data/save/regionX/raw/objects/".

I've updated the main post with this information.
Thanks for the reply, it turns out that I won't be able to do it anyways, since my DF version is 34.01... no support for that, the saves won't even read... I just happened to install the 34.02v03 graphics over it and forgot about the actual version...

In other issues: could it be possible to custom edit the text gap or is it hard-coded? I'll explain, one thing that bothers me is how difficult is to read the text of the long item lists, for example:
Code: [Select]
*cave swallow bone scepter*
cat bone scepter
+<-goblin tooth amulet->+
instead of having that, couldn't we make it look like this:
  *cave swallow bone  scepter*
   cat          bone  scepter
+<-goblin       tooth amulet ->+

See what I mean? adding a few gaps and spaces so the creatures, materials, items, qualities and decorations line up vertically, they become actually readable...

In software development that's called indentation.
Is this is even possible by modding?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:15:51 pm by Kaos »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: March 13, 2012, 11:18:33 pm »

In other issues: could it be possible to custom edit the text gap or is it hard-coded? I'll explain, one thing that bothers me is how difficult is to read the text of the long item lists, for example:
*cave swallow bone scepter*
cat bone scepter
+<-goblin tooth amulet->+
instead of having that, couldn't we make it look like this:
  *cave swallow bone  scepter*
   cat          bone  scepter
+<-goblin       tooth amulet ->+

See what I mean? adding a few gaps and spaces so the creatures, materials, items, qualities and decorations line up vertically, they become actually readable...

In software development that's called indentation.
Is this is even possible by modding?
No it's not.
The greatest problem with DF right now is that the interface is almost completely hardcoded.
That does not only make it impossible to mod most things, it also makes it very time consuming for Toady to maintain/update/extend the interface.
Nonetheless, that will not change as Toady consciously made that design decision to keep control of DF.
Toady main interest is working on the underlying "physic" engine of DF.
If the DF engine had a customizable interface, other people would create interfaces that would completely hide the engine created by Toady from the player, which, in turn, would decimate the donations to Bay 12 Games.

ciadude2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: March 14, 2012, 12:38:26 am »

Not sure if this will help anyone else, but saving and reloading fixed the text issue for me(at least for now, I don't know if it'll last).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: March 14, 2012, 01:26:17 am »

If the DF engine had a customizable interface, other people would create interfaces that would completely hide the engine created by Toady from the player, which, in turn, would decimate the donations to Bay 12 Games.

Even though I recognize that it's not really your argument, I find that argument extremely hard to swallow.

I find it very hard to believe that anyone could actually disguise Dwarf Fortress in a way that would actually fool people into believing it was somehow a different game.  Even when you're playing on Stonesense, which has an entirely different graphical interface far removed from DF, there's no way to avoid realizing that you're playing DF, or what sort of mechanics are going on under the hood.

As long as the only thing that is moddable is the graphic interface, you wouldn't even be able to get around the fact that all the rest of the game is still hard-coded and has that whole world generation sequence with the large customizable world parameter set in it that would be a dead giveaway. 

Sure, you could try removing features, but then you're winding up with a vastly inferior game to a game that is already being given away, once again, for free.  Oh, and they can't try to improve upon their "own version" of the game, since they don't have access to the underlying engine.

Now, while yes, someone could try decompiling DF wholesale, that's not something you're stopping by preventing anyone from modding the graphics.

Further, all you'd be doing is repackaging the same product Toady is already giving away for free... and how, exactly, does that cut into his donations?  It would only work if new people joined up, wanted to donate, but didn't know that Toady ever existed because "evil program-disguising modder person" didn't tell them... and I seriously doubt many people would be eager enough to donate for a project without having the will to look at the people who would be screaming about how someone was trying to repackage a game already being given away for free.

Besides that, even if someone DID try to start selling a product that, again, is already being given away for free, the worst thing that would happen would be that it would raise the awareness of DF, and attract more people to DF in the first place... which is a good thing.

The real competition for DF is not someone trying to "steal" DF, it's someone trying to build a better game, and that's not going to happen by simply throwing a coat of paint over DF.  And when people try, they often wind up only raising DF's profile more, as Minecraft wound up helping popularize DF, itself. 

Ranting aside, I found that most of the birds in the new version of your graphics set have those birds set as regular-sized versions of the birds.  To the best of my knowledge, most of those birds are vermin, and as such, they are not going to be visible as graphics, and those were meant to be the giant versions (and I'll go back and make the non-giant versions of creatures which aren't vermin later by simply resizing.)

Finally, the way that sand walls and the "~" type tiles looked so similar annoyed me, and I really greatly prefer the flux materials not have an icon, and have an old "+" I preferred more, so I went and did some edits to your tileset.

Maybe you don't want to see them, but maybe you could add some of these in as further alternates you can include in your tileset editor, so I'll just put it up here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thereadlines

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: March 14, 2012, 09:18:33 am »

Not sure if this will help anyone else, but saving and reloading fixed the text issue for me(at least for now, I don't know if it'll last).

It does not last for me. Resizing the window and zooming will also fix the text blackout problems temporarily, but they return. This is one of the more annoying things about the bug, making it difficult to replicate.

My impression is that the blackouts accumulate if you stay at a constant zoom and window size. I don't think many people play that long without changing zoom or exiting, so not everyone gets them consistently. The blackouts I am referencing are exactly one tile width. Without knowing anything about how the UI is drawn, and forced to guess about the cause, I would hazard a speculation that there is some mask drawn over the text but under the graphics that contains these blackouts. This mask is not being cleared appropriately. If pushed, I would further speculate that there is something that happens during the game that draws the blackouts on the mask, perhaps corresponding to blinking elements. If there's any truth to that, the bug will be much easier to fix by looking at the code rather than trying to describe it six ways to Sunday with a naive empirical approach. But I could be completely wrong.

ClubFoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: March 15, 2012, 11:38:19 pm »

Running 34.05, on OSX, w/ this tile set/TTF installed, I'm getting a crash occurring at random times...

src/g_src/ttf_manager.cpp:139: failed assertion `pixel_width >= ttf_width'
/Users/andrewcaldwell/Desktop/df_34_05/df: line 12:  1122 Abort trap: 6           ./dwarfort.exe

has anyone seen this?  Any suggestions???

ciadude2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: March 17, 2012, 07:53:02 am »

Does the crash occur with the regular ASCII as well?

ClubFoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: March 17, 2012, 10:13:02 am »

Does the crash occur with the regular ASCII as well?

I wondered that myself, but I'm not sure how to back-out the ttf from an existing save.  Directions??

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: March 17, 2012, 10:16:19 am »

Press F12?
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Dakaa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: March 18, 2012, 08:51:14 pm »

Thankyou!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1754 on: March 21, 2012, 04:02:20 pm »

I have been doing a lot of custom sprites for creatures I made for my mod. The problem is, that I cant get them to be displayed with transparency. Neither bmps nor pngs seem to work. I used Photoshop and Gimp for this.

Is the assumption correct, that transparency only works for tiles (as in: tilesets) and not for sprites ? (as in: graphics_creaturename)

I thought I might as well ask here, since there seems to be the hightest activity about graphics here. Thanks in advance for the answer :)

EDIT: The solution/workaround for this, if my assumption turns out to be correct, would be to make the creatures in the sprites as close to 16*16 pixel as possible, to have the minimum amount of background. Correct ?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 04:04:28 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 140