Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 978831 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.01v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Tileset assembler and bugfixes)
« Reply #1470 on: February 15, 2012, 03:42:11 pm »

The tileset assembler is one of the most brillliant things I've ever seen.
Any chance we'll see a mac version? I love the concept of different icons for military/crafting metals, different value gems, etc, but I tried splicing the tileset into vanilla DF and it was all wrong. Add to that the background on text and the black sand deal, and it doesn't seem like Phoebus works without the assembler.
If you copy all of the relevant configuration files over, you should be able to "upgrade" the vanilla Mac version to Phoebus, as mentioned above for the linux side.

As for the tileset not working in non-Windows environment, the work around I used was to use the tileset assembler in windows, then copy the newly created tile image over to the OS version I am actually using (linux in my case).

[edit] Yay! DFFD has the linux version of Phoebus_Its_Full_Of_Stars! now :D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:49:08 pm by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: February 15, 2012, 03:46:27 pm »

Great, great work, Phoebus!
Is there a way to get the normal type fonts in your pack like Mayday's new pack and Ironhand's pack, please?
I like EVEYTHING about your pack, besides the font. :)

I can sign onto that.
Phoebus was my first pack, I tried other packs later, but I always returned to Phoebus quickly. It's such a great and enjoyable tileset.
Besides the font "issue" (just a minor annoyance, really) it's perfect. And it was done so quickly!
Mayday's tileset is using Guybrush's font, which is also available in the tileset assembler.
Unless you mean truetype, which I disabled because I (just realized) had a brainfart when trying to configure it with my tileset.
So ya, next version will have truetype, and I'll remove the text background too because truetype doesn't have that.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: February 15, 2012, 03:56:57 pm »

If you copy all of the relevant configuration files over, you should be able to "upgrade" the vanilla Mac version to Phoebus, as mentioned above for the linux side.

As for the tileset not working in non-Windows environment, the work around I used was to use the tileset assembler in windows, then copy the newly created tile image over to the OS version I am actually using (linux in my case).
That is what I have to do as well (fire up my Windows VM) because tileset assembler does not work in wine.
From what I have seen tileset assembler could easily be recreated using Python or Java making it cross platform.
I could try using Python if Phoebus could help me understand the config files for the tileset side, I haven't had any luck trying to understand them myself.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Yskonyn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: February 15, 2012, 03:57:47 pm »

I found the TrueType setting indeed. ;) That's why I edited my post, but you guys already catched me!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: February 15, 2012, 04:17:51 pm »

I normally play by customizing my own tilesets to my personal tastes, or just playing DF "raw" vanilla, but you've really outdone yourself refining this graphics mod, Phoebus.  The smooth tileset (and the tileset modifier) has really made a convert out of me. 

You are doing a great job, and hope you can find ways to continue to improve.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: February 15, 2012, 05:22:02 pm »

Phoebus, I can't remember how to switch from your default dwarves back to the Beefmo dwarves. I don't see the files in the win32 release, and the raw/graphics/graphics_beefmo_png.txt file is zero byte in the linux version. ;(

I'm assuming I can just copy over the beefo_dwarves.png from the older version.  Will the dwarves.txt file transfer as cleanly?
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: February 15, 2012, 05:51:02 pm »

Using the truetype fonts partially frees the normal letters (some text still requires tileset letters), this allows me to optimize a few of the letters toward better graphics.
My first project: New Hills and Badlands (no more 'V' and 'n' on the maps)

Phoebus, I can't remember how to switch from your default dwarves back to the Beefmo dwarves. I don't see the files in the win32 release, and the raw/graphics/graphics_beefmo_png.txt file is zero byte in the linux version. ;(

I'm assuming I can just copy over the beefo_dwarves.png from the older version.  Will the dwarves.txt file transfer as cleanly?
No, it will not.
You'll need to delete your /raws/graphics/ content,
then you'll have to get the /data/config/graphics/beefmo/raws.zip and unpack it into /raws/graphics/
It'll 'work' but you'll get errors because those files still contain references to skeletons and zombies (the graphics no longer use those tags), so you'll have to remove all those lines manually.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 06:13:22 pm by Phoebus »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: February 15, 2012, 06:12:44 pm »

No, it will not.
You'll need to delete your /raws/graphics/ content,
then you'll have to get the /data/config/graphics/beefmo/raws.zip and unpack it into /raws/graphics/
It'll 'work' but you'll get errors because those files still contain references to skeletons and zombies (the graphics no longer use those tags), so you'll have to remove all those lines manually.
I guess I'll have to do some playing with the text files then. ;)

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.34.01v02] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Font, font & font)
« Reply #1478 on: February 15, 2012, 07:17:07 pm »

*Updated* 0.34.01v02
Activated TrueType font.
Added the Blackadder font, although I'm not sure why.
Optimized the 'V' and 'n' tiles for nicer maps, use Phoebus_TextClear if you want your 'V' and 'n' back.
Text no long has a background by default (TrueType font never does anyway.)
Tileset Assembler's options updated to reflect that fact.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.01v02] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Font, font & font)
« Reply #1479 on: February 15, 2012, 07:21:06 pm »

O...m....g...

Of all the things I've wanted out of a tileset, appropriate tiles for the World Map has always been at the top. You are da man.

Two questions. First, I recall someone saying TT in this version was bogging things down? Any experience with that? Secondly, what are the chance this same kind of magic can get applied to civ tiles, like hamlets ect...?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:27:01 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: February 15, 2012, 08:08:06 pm »

O...m....g...

Of all the things I've wanted out of a tileset, appropriate tiles for the World Map has always been at the top. You are da man.

Two questions. First, I recall someone saying TT in this version was bogging things down? Any experience with that? Secondly, what are the chance this same kind of magic can get applied to civ tiles, like hamlets ect...?
I know that the new version of DF is significantly slower than 31.25, I presume because there's a lot more stuff going on in the background.
The game is getting slowed down by the insane engine, I don't think TT would normally have a significant impact on your FPS and it should have no impact in standard low FPS scenario.

As for the hamlet tiles and such, they're sharing tiles with other important objects like quality symbol tiles, smoothed/engraved floor tile, stockpile floor tile, chests/containers tile, etc.

jeturcotte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: February 15, 2012, 09:12:26 pm »

Apologies if someone has asked this already, but after merging my mac download of the new DF (34) and then your graphic set, then go and play in fort mode... I'm getting HUMANS as my graphics.  Not exactly sure what I could have done wrong.

I've confirmed the graphics files are intact and that the corresponding phoebus .txt for dwarves references their file; *shrug*

A fresh install cleared this all up;
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:55:50 am by jeturcotte »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: February 15, 2012, 09:17:38 pm »

Hey Phoebus, my N's are outta control. What'd did I do wrong?

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: February 15, 2012, 09:29:23 pm »

Apologies if someone has asked this already, but after merging my mac download of the new DF (34) and then your graphic set, then go and play in fort mode... I'm getting HUMANS as my graphics.  Not exactly sure what I could have done wrong.

I've confirmed the graphics files are intact and that the corresponding phoebus .txt for dwarves references their file; *shrug*
Just to confirm, you copied the Phoebus raw and data directories over the Vanilla directories, overwriting all files?  Alternately, rename raw to vanilla-raw, and data to vanilla-data, and then copy the Phoebus versions of those files into the DF directory.  This should be all that is required.

Aydjile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: February 15, 2012, 09:44:03 pm »

Phoebus, you are awesome, my friend. Thank you very much for keeping your tileset updated and evolving. Much love to you!
Reality exists is only in our imagination.

Мой канал о жизни крепостей из Дварф Фортресс - https://www.youtube.com/user/Aydjile
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 140