Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are your most common reasons for losing a fort?

Dwarven Selection
- 113 (6.3%)
Wildlife
- 58 (3.2%)
Ambushes
- 154 (8.6%)
Sieges
- 207 (11.5%)
Undeads
- 118 (6.6%)
Forgotten Beasts
- 110 (6.1%)
Megabeasts
- 42 (2.3%)
The Circus
- 84 (4.7%)
FUN Spiral
- 286 (15.9%)
Dwarven Engineering
- 131 (7.3%)
FPS Death
- 396 (22%)
Other? (please specify)
- 97 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 879

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 140

Author Topic: [0.34.11v01] Phoebus' Graphic Set (0.34.11's one year anniversary update)  (Read 979084 times)

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like the idea of going from rough stone floors (basically dirt floor look) -> brick look (like it is now) -> to smooth "tiled" floor look ( '+' look or the old diamond look ).

I liked how in the old set the engraved floors looked very different from the smoothed floors. Helps it stand out and I think that the tiled look reminds me of marble flooring.
Engravings can add details, but they can't remove them. So there's really no way to get from the current brick look, to the old smooth look.
But it can go rough -> smooth -> brick, although even that could be pushing it.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I see, I wasn't aware of that limitation. I don't have any issues with the current implementation, was just looking for a bigger difference between smooth/engraved floors.

I am loving the new new walls though. Brings the best of the old walls while keeping with the idea of the new.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile

Although I like the new floors... ALOT... the problem with them is in the situations where they're not floors.

In adventurer mode I have attacks that the computer assures me are a "Floor" chance, instead of a "Plus" chance.

Maybe if the engravings made it look like bricks, yet the original "smoothed" floor tile looked like tiles when tiled, but a + sign when standing alone (long arms on the plus, engravings tilemagicked in to make it look like smaller tiles)

Ascii grid depiction:

Code: [Select]
   |   I   |     
---+---I---+---       
   |   I   |     
===============
   |   I   |     
---+---I---+---
   |   I   |     

I's and ='s being the Plus sign, the thinner "lines" being engravings.

Obviously the engravings could be better, but as a rough mock-up in text I think I got my suggestion to be at least understandable.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Designed an alternate smoothed floor. Similar in design philosophy as the old + tile.

White Material with standard engraving color:

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know your OCD will not let it stand out like that, but I like the direction it's taking.  The one on the right is what one would see for "+" in text, right?

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know your OCD will not let it stand out like that, but I like the direction it's taking.  The one on the right is what one would see for "+" in text, right?
Correct, right is the + (smooth floor & symbol) version, left is the engraved version.

Top left = White, top right = light grey
Bottom left = Yellow, bottom right = brown
All standard background/engraving colors.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like it.  If I sit back in my chair I can't even see the "+" the engravings, but I can always see the plus on the smooth ones but never the bricks (as it should be).

So yeah, that's what I was talking about.

Re: The post below

I like that one the best so far, too.  It's the best of all worlds.  Smooth for rivers, sturdy for dwarves, and the engravings look like mechanisms, so you can't say it ain't Dwarfy enough.  Hell it even looks good on human castles.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 06:56:57 pm by Jeoshua »

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile

Round Engravings with result 'screenshot'

Now that looks like the best one yet. I love it.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Latest smoothed floor + rounded walls + engravings:

I moved the brick floor alignment to reduce the visibility of the + once engraved. It's also nicer with rounded/crenelated walls because the bricks no longer end too close but too far from wall edges.

Edit: Not sure if want... :/
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:39:12 pm by Phoebus »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm, yeah.  The idea is awesome, but something just seems off.  The + doesn't look stony or organic enough, I think.  Why can't we have a graphics_stone.txt file?

manboricua

• Bay Watcher
  • After the 50th Fort, I'm getting the hang of this!
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

^ THIS ^ I love it!
Loving life every second

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a new floor tile to send in, complete with engravings (that I wish looked better) ... but GIMP decided to die when I tried to bring up the file menu to save it.  Damn me for not doing incremental saves as I worked. ;(

I'll see if I can recreate it that I've worked out the process. ;)  The concept was the "interlocking axes" pattern, as seen on the "Axe Head Mould" about a third of the way down this page.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.25v11] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Wall & Floor update)
« Reply #1017 on: April 13, 2011, 09:45:37 pm »

*Updated* 0.31.25v11
New rounded walls. (default tileset)
New crenelated walls. ("Crenelated" tileset)
Previous crenelated walls moved to "Crenelated_Old" tilset.
Added a new tileset with the old "+" floor style. (Smooth tileset)
Added a "Grimdark_Meld" tileset.
Removed the "Solid" tileset.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25v11] Phoebus' Graphic Set (Wall & Floor update)
« Reply #1018 on: April 13, 2011, 09:50:19 pm »

Urgh, I should have tested first.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Latest smoothed floor + rounded walls + engravings:

I moved the brick floor alignment to reduce the visibility of the + once engraved. It's also nicer with rounded/crenelated walls because the bricks no longer end too close but too far from wall edges.

Edit: Not sure if want... :/

I think this is the right way to do things, but I think you'll need a different base brick tile if you do- the angled bricks clash with the orthognal arms of the "plus" sign. But I agree I like how it looks like the tiles are farther from the walls.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 140