Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Game Soon!/Civilization 4 Mod: Fall from Heaven 2/Fall Further/Rise from Erebus  (Read 14637 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Aha, RIFE finally came to Bay12. I've started this modmod as a simple modification to Malakim race and some other tweaks, but a vigorous Valkrionn picked it up and bloated into an enormous modmod which adds TONS of stuff, like forts, climate changes, dynamical landscapes, 3 barbarian nations (orcs, demons, animals) and million of other stuff, including a lot of game system changes. I totally love it.

Also I let you know that within some time there will be a major overhaul released, and it's much better than the current one. I have a dev version, but I cannot release it due to NDA and for a surprise element.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried this game today and I'm a bit confused.

Is it possible to play against the AI without being forced to play Amurites?

Also are there people playing it online here?

Also the AI kicks ass...

Click Play Custom Game instead of Play Now, there you can select all game options.

There are some online games going on... mostly PBEM and succession games. http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

With the more recent versions of FFH2 parameters have been tweaked to let AI to use armies and spells better. In fact, combined with the more dangerous barbarians at the start FFH2, it is more difficult than the vanilla game for a new player.

Some tips:
- Scout with your first settler - it has boosted view radius and movement points. It's worth a few turns to get a perfect spot for your capital.
- Fortify with the warrior you start with, and build a worker first if the landscape and your tech allows improvement to be built. The boost to early growth is worth it.
- Pick a civilization, and study it in the Civilopedia first. Special units, buildings, blocked ones, heroes, world spells. Also check the wiki: http://fallfromheaven.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried this game today and I'm a bit confused.

Is it possible to play against the AI without being forced to play Amurites?

Also are there people playing it online here?

Also the AI kicks ass...

Click Play Custom Game instead of Play Now, there you can select all game options.

There are some online games going on... mostly PBEM and succession games. http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

With the more recent versions of FFH2 parameters have been tweaked to let AI to use armies and spells better. In fact, combined with the more dangerous barbarians at the start FFH2, it is more difficult than the vanilla game for a new player.

Some tips:
- Scout with your first settler - it has boosted view radius and movement points. It's worth a few turns to get a perfect spot for your capital.
- Fortify with the warrior you start with, and build a worker first if the landscape and your tech allows improvement to be built. The boost to early growth is worth it.
- Pick a civilization, and study it in the Civilopedia first. Special units, buildings, blocked ones, heroes, world spells. Also check the wiki: http://fallfromheaven.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page.

The "Custom Game"-option is disabled. All I have is "Custom Scenario", which won't allow the cange me much :/

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I'll try deleting and redownloading everything.
Then I'll follow the hidden install manual I just found.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Custom Game is disabled? That doesn't sound right.

Are you patched to the latest version in Beyond the Sword? The latest FFH2 requires the 3.19 patch.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It was patched.
But now that I redownloaded and reinstalled everything it works fine.

This mod looks great!
I hope we can organize some games sometime.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile

Deon got me to try out a different mod for Civ4, History of Three Kingdoms about a week ago, which I loved. He then got me to install this mod. I played a default mod scenario and got bored and gave up on the mod. I guess I'll try it again.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Was having a quite good game with the Ljosalfar.

But the figured out that you really have to focus your research unlike in the vanilla game :/

Let's see if I can do everything right tomorrow...

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Was having a quite good game with the Ljosalfar.

But the figured out that you really have to focus your research unlike in the vanilla game :/

Let's see if I can do everything right tomorrow...

Ljosalfar has a very obvious path... go green! Leaves is the best religion for her. Combined with Guardians of Nature civic, you will have a huge happy-cap, and all your cities will be huge, making lots of hammers from ancient forests.

Hunting - Archery provides good early defensive military strength, so you don't get extorted by AIs all the time. If you do it early enough, you can use the hero you get with archery to rush some neighbors too.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes their hero was awesome.
I've gotten him to level 13, after which hes topped gaining xp :(
Bugger, I wanted him to be the unit to enter the Circle of Cacer.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But the combat hasn't changed.
It's still tedious.

To have any chance to take a enemy city you need units which far outtech the enemies.
Hoped they changed that aspect of the game, to make it more dynamic...

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

not really... there are some things which help.

for example, the aboveground dwarves ( luchuirp?) can, later in the game, get a building which gives the fireball spell to every golem built in the city. Which makes conquering cities way easier. Even an army of mud golems might be troublesome for your enemies.

also, don't forget world spells. some civs have very useful world spells.
But mostly mages. I only had a couple of archmages/ hero mages, but if correctly upgraded a good mage can be a dangerous unit. The correct spell can change the course of the war.
The empyrean hero for example is a very powerful mage, and some of his spells are priceless during war. And the level 3 spirit spell gives a positive attitude bonus toward you for EVERY civ in the world. Lets not forget summons either.
And marksmen/assassins can get around the strongest units and kill all the weak ones.

I am in no way an expert, but depending n the civilization you are playing there are many things you can do.

by the way, if you are a militarly oriented player, I strongly suggest luchuirp. An army of golems, each of them with the fireball spell, and barnaxus fully upgraded giving a +50% to each golem, can be very destructive.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But the combat hasn't changed.
It's still tedious.

To have any chance to take a enemy city you need units which far outtech the enemies.
Hoped they changed that aspect of the game, to make it more dynamic...

You don't need to "far outtech" to take cities. You just need the right units and the right promotions.

And if you can't take cities, raid. The enemy will crumble under their failing economy, and their cities will eventually be yours.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, you don't need to "outtech" anyone in any Civ4 engine. I've taken down that dragon with axemen and a few well-placed spells. You can storm a lot of cities with basic troops, but expect a lot of losses.

Depends on the difficulty level, of course. At higher difficulties, you don't have the production or the research to outtech or outnumber anyone.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The vampire race works well for me.
While suffering no economic or technological drawbacks, they posess quite powerful troops.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5