Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: obsidian questions  (Read 1128 times)

Feral23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
obsidian questions
« on: May 17, 2010, 05:58:39 am »

so, i have been enjoying my new obsidian towers, courtesy of the gobbos...

but I cant access the stone from the z menu, and "rock short swords" turn out to be made wholly of wood.

even ordered up some raw obsidian from the caravan, no change.

not to mention that "equip specific weapon" wont show my iron shortswords, or better armor pieces...

what to do?

also- if elves dont show on the civ screen, are they extinct? been a couple years at this location, and only

gotten the caravan from the dwarves
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 06:01:24 am by Feral23 »
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup tiles ruined Ascii for me forever... and I played Hack when it was new.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: obsidian questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 07:19:23 am »

so, i have been enjoying my new obsidian towers, courtesy of the gobbos...

but I cant access the stone from the z menu, and "rock short swords" turn out to be made wholly of wood.

even ordered up some raw obsidian from the caravan, no change.

not to mention that "equip specific weapon" wont show my iron shortswords, or better armor pieces...

what to do?

also- if elves dont show on the civ screen, are they extinct? been a couple years at this location, and only

gotten the caravan from the dwarves

Making rock short swords ends up with wooden ones? That definitely sounds like a bug. The same things happen with some metals -- you smelt x ore and end up with bars of y; maybe this is something similar.

To elves, they may certainly be dead. In fact, the elves are one of the frailest races throughout worldgen so their chances of being decimated are higher than dwarves' or humans'. It could also be that you're utterly geographically isolated from any remaining elven groups. This can happen with humans, too. There are places where caravans can't or won't travel.

EDIT:

I can confirm this. I queued "make rock short sword" and a craftsdwarf brought a gold nugget as well as some fungiwood logs to the workshop. The end result is a fungiwood short sword. However, I do think the sword is still rock (or gold) despite being designated as wood. I mean, otherwise, where did the gold go? Presumably it makes the blade and the wood is the handle. I can't be sure, though. But it's not as if you can make wooden short swords, right? -- only training weapons, not actual ones. Since it's a proper weapon I have a hunch that it isn't merely wooden, despite being named so. Either that, or this is a bug and should be tracked.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:07:53 am by Bronzebeard »

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 08:06:03 am »

Feral23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 10:23:30 am »

thx folks.  so there is no workaround to cause obsidian to appear in the z - stone menu?
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup tiles ruined Ascii for me forever... and I played Hack when it was new.

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 10:46:19 am »

oops, forgot about that one. It looks like there is a workaround. I haven't tried it tho.
cannot disable the use of obsidian in the z->stone screen
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=73