Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Lars Vilks and a muslim gay bar  (Read 4761 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Lars Vilks and a muslim gay bar
« on: May 16, 2010, 11:31:42 pm »

So this guy Named Lars was recently attacked by Muslim students for showing a movie by Iranian artist Sooreh Hera about Islam and homosexuality. You can find the wiki link and a video of the actual attack below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lars_Vilks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQQAWrIvBoI&feature=player_embedded

Now while I won't deny that playing a video with "I want to take you to a gay bar" over pictures of Muslims and naked men isn't exactly what I would call a world beating idea for a presentation in front of Muslims but he had the right to do it. was he egging them on intentionally? Did they over react? What do you think?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Lars Vilks and a muslim gay bar
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:34:39 pm »

At this day in age you do that behind a plate of bulletproof glass. And while there may be some argument on what is right and wrong, you gotta be an idiot to pull this stuff off without some idea of how to avoid getting the snot beat out of you.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 12:05:25 am »

At this day in age you do that behind a plate of bulletproof glass. And while there may be some argument on what is right and wrong, you gotta be an idiot to pull this stuff off without some idea of how to avoid getting the snot beat out of you.
It seems wrong that the world would allow such a thing though. You'd think we'd be allowed to state our opinions without fear of being jihaded. But then again thats assuming that humans are rational beasts which is pretty stupid.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 12:10:01 am »

Again, I'm ignoring the morality of whether such a thing happen. In this world you know some things will get you attacked, particularly when dealing with people who value something very highly. I'm not saying don't show it, but use some discretion.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 01:15:09 am »

I don't quite understand why people keep harassing Muslims with stuff like this, or stuff about burkas, what Muhammad looks like (some even considered Muhammad in a bear suit to be offensive?), or anything else.  I thought we were trying to be an open-minded society, not the kind of society that harasses people until they send suicide bombers into our busy city squares to shut us up.  Not that they wouldn't send suicide bombers just because o_O

DasGuntLord01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 01:22:31 am »

Not many people actually HARRASS muslims, they just say stuff about them, correct or otherwise.  The whole point of an open minded society is that you can say whatever you like (and ignore whatever you like, too).

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 01:26:03 am »

I don't quite understand why people keep harassing Muslims with stuff like this, or stuff about burkas, what Muhammad looks like (some even considered Muhammad in a bear suit to be offensive?), or anything else.  I thought we were trying to be an open-minded society, not the kind of society that harasses people until they send suicide bombers into our busy city squares to shut us up.  Not that they wouldn't send suicide bombers just because o_O
Harass them UNTIL they send suicide bombers? You make it sound like people are just sitting there, slapping their ass, goading them into a fight. 99% of the time its just some one stating their opinion and the radical groups throw a shit fit. Also, isn't it alright to give someone some deserved stick for deciding to treat half their population like second class citizens? Its like saying that we just goaded those guys in darfur into a genocide by telling them to stop.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 01:46:48 am »

I have to side with Duke here. This is like going into a back alley in a very racist area at night and singing loudly about gay rights.

You have a right to do it, but you're a frigging idiot for even trying.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 01:51:51 am »

I have to side with Duke here. This is like going into a back alley in a very racist area at night and singing loudly about gay rights.

You have a right to do it, but you're a frigging idiot for even trying.
I'm pretty sure "Gay" isn't a race.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 01:54:44 am »

Bah, I wasn't thinking. Homophobic, I meant homophobic.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 02:04:55 am »

Bah, I wasn't thinking. Homophobic, I meant homophobic.
I know, I just like giving people a hard time  ;D

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 02:07:09 am »

Frankly, this has already gone too far. People are scared to death to say talk about the Muslim faith in a public setting, under the idea they might be subjected to violence. If that isn't taking a shit on free speech, I don't know what is.

This is like going into a back alley in a very racist area at night and singing loudly about gay rights.

When the proverbial "Very Racist Area" covers the whole world, that is a very serious problem.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 02:12:21 am »

I'm all for free speech but learning what is a good idea to say and what isn't is an important thing to learn. Yes, you will get attacked if you say certain things, yes that goes against free speech and yes, the fact that it goes against free speech changes nothing. It's not okay but it's there and I think that relatively small steps are needed to change it rather than "hey, let's show a crowd of Muslims a video which anyone with half a brain would realize they'll find offensive! I see nothing wrong with this and I feel I am making an important point."

Presumably the point was that if you show people something you know they'll find extremely offensive, they'll find it extremely offensive because I can't see any reasonable reason to have shown them this and expect anything less than what happened. This was the derpest of derp moves.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 02:23:08 am »

For the American, Australian, Canadian, and UK forumites, I'm fairly sure we haven't seen the face of real terrorism. By all means, correct me if I'm wrong about this. In the past ten years, nature has disrupted America far more than terrorism, the 'suspect terrorists' haven't really done much in the way of creating instability or killing large amounts of people, and we all still live in a home with the internets and food on the table. We had 9/11, but on a broad scale, it didn't completely disrupt our lives, if you were out of the impact zone.

When I think of terrorism, I think of, like, civil war type disruption. It would take multiple big atrocities before one of the larger nations can say they've felt the presence of terrorism.

(The metro was bombed, and that was a big deal, but it wasn't nation-crippling)

I feel like I may not know as much as I should, please enlighten me
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 02:29:27 am »

You're acting like all this started from him personally walking to the nearest Mosque and taking a dump during the middle of the prayer, then getting kicked around a little. He did a A Series of Sketches for a small art exhibit in Sweden, and got a bounty placed on his head, and now has had several assassination attempts directed at him. He's very lucky to be alive.

Relatively small steps do not cut it here. Hate to be cliche, but in the face of violence, I suggest bringing down a hell of a lot more violence in turn.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4