Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Do the gods on adventure mode exist?  (Read 6406 times)

Urist mc.miner

• Bay Watcher
  • Exit light!Enter night!!
    • View Profile
Do the gods on adventure mode exist?
« on: May 16, 2010, 11:12:11 pm »

Or is it just like real life?
Quote from: Footkerchief on Today at 02:46:06 am
Quote from: Grakelin on May 12, 2010, 10:01:05 pm
In Soviet Russia, environment destroys you!

Germany learned this the hard way.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
Re: Do the gods on adventure mode exist?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:55:51 pm »

They're there...they just won't talk back to you or grant you favours or send you to a special quests as the chosen one (yet).

They simply like to silently watch over you and sometimes they even make bets between themselves on how long you'll last before you screw yourself over.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 11:59:17 pm »

They're there, but mortals like you are like ants to them. Do you talk to ants? I don't talk to ants. I wonder who ants don't talk to.

What was the topic again?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Dogmeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 01:04:26 am »

Right now the only gods that actually exist in DF are demons pretending to be gods.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 01:16:06 am »

Right now the only gods that actually exist in DF are demons pretending to be gods.
They exist... They just don't do jack squat.
You can even talk to them... But they won't respond. :-\
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 06:15:24 pm »

Yeah, there isn't much you can do involving the gods, unless you take the Mega/Forgotten Beasts and Demon's claim that they are physical avatars of god X seriously. For now. With any luck, Toady will eventualy allow us to build a tower into the sky and invade heaven.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 06:23:12 pm »

Yeah, there isn't much you can do involving the gods, unless you take the Mega/Forgotten Beasts and Demon's claim that they are physical avatars of god X seriously. For now. With any luck, Toady will eventualy allow us to build a tower into the sky and invade heaven.
"Hopefully Toady will..."
Going from here, the logical line of thought would be "...allow us to interact with our gods."
Unless you're a dwarf. Then you just want to beat the crap out of it.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 01:39:40 am »

BAM, that's a sneaky-ass troll right there.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 01:58:01 am »

BAM, that's a sneaky-ass troll right there.

I hardly would call that stealth trolling. He simply claims that he has no interaction with RL gods.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 08:33:39 am »

"Do the gods on adventure mode exist? Or is it just like real life?"

He's saying that no gods exist in RL, not that he doesn't interact with them.

Also, I'd love the feature to build something tall and invade heaven itself! It balances the interest of the worlds, with not everything interesting below ground! I'd make a fortress that connects between heaven and hell. It would be symbolic for... something. :D

Heaven
    |
 Surface
    |
Underground
    |
   Hell
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 08:56:52 am »

I'd make a fortress that connects between heaven and hell. It would be symbolic for... something. :D
Fun?
Hey, look what I did!
Dr. Melon cancels read post: spelling incredibly poor.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 09:00:41 am »

You know, from a Dwarven perspective, I wouldn't be surprised if their Heaven is underground (if they have such a concept).

Seriously, I don't see Dwarves picturing someplace high up in the sky as idyllic. That would be frightening and alien to them, just like stuff 10 miles underground is to us.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 09:47:24 am »

"Do the gods on adventure mode exist? Or is it just like real life?"

He's saying that no gods exist in RL, not that he doesn't interact with them.

Also, I'd love the feature to build something tall and invade heaven itself! It balances the interest of the worlds, with not everything interesting below ground! I'd make a fortress that connects between heaven and hell. It would be symbolic for... something. :D

Heaven
    |
 Surface
    |
Underground
    |
   Hell

If Heaven were to be in the game, then in the name of Science we would need to build a staircase to heaven, walled off from the outside, then dig down to Hell, giving the HFS a clear path to Heaven...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 01:15:46 pm »

Fun?
Symbolic of Fun? Certainly. :D It would be like a moon elevator!
You know, from a Dwarven perspective, I wouldn't be surprised if their Heaven is underground (if they have such a concept).

Seriously, I don't see Dwarves picturing someplace high up in the sky as idyllic. That would be frightening and alien to them, just like stuff 10 miles underground is to us.
Very interesting thought. I don't think us mortals would find Heaven to be a cakewalk at all, no. Frightening and alien would work, but in a different way from the forgotten beasts and demons down below. Hell is a commonplace depiction in fantasy fiction. Heaven, less so... So very much room for innovation! Would the creatures above attack mortals? After all, they shouldn't be up there...
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 01:21:20 pm »

It would certainly be interesting if Toady decided to add at an impossibly high point angelic/faerie beings flying in the ether, but I don't know how you would manage that.

And considering what most of us make our dwarves do, I wouldn't be surprised if they rained down from the heavens and started purging the land.
Pages: [1] 2 3