Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Do the gods on adventure mode exist?  (Read 6393 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Do the gods on adventure mode exist?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 01:26:01 pm »

Heaven could certainly be alien and insane. A dwarven paradise would indeed be underground, but heaven would be a place for the gods to live. Like Mount Olympus in Roman/Greek mythology. As for non-god heaven dwellers, the oldest translated discriptions of abrahamic-religion angels are very disturbing. Six wings, three faces, eyes and teeth everywhere.... I swear, they almost sound like some of the forgoten beasts.

Besides, the dwarves would be attempting to invade Heaven for two very good reasons:

A. There might be good booze up there.

B. They could literaly make it rain alcohol.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dagoth Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 01:50:03 pm »

Heaven could certainly be alien and insane. A dwarven paradise would indeed be underground, but heaven would be a place for the gods to live. Like Mount Olympus in Roman/Greek mythology. As for non-god heaven dwellers, the oldest translated descriptions of abrahamic-religion angels are very disturbing. Six wings, three faces, eyes and teeth everywhere.... I swear, they almost sound like some of the forgotten beasts.

Besides, the dwarves would be attempting to invade Heaven for two very good reasons:

A. There might be good booze up there.

B. They could literaly make it rain alcohol.

I'm familiar with the seraphim, those weirdos :P Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't those angels actually tell the mortals they contact "to not be afraid"? I reckon there'd be a very good reason for that, if you have four faces and only one of them is human!

We certainly do have reasons to invade! Besides, I'm sure that some humans would love to colonize Heaven and reign supreme from there. Playing god after exterminating the true gods. Incredible! The dwarves I can't see wanting the actually settle the place :P

We really should make a collaborative list over what the community wants to be incorporated into the lore and the game. Not just for gameplay changes and such, that's what the entire Suggestion subforum is for. For example, this concept of a real, tangible Heaven. Someone ought to... Please?  ;D
- "Very well. If you are impatient to begin. Go ahead. You are the challenger. To you goes the first blow." -

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 02:07:56 pm »

I'm familiar with the seraphim, those weirdos :P Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't those angels actually tell the mortals they contact "to not be afraid"? I reckon there'd be a very good reason for that, if you have four faces and only one of them is human!

Yeah, but the weird thing is that sometimes its "Don't run away screaming and half-insane at the prospect of my apperance" and sometimes its "Don't begin to immediately drop to your knees and worship my supreme, unimaginable beauty". They don't seem very consistant about it.

Come to think of it, I bet a rampage through Heaven, killing everything that moves would actualy impress Armok more than anything else. He is the God of Blood, after all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 04:08:50 pm »

In 40d, I'm sure I came across one walking about near a temple once, in the year 1. It was an Umlat character (you know, the U with the two dots above it) and it flashed. I didn't have a chance to speak to it because it disappeared after a few turns.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 04:26:35 pm »

i already see it:

1. Raining "above" "heaven"
2. rain creates a water puddle
3. carp spawns in that puddle
4. ? ? ?
5. red godly rain.

(6. red godly rain filled in bottles for <insert whatever you can think godly red rain could awsomely do>)
(7. profit (if sold to a demon caravan))

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 06:47:53 pm »

Yeah, but the weird thing is that sometimes its "Don't run away screaming and half-insane at the prospect of my apperance" and sometimes its "Don't begin to immediately drop to your knees and worship my supreme, unimaginable beauty". They don't seem very consistant about it.

That works for Seraphs and angels of the lower choirs, since they look human (despite the wings, heads, and whatnot), but I'll bet you my casket of sewer brew that cherubs had to shout that all the time.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 07:42:55 pm »

Considering that this game is quite sadistic, Toady would promise us heaven, we'd build stairways to heaven, and then our dwarves would suffocate in space. Until we build rockets. Then we will blast off even farther and hit the moon!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 07:53:28 am »

Considering that this game is quite sadistic, Toady would promise us heaven, we'd build stairways to heaven, and then our dwarves would suffocate in space. Until we build rockets. Then we will blast off even farther and hit the moon!
You know, blasting off your fortress and hitting the moon is the ultimate end-game objective. Toady is working on the [AMPHIBOOZ] tag so we can survive in huge forts as long as we supply enough booze (over nine thousand times more than normally. Mainly due to the fact that they breathe it AND drink it at the same time.)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 08:09:59 am »

Do the gods on adventure mode exist? Or is it just like real life?

Yes.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 08:44:08 am »

You win, for answering the question and being ridiculously unhelpful at the same time.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 08:56:44 am »

I heard someone say that if you talk to a god 200.000 times or so, you get an answer.

I don't think this is true, though.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 09:31:38 am »

Hell, I think that I can beat him. Because I got an in-game god to speak to me.
Here's a few guidelines:

1. Asking gods about their family/other "personal stuff" will make a random body part (usually a finger) fall off. They DON'T want to speak about it. However, if it's a god of marriage, you may get a response if you're lucky. When the body part falls off, the convo window closes and you rather suddenly start bleeding. Yet you supposedly can ask for healing, I have no idea how, but the ear that fell off in my example suddenly regrew itself and I was a possessor of a vintage adventurer ear. Asking a god about the surroundings won't get you anything else than name of the lands and what wanders there - not the directions - and will reveal them on the travel map, even if normally inaccessable. The range of this is fixed to 5x5 from your current travel tile.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
2. To get a response from god, you need to open up the talk window and "send him a message" about 200k times. Works best on the part when you ask about his/her family, because if it works you get a message about a random body part detaching. But beware, I've seen heads fall off randomly, and even inner organs teleporting out of your body.

Currently I'm the only one that reported this working, are you guys too lazy to do it for SCIENCE or what? It gives you so many perks. Seriously. You can even get artifacts from your fortresses using them, a flute worth a million dwarfbucks to you is worth a hundred to them.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 09:47:19 am »

I will test this for great justice

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 11:02:14 am »

Hell, I think that I can beat him. Because I got an in-game god to speak to me.

Pics or it did not happen.
I'm sorry to say this but something this awesome and this hard to check tend to be utter bullshit.
No offense, but I will not let myself to believe it before I have a good reason to.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 11:38:14 am »

This is dwarf fortress, taking the time and effort to design and build a perpetual motion machine to see that it wasn't just a rumor, takes more time than it takes to plop down an adventurer get a god and bug them 200 times.

Knowing Toady it could very well be an easter egg like the moving the screen an ungodly amount east or west in 2D.

Or knowing DF, could break some counter that counts how many times you ask something to make some odd behavior.

P.S. As for a stairway to heaven. For some reason I recall some old wives tale of a tower in some book or another that tried to do just that.  I imagine there would have to be a chance of a forced cavein after a certain height and all the letters in your dwarves names being scrambled.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:45:22 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3