Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What programming topic would you want the next challenge to be about?  (It might be a good opportunity to focus on a subject you're not familiar with or to reinforce knowledge on one that you already know)

Control Flow
- 2 (2.2%)
Arrays, Strings, Pointers, and References
- 8 (9%)
Functions
- 4 (4.5%)
Basic object-oriented programming
- 30 (33.7%)
A bit more advanced OOP (Composition, Operator overloading, Inheritance, Virtual Functions)
- 18 (20.2%)
Templates
- 8 (9%)
Other (Explain)
- 4 (4.5%)
Working with files?  (Streams)
- 15 (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 78

Author Topic: Programming Challenges & Resources (#bay12prog) Initiative  (Read 95654 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Programming Challenges & Resources (#bay12prog) Initiative
« Reply #1095 on: April 02, 2011, 04:13:12 am »

Damn, shame I found this thread late at night >_o. I've been trying to code a game in VB and keep getting hung up. I'll read through this thread tomorrow, but for now here's a link to my current project http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=81060.0 and I'll post to watch and remind myself this exists.
hi!
I will talk to you in your thread, as I am also making a game in VB.

EDIT: still reading stroustrup!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: April 08, 2011, 11:39:11 am »

I was pretty much converted to using the IDE geany instead of using both gedit and the command line to practice C++, but I ran into a problem with it. When I try to run the program, I get this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If I copy and paste the same code into gedit, save, and then use G++ in the terminal on the file, it works fine:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd give the code as well, but I'm guessing that this is not the problem. It's strange btw because It's copied form the book I'm learning from.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: April 09, 2011, 05:44:43 am »

strange. maybe your compiler/IDE is not ICO C++ standards-compliant?  ???
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: April 09, 2011, 08:27:33 am »

Probably because the code is compiled to another folder. Note that the script says that the executable is "not found". Check around in the folders to see if there's any sort of "Debug" or "Build" folder. Put the run script in there, then it should work.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: April 09, 2011, 06:47:45 pm »

Umm, not entirely sure where to go for this, but I'm sure somebody here can either help me out or point me in the right direction. Having never made a roguelike,  and wishing to make one within the time frame of 7 days, I require a nice package to handle user interface. I was told libtcod (A.K.A the Doryen library) would be good and that it includes a wrapper for c#.

Oh yea, I'm using c#, it is the fastest language I can code in.

So, now that I have downloaded the entire thing for c, c++, python and this wrapper, anybody know what parts of it I need? I have used non-intrinsic librarys of code before, but never a wrapper.

Enlighten me.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: April 10, 2011, 01:39:15 pm »

Figured my problem out, and it was a stupid mistake.

Since it worked before and I never changed any of those settings, I just looked around for a minute in the folder that the source .cpp file is in. I didn't see the finished app (named structur), but I did see structur.o which I remember is a compiled file.

Geany has a button for compiling, a button for building a file, and a button for running a file. I compiled the file, but didn't build it. Thus when I tried to run the file, there was nothing to run. Just forgot to press a button. I blame my problem on IDE's I'm using for classes in Java and Visual Basic, because they work differently.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: April 10, 2011, 01:45:46 pm »

Umm, not entirely sure where to go for this, but I'm sure somebody here can either help me out or point me in the right direction. Having never made a roguelike,  and wishing to make one within the time frame of 7 days, I require a nice package to handle user interface. I was told libtcod (A.K.A the Doryen library) would be good and that it includes a wrapper for c#.

So, now that I have downloaded the entire thing for c, c++, python and this wrapper, anybody know what parts of it I need? I have used non-intrinsic librarys of code before, but never a wrapper.

Enlighten me.
probably the one for C++ (Visual C++ is close to C#. if there's one for Visual Basic that one might actually be a bit closer o.0)
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: April 10, 2011, 02:43:24 pm »

Enlighten me.
probably the one for C++ (Visual C++ is close to C#. if there's one for Visual Basic that one might actually be a bit closer o.0)
I'm not to experienced when it comes to C#, but when I set up the Libtcod wrapper for Lisp, I only needed the .dll files of the mingw variant, though I think the wrapper documentation specified that. (note to self: If you're using a wrapper that uses .dll files, put them in the same map as the project you're working on, not in the same file as the wrapper. Saves you a headache)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: April 14, 2011, 08:39:42 am »

Spoiler: Code is in C (click to show/hide)
In mkcanvas, how do turn c.data into a two dimensional array. I've tried some silly mallocs and the above but it doesn't work. It segfaults when trying to access c.data[0][0].red.

Never mind this, the guys at ##c tell me it isn't really possible.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 09:14:48 am by ILikePie »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: April 14, 2011, 11:39:02 am »

Also planning on participating in 7DRL. Anyone know how to set up libtcod for Visual Studio 2010 (C++ if that matters)?

If someone can refer me to a good roguelike tutorial too, I'd appreciate it.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 14, 2011, 11:48:04 am »

This one worked good for me, although its python/libtcod-centric.  I'm sure the concepts all apply though.

http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Complete_Roguelike_Tutorial,_using_python%2Blibtcod
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: April 14, 2011, 12:52:16 pm »

Also planning on participating in 7DRL. Anyone know how to set up libtcod for Visual Studio 2010 (C++ if that matters)?

Put the library in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10\VS\include\libtcod\ and #include it?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: April 14, 2011, 01:19:51 pm »

Put the library in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10\VS\include\libtcod\ and #include it?

All the contents of the .zip?

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: April 14, 2011, 02:45:02 pm »

I think so, I mean what does it have in there? Should just be a bunch of .c and .h files.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: April 14, 2011, 03:03:18 pm »

Ok, well hi to all of you.

I have a programming related question, and wish to ask some people who know what they're talking about, and some of you do.

I'm thinking of a project, a multiplayer RPG kinda game... but obviously only single to start with, and evolving as it goes, and such... and it's 3D and... well. I've got no engines or anything which are totally free source which might work. I have no idea what language would be best (I have programming exp., but not in anything really useful -.-) and it seems I may have to write my own engine, which would take years and be extremely painful. The only thing close I've found so far is Jmonkey3. But it says it's unsuitable for, say, a visual RPG. Hmm. :P Plus, I'm not sure if Java will be too overloaded by the game, C/++ might be better (faster). Sooo... any ideas? It'd be nice if I didn't have to pay any royalties and could sell etc. if I ever wanted to.

PS. The project is DF influenced. :P Anyway.

Thanks all. If you can help, I'd be epichappy.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 78