Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What programming topic would you want the next challenge to be about?  (It might be a good opportunity to focus on a subject you're not familiar with or to reinforce knowledge on one that you already know)

Control Flow
- 2 (2.2%)
Arrays, Strings, Pointers, and References
- 8 (9%)
Functions
- 4 (4.5%)
Basic object-oriented programming
- 30 (33.7%)
A bit more advanced OOP (Composition, Operator overloading, Inheritance, Virtual Functions)
- 18 (20.2%)
Templates
- 8 (9%)
Other (Explain)
- 4 (4.5%)
Working with files?  (Streams)
- 15 (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 78

Author Topic: Programming Challenges & Resources (#bay12prog) Initiative  (Read 95687 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Programming Challenges & Resources (#bay12prog) Initiative
« Reply #1065 on: March 15, 2011, 10:06:08 am »

Code::Blocks is OK. For linux there's also KDevelop that is promising but I struggled a bit to get it to do what I wanted.
For anyone using Qt there's QCreator.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: March 15, 2011, 12:26:19 pm »

Vim/emacs from a command line with a compiler may be nice, but I'm pretty sure that isn't an IDE.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: March 15, 2011, 12:28:45 pm »

I like scite, but it probably doesn't count as an IDE either. 

http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: March 15, 2011, 03:42:50 pm »

Code::Blocks is OK. For linux there's also KDevelop that is promising but I struggled a bit to get it to do what I wanted.
For anyone using Qt there's QCreator.
my friend uses it...
the thing is that I hate writing makefiles :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #1069 on: March 15, 2011, 08:12:46 pm »

yeah ide's
well Visual C++ is kinda annoying in that it's managed...
What do you mean? You're saying that using c++ in VS2010 means you have to go for managed c++?  I must have missed that the last 2 years... O_o
Totally incorrect on multiple levels, FYI.
not always, but iirc VC++ code is not completely compliant to the C++ standards, and it has lots of stuff other IDE's don't have (plus some parts have a different command etc.)
I don't know what's stopping you from writing standard c++ code in VS2010 and compiling in whatever target platform you need when you actually need.  Watch your external libraries, though.
Vim/emacs from a command line with a compiler may be nice, but I'm pretty sure that isn't an IDE.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2010/09/01/emacs-emulation-extension-now-available.aspx
http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/59ca71b3-a4a3-46ca-8fe1-0e90e3f79329

If you're into that type of fast-type key bindings.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:12:37 pm by Alexhans »
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: March 16, 2011, 03:23:31 am »

What does an IDE need to count as an IDE?
I have syntax highlighting, compile, link and test output and line by line debugging in Vim.

not always, but iirc VC++ code is not completely compliant to the C++ standards, and it has lots of stuff other IDE's don't have (plus some parts have a different command etc.)

The current VC++ compiler is, as far as I'm aware, fully standards compliant and has a number of the c++0x features. There are windows specific header files people include which obviously contain non-standard stuff but that is just a matter of how you sort your platform independence.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #1071 on: March 16, 2011, 05:59:15 am »

according to Wikipedia an IDE normally consists of:

• a source code editor
  • a compiler and/or an interpreter
  • build automation tools
  • a debugger

And it argues that Vim/emacs are used as IDEs.

The ambiguity of it all might reside in that Vim/emacs are subject to modification and configuration to provide different needs while all the GUI IDE's I'm familiar with are usually already set up for the user (or look more intuitive at first glance?).
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: March 16, 2011, 08:49:52 am »

Just a random resource I stumbled upon (seriously, with StumbleUpon). You can buy teh book, or download the PDF for free. I play to read it later.

http://www.cleveralgorithms.com/
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: March 16, 2011, 05:00:15 pm »

Just a random resource I stumbled upon (seriously, with StumbleUpon). You can buy teh book, or download the PDF for free. I play to read it later.

http://www.cleveralgorithms.com/
Hmm, quite a few there I hadn't heard of before, thanks for that! I also love the publishing method: "Here it is for free, buy the book if you liked it."

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: March 16, 2011, 08:07:05 pm »

What does an IDE need to count as an IDE?
I have syntax highlighting, compile, link and test output and line by line debugging in Vim.

syntax highlighting: easy, possibly on be default
compile/link: ":make" (probably other ways/options that i'm not familiar with)
other stuff: what? how? does vim interface with gdb? plugin or native?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: March 16, 2011, 11:39:05 pm »

I personally do my coding with gedit and command line G++.

Syntax highlighting is automatic when saving the file as .cpp, or can be turned on manually otherwise.

I do miss the ability to compile without going to the command line, but I can live with that for cleanliness of the UI (Codeblocks UI confuses the hell out of me... I don't need all that clutter).

I'm not sure if I miss any other sort of debugging though, because I've never had to use it. My debugging is done line by line when G++ gives me errors.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: March 17, 2011, 04:13:46 am »

I personally do my coding with gedit and command line G++.

Syntax highlighting is automatic when saving the file as .cpp, or can be turned on manually otherwise.

I do miss the ability to compile without going to the command line, but I can live with that for cleanliness of the UI (Codeblocks UI confuses the hell out of me... I don't need all that clutter).

I'm not sure if I miss any other sort of debugging though, because I've never had to use it. My debugging is done line by line when G++ gives me errors.

(Psst, I'm pretty sure G++ is just an alias to gcc's c++ compiler.)

Do you have any makefiles set up? Makes compiling much easier, practically required once you add a couple libraries IMO.

Anyone know of a GUI frontend/wrapper for make/Makefiles? It'd have to have something interesting to really be worth it I guess...

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: March 17, 2011, 08:52:29 am »

kdevelop, though i haven't ever makde a makefile myself :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: March 17, 2011, 07:03:44 pm »

(Psst, I'm pretty sure G++ is just an alias to gcc's c++ compiler.)

Do you have any makefiles set up? Makes compiling much easier, practically required once you add a couple libraries IMO.

Anyone know of a GUI frontend/wrapper for make/Makefiles? It'd have to have something interesting to really be worth it I guess...
(psst, it sure is)

no idea what makefiles are honestly. For that matter I still make all my programs in a single .cpp file, and have no idea how to include or use outside files (yet).

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: March 17, 2011, 10:33:08 pm »

no idea what makefiles are honestly. For that matter I still make all my programs in a single .cpp file, and have no idea how to include or use outside files (yet).

Multiple files's pretty simple:
Code: (foo.h) [Select]
extern struct my_lib_type;
extern function my_lib_func();

Code: (foo.c) [Select]
#include "foo.h"
 . . .
// declare and use the types listed in foo.h as normal
// but make sure to define all of them

Code: (main.c) [Select]
#include "foo.h"
 . . .
// use the types listed in foo.h as normal
// but make sure not to redefine them

That's the file/include structure for C, AFAIK it's the same for C++.

"#include" basically just copy-pastes the named file in at the location of the #include
the extern keyword tells the complier/linker (not sure which, maybe both?) that the name is defined in another object file

you can then compile w/ "gcc main.c foo.c -o myApp"

each source file is pre-processed (handles all the #foo directives), then compiled to an object file.

the command above puts the .o files in a temp location and immediately links them to an executable

a makefile usually (but doesn't have to) list each .o file as a target with its corresponding .c file as a requirement. if the .c has been modified since the .o was last built, it runs commands (usually just gcc, with a flag to stop before linking) to update it. the default target is generally the executable, which depends on all of the .o files

I think that mostly covers it... makefiles can be used for a number of other things too
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 78