Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What programming topic would you want the next challenge to be about?  (It might be a good opportunity to focus on a subject you're not familiar with or to reinforce knowledge on one that you already know)

Control Flow
- 2 (2.2%)
Arrays, Strings, Pointers, and References
- 8 (9%)
Functions
- 4 (4.5%)
Basic object-oriented programming
- 30 (33.7%)
A bit more advanced OOP (Composition, Operator overloading, Inheritance, Virtual Functions)
- 18 (20.2%)
Templates
- 8 (9%)
Other (Explain)
- 4 (4.5%)
Working with files?  (Streams)
- 15 (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 78

Author Topic: Programming Challenges & Resources (#bay12prog) Initiative  (Read 95754 times)

Blank Expression

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Programming Challenges & Resources (#bay12prog) Initiative
« Reply #960 on: February 21, 2011, 02:20:46 pm »

There's a difference between a discussion and a full fledged angry argument (yes, presenting your argument is part of a discussion, but you know what I mean, don't try to out pun me man!),  and this thread definitely has a foot in angry.
While consciously attempting to avoid treading on any toes: some people in this thread clearly have been to the rodeo before and have a grasp of the topic of software development, with enough of a practical, theoretical, and empirical background to make statements like some of the ones I've made in this thread. Some people in this thread operate on hobbyist logic, which is long (well, medium) on the empirical aspects and short on practice and theory. Which is fine when that's all you've got, but it should--almost "has to," really--give way when somebody with demonstrable bona fides points out something that invalidates the hobbyist logic. The resistance between hobbyist logic and new information often causes cognitive dissonance and butthurt (especially when delivered, as I am fond of, as declarative statements that look presumptuous when one doesn't realize that the speaker's already done his homework--when I say something in a declarative way, it's because I [probably] have done that homework).

Currently, I've split my project into multiple files each containing a certain thing, such as one set for item implementations and another for rooms. I'm finding this easier to maintain because of the length of files involved, but at the same time I sometimes run into strange errors to do with it, and I'm worried the web'll just start tangling up into a mess after a while.

Should I keep on with the multi-file style, or should I start merging everything into fewer, longer files? What advantages/disadvantages lie in each?
Needs way more information to be a coherent question. What language? Are these code files object-based or procedural? What are you attempting to do that is causing these errors?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: February 21, 2011, 02:40:25 pm »

Currently, I've split my project into multiple files each containing a certain thing, such as one set for item implementations and another for rooms. I'm finding this easier to maintain because of the length of files involved, but at the same time I sometimes run into strange errors to do with it, and I'm worried the web'll just start tangling up into a mess after a while.

Should I keep on with the multi-file style, or should I start merging everything into fewer, longer files? What advantages/disadvantages lie in each?
Needs way more information to be a coherent question. What language? Are these code files object-based or procedural? What are you attempting to do that is causing these errors?

C++. Files are mostly object-based, I have some procedures in there too. I'm tying them together via #include "bluh" (I don't #include .cpp files though, as apparently that's bad and I don't think I need to do that) as I'm supposed to do. I got an LNK2005 error from that once, which fixed itself somehow.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #962 on: February 21, 2011, 05:01:36 pm »

There can't be "no good reason" if so many people do it. Your inability to give a balanced or nuanced answer makes your point unbelievable. Thank you for your time, your arguments are noted, but please don't bother.

According to my programming teacher, who has worked in the video game industry for ~10 years, Visual Studio has been the standard for any company he's ever worked for or heard of that worked in C++/C#.  Basically, you can't beat VS in an IDE-off.  It's simply the best there is.

I'm fairly new to programming, so unfortunately I can't really say what about Visual Studio makes it better.  It's been very nice to work in so far though.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: February 21, 2011, 05:06:28 pm »

Ahh, now I know what (y)our problem is, BE  (And Derek who just ninja'd me) :D

I come here for my hobby stuff. If I would need any advice for my work stuff from a forum like this, I'd be "doin it wrong". That is why most people here have a hobby attitude: it's supposed to be fun and games. So yeah, hobbyist logic, because I'm here for Fun, not the absolute truth in programming. Also, I got a genuine Toady warning the last time I talked to someone like you, so I'm going to stop doing that.

Well, you only ever need to include .h files. You hardly ever have to include files from .h files, if you use pointers as members. Then you can suffice with a "class B;" statement in the top.

For instance, room.h does not need to include door.h:

Code: [Select]
class Door;

class Room {
  public:
  std::list<Door*> doors;
};

In order to use any functions on the real Door object, you do need to include Door.h from the Room.cpp file, but that's okay. Keep in mind that all #include does, is make One Big Text File of your code, in a certain order. Circular references are bad.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: February 21, 2011, 05:23:31 pm »

While consciously attempting to avoid treading on any toes: some people in this thread clearly have been to the rodeo before and have a grasp of the topic of software development, with enough of a practical, theoretical, and empirical background to make statements like some of the ones I've made in this thread. Some people in this thread operate on hobbyist logic, which is long (well, medium) on the empirical aspects and short on practice and theory. Which is fine when that's all you've got, but it should--almost "has to," really--give way when somebody with demonstrable bona fides points out something that invalidates the hobbyist logic. The resistance between hobbyist logic and new information often causes cognitive dissonance and butthurt (especially when delivered, as I am fond of, as declarative statements that look presumptuous when one doesn't realize that the speaker's already done his homework--when I say something in a declarative way, it's because I [probably] have done that homework).

Ehhh, why so serious?

What are you, some sort of professional programmer?

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: February 21, 2011, 05:53:34 pm »

@eerr:
And so my face met my desk.

Eh. I don't see what's the problem. Person A has viewpoint A. Person B has viewpoint B. They argue about their viewpoints, Person C now sees the relative merits of both viewpoint A and viewpoint B. It's a learning process.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: February 21, 2011, 05:57:01 pm »

Ehhh, why so serious?

What are you, some sort of professional programmer?

Apparently he is. He seems to know what he's doing, at least. :P

Ahh, now I know what (y)our problem is, BE  (And Derek who just ninja'd me) :D

I come here for my hobby stuff. If I would need any advice for my work stuff from a forum like this, I'd be "doin it wrong". That is why most people here have a hobby attitude: it's supposed to be fun and games. So yeah, hobbyist logic, because I'm here for Fun, not the absolute truth in programming. Also, I got a genuine Toady warning the last time I talked to someone like you, so I'm going to stop doing that.

Well, you only ever need to include .h files. You hardly ever have to include files from .h files, if you use pointers as members. Then you can suffice with a "class B;" statement in the top.

For instance, room.h does not need to include door.h:

Code: [Select]
class Door;

class Room {
  public:
  std::list<Door*> doors;
};

In order to use any functions on the real Door object, you do need to include Door.h from the Room.cpp file, but that's okay. Keep in mind that all #include does, is make One Big Text File of your code, in a certain order. Circular references are bad.

Right, I'm aware of that, and as far as I can tell I'm not making anything circular.

Should I be splitting them like this and using the #includes, or should I merge them all anyways?

It might not be the best example, but looking at the LCS 4.1 source they've used just one file for the whole game.

It is just a matter of preference?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #967 on: February 21, 2011, 06:03:06 pm »

Its been absolutely forever since I did c++, but when I did I tended to put everything in one main file, but that was for relatively small programs.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: February 21, 2011, 06:23:11 pm »

@eerr:
And so my face met my desk.

Eh. I don't see what's the problem. Person A has viewpoint A. Person B has viewpoint B. They argue about their viewpoints, Person C now sees the relative merits of both viewpoint A and viewpoint B. It's a learning process.
I know, this was for Blank Expression, specifically.

It seems like we drive away people who act the same as they do professionally, here.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: February 21, 2011, 07:38:05 pm »

Spoiler: offtopic (click to show/hide)
Ontopic:
Everything in one big file is.. more cumbersome in my experience. Even for smaller programs.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #970 on: February 22, 2011, 12:42:40 am »

I can see a few different ways of interpreting "one big file". Care to elaborate? It could mean one single source file that contains everything, or all of the headers combined, some odd combination of the two...
Eh?
Eh!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: February 22, 2011, 03:41:13 am »

I'm fairly new to programming, so unfortunately I can't really say what about Visual Studio makes it better.  It's been very nice to work in so far though.

Visual Studio is arguably MS's best product, and if you want one feature which puts it a head and shoulders about other IDE's I've used it is the debugging and remote debugging integration. Not that GDB isn't great but it's not as easy to use and doesn't tie into any IDE as well as the VS is setup, and lets face it if your debugging there is a good chance your mind wants to be on the problem and not struggling against UI.

I use Code::Blocks a lot at home and Eclipse CDT from time to time, and tend to use VS at work, however the only reason I don't use it at home is because I don't run Windows as my main OS. Other aspects than the debugger it's more a swings and roundabouts thing, and the latest VS compiler and the current GCC are comparable for features and optimisation abilities.

Everything in one big file is.. more cumbersome in my experience. Even for smaller programs.

Very much so, the bigger a program is the more this will cause problems. It's just easier to find stuff in nicely organised code, and you may as well start your organisation at the file level. You will also find that big files lead to strange code dependencies, depending on which language you are using you might find that your code only compiles because object a and b are in the same file which is not something you want to require.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: February 22, 2011, 03:55:28 am »

Now that's an answer I can work with. So, as I'm unwilling to spend any money, is it worth it to try out VS Express?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: February 22, 2011, 04:40:53 am »

I used VSExpress, and it was possibly the best IDE I found for C++ at least. Yes, try it and use it. You can even use it forever as long as you do tha registering thing.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: February 22, 2011, 05:29:05 am »

I'm okay with "registering". I'm just not paying any money to "that company" on personal principle. Yes, I'm looking at you, IE. There's still so many hours of my life that I want back, first.

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 78