Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What programming topic would you want the next challenge to be about?  (It might be a good opportunity to focus on a subject you're not familiar with or to reinforce knowledge on one that you already know)

Control Flow
- 2 (2.2%)
Arrays, Strings, Pointers, and References
- 8 (9%)
Functions
- 4 (4.5%)
Basic object-oriented programming
- 30 (33.7%)
A bit more advanced OOP (Composition, Operator overloading, Inheritance, Virtual Functions)
- 18 (20.2%)
Templates
- 8 (9%)
Other (Explain)
- 4 (4.5%)
Working with files?  (Streams)
- 15 (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 78

Author Topic: Programming Challenges & Resources (#bay12prog) Initiative  (Read 95843 times)

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
Re: Programming Challenges & Resources (#bay12prog) Initiative
« Reply #825 on: January 27, 2011, 09:00:46 am »

I've seen another engine that said that it could make destructible objects from atom-like units with very simple properties. I insist that with atoms and forces it's possible to do molecules without rotation, mass distribution etc.

Addendum: this engine I guess I'd use it, if it were in Java...
Addendum 2: finally glanced under the hood, and... don't quote my post anywhere. Do you need to have inertia separate from velocity?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 27, 2011, 09:30:21 am »

Ahh, springy stuff! Can become CPU-costly, but fun. You could make the angle of the bonds a spring as well (so a spring between the two H's of water, making a triangle), and then it becomes a bouncy thingy! That engine sounds like fun, too, can't you just use that?

A springy engine seems hard to build though. Good luck! :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #827 on: January 27, 2011, 09:37:15 am »

Inertia will the product of mass and velocity. So if all your masses are identical, it won't matter. Otherwise it will.

for your other question... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell%E2%80%93Boltzmann_distribution.
Yes, my science focus was on chemistry at university, but I am pretty rusty.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 27, 2011, 09:49:07 am »

Inertia will the product of mass and velocity. So if all your masses are identical, it won't matter. Otherwise it will.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this. The product of mass and velocity is momentum, with "inertia" meaning slightly different things depending on what you're talking about.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #829 on: January 27, 2011, 09:58:45 am »

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this. The product of mass and velocity is momentum, with "inertia" meaning slightly different things depending on what you're talking about.
Yes. They are different, but the just of what I was saying is that if you don't care about mass, there is no reason to worry about inertia.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 27, 2011, 10:03:36 am »

@Nadaka: My masses are different. And I take them into account at each step. At least I try to.
I skimmed through the article, and I think I used a similar approach, but without the statistics, and while I haven't tested the results yet, I doubt its usefulness. It involves costly square roots and raising to powers, and I'd either need to set some arbitrary kinetic energy, or recalculate everything in SI, then either multiply everything each step to bring it to a displayable state, or scale the drawn image, and then it turns out that particles zip around at relativistic speeds. I guess the later could be mediated by carefully setting a temperature, but still... er, do you make anything out of all this rambling?

@Siquo: I don't know how to use a C++ library in Java. Do I have to rewrite it for the format?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 27, 2011, 10:39:03 am »

No idea, I don't do Java. :)

Here, I found you something cool:

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 27, 2011, 11:13:54 am »

Eh. I've seen something as cool in a program that my project supervisor (or however people who supervise undergraduate projects are called in your English countries) showed to me. It also had a resizable container, circles could be of different sizes, and it could have a flow. But speed was FPS-dependent. He said "they" (meaning he and somebody else) made it. He sent it to me as a kind of help... but without the source code. And he doesn't seem like a hobby programmer to me. Like at all. I think I either misheard, or it was partly bullshit. Although the program has an about menu, but the program is for Windows (vintage of around 2001), and uses a Cyrillic font, so any info is gibberish currently.

Anyway, slow your picture down a bit, and add user interaction, and you've a prototype for my game.

Why do I keep coming here each 15 minutes in the middle of coding? This is embarrassing.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 27, 2011, 11:19:57 am »

Why do I keep coming here each 15 minutes in the middle of coding? This is embarrassing.
:D I'm working and here, that's even worse.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: January 27, 2011, 12:48:39 pm »

Code Siquo CODE.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 27, 2011, 01:11:39 pm »

Meh, I just do nothing for a while, then CODE LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW and then go back to doing nothing again (aka "thinking about the subject"). I'm still the fastest of our 7 devs.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 27, 2011, 01:37:00 pm »

Hey you aren't supposed to be-

oh nevermind, thats fine.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 27, 2011, 03:38:04 pm »

I bet hes taking a break whilst his code's compiling (http://xkcd.com/303/:D

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 27, 2011, 04:21:00 pm »

I remember (13 yrs ago or something) when I used to make excel macros at a job I had. Sitting outside smoking, and I just had to point at the PC which was very obviously being very busy calculating all kinds of important numbers :D

Blank Expression

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 27, 2011, 06:45:27 pm »

I wish I could get one for free. The library I've been talking about is this. And I'm not so sure it was made by any degree coders, judging by the amount of todo's, and the inclusion of elastic joints which "do something odd. Might be useful for something?" It's been last updated in 2008. I've looked and haven't found a better physics library, at least in Java. And for 2D...
Jesus christ, that's Java 1.4. It's fuck-ancient. You can do better than that.

http://www.jbox2d.org/ - same source material as Phys2D (it's a Box2D port). I use Box2D for a number of small sims/trial projects; I do mine in .NET for the most part, but anybody moderately recent who inherits from the Box2D framework is probably in good shape.
http://jbullet.advel.cz/ - JBullet is almost certainly way more than you need, but if you want something designed by top-shelf devs, the Bullet system is where you go. (Bullet was developed by Havok refugees.)
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 78