Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions about bedrooms and dining halls.  (Read 431 times)

Majortom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A few questions about bedrooms and dining halls.
« on: May 16, 2010, 07:24:29 pm »

Well first off I read the newb friendly guide that was stickied and read a lot from the wiki, but there are a few things I’m not too sure on. Do you really need to assign every single dwarf in your fort a bed? It said something about “happy thoughts” but is there a real noticeable difference? Also how many tables should a dining hall have? I was making one per dwarf and my dining hall quickly took up quite a bit of space. And last thing, are chairs really necessary in dining halls? Sorry for all the noob questions :)

jcrites

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions about bedrooms and dining halls.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 07:34:56 pm »

Well first off I read the newb friendly guide that was stickied and read a lot from the wiki, but there are a few things I’m not too sure on. Do you really need to assign every single dwarf in your fort a bed? It said something about “happy thoughts” but is there a real noticeable difference? Also how many tables should a dining hall have? I was making one per dwarf and my dining hall quickly took up quite a bit of space. And last thing, are chairs really necessary in dining halls? Sorry for all the noob questions :)

Hello,

Do you really need to assign every single dwarf in your fort a bed?

You don't need to assign dwarves to beds.  If you have created bedrooms, dwarves will "claim" them when they sleep there.  Just make sure you have created bedrooms with all the necessities (a bed, generally at least 3 tiles of space, and a private space created by a floor or hatch).

Assignment is only necessary if you want to give dwarves certain rooms (for example, nobles).  You could have a "presidential suite" with lots of nice furniture, engraved walls, etc., that you assign unhappy dwarves to temporarily to boost their spirits.

It said something about “happy thoughts” but is there a real noticeable difference?

Dwarves are happier the nicer their bedroom is.  A three-tile bedroom will suffice to keep them content.  You can go up from there, by increasing size, adding furniture and improving its quality, smoothing or engraving its walls, putting objects in the room that match the dwarves preferences, etc.

And last thing, are chairs really necessary in dining halls?

I believe so.  Chairs are needed by the table for dwarves to sit and eat.  They won't starve without chairs or tables, but I think they're needed for the dwarves to be content.  Otherwise they get unhappy thoughts like "couldn't find a chair".

I don't think you need a 1-1 ratio of tables/chairs to dwarves; just have a good number.  Watch to see how many dwarves are eating at a time.

Also a tip:  smooth the walls of the "great hall" and you'll make the dwarves happy.

Majortom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions about bedrooms and dining halls.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 07:53:24 pm »

Thank you very much.