Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32

Author Topic: Shallow Space(a card based ship combat game)  (Read 24692 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Shallow Space(a card based ship combat game)
« Reply #165 on: May 18, 2010, 08:36:33 pm »

why? Because we're not attacking you?  :P whoops. Well, at least I know how to fight you off.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 18, 2010, 08:37:00 pm »

damn vultures!!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2010, 08:41:40 pm »

why? Because we're not attacking you?  :P whoops. Well, at least I know how to fight you off.
The only way to effectively fight us off is by boarding us and scribbling Imperial Guard propaganda and Space Marine sayings everywhere in our ship.

Well, that and plasma charges.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #168 on: May 19, 2010, 01:25:57 am »

I play Redshirt, then run to wherever I need to be to use Plasma Grenades or whatever it is I have then use it on Martha.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2010, 01:54:47 am »

I play Redshirt, then run to wherever I need to be to use Plasma Grenades or whatever it is I have then use it on Martha.
You can play redshirt, but not plasma grenades unless you want to heavily damage one of your own ship's sections. Get a boarding card before worry about using that. Or get boarded, one of the two...
 Also, don't forget you can swap a card.

σ        σ        σ        σ 

Roll over the ship sections and you'll see exactly what they are.(acronym tags)
Turn: S.A.S. Dragontooth
Spoiler: Martha(ship 1) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Enigma(ship 2) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:24:17 am by SHAD0Wdump »

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2010, 02:05:44 am »

Maybe you could somehow separate the ship-to-ship cards from the ones that can only be used in boarding actions?
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2010, 02:09:08 am »

Fine, I swap it instead.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 19, 2010, 02:12:23 am »

Maybe you could somehow separate the ship-to-ship cards from the ones that can only be used in boarding actions?
I think I might have a solution... but it would be a major gameplay change for the game. I think it should make it a hell of a lot more fun...

But that should probably wait until next game.(yes, I plan on running multiple games)

I'm thinking about making the center hull of each ship a teleporter room, going into it and useing it would allow you to do exactly the same thing as the boarding card, enter a enemy ship in a random location provided the shields are down.
 I suppose then I could make the boarding card allow you to enter a enemy ship even while the shields are up.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:16:47 am by SHAD0Wdump »

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2010, 02:15:53 am »

But that should probably wait until next game.(yes, I plan on running multiple games)
Well, if this one is successful, there's no reason not to :)
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2010, 02:17:09 am »

>_> Edited my previous post with my plan...

Oh... and...
Turn: S.A.S. Dragontooth
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:24:32 am by SHAD0Wdump »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 19, 2010, 06:14:24 am »

I'm going to cast Summon Redshirt.
I'll then go to the Left Pod and use Repair 2.
After that, I'll trade-in my Heal card.

Volatar anticipated being offline for the turn, and told us he would use both of his Summon Redshirt cards and trade-in a Heal.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 19, 2010, 06:49:32 am »

I play Aimed Shot and fire both lasers at Martha's bridge, then exchange a nano-repair

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #177 on: May 19, 2010, 07:10:45 am »

Oh, awesome. I'll go then.

EDIT @ Nirur who posted while I was writing my post: I am here actually  ;)

"RED ALERT! RED ALERT! ALL HANDS TO BATTLE STATIONS!"

As if the siren had not woken me up, the captain added to the volume level with his exclamation over the ships intercom. His voice had a certain edge to it, and was pitched quite higher than usual. This usually happened when he was stressed. There was a betting pool for when his voice would finally crack.

Regardless of how rude the awakening was, my reflexes kicked in and before I had blinked I was in my Vac suit. The helmet clicked onto the hook at the top of my spine, ready to slam down on my head sealing me inside automatically the moment the room's pressure dropped, or whenever I pressed the override button to seal my suit up myself. The automatic seal was notorious for failing, so I had developed the habit of sealing it myself at the first sign of damage to the section around me. Too many Ensign's had failed to understand that idea.

I made sure my hair was well inside my suit. It was already in a tight polytail, but it was always good to be sure. I kept my hair at exactly the maximum length the Safeholdian Star Navy allowed, but I still wished it could be longer. On the other hand I did understand the practicality of the rule. Getting one's hair pulled out by an angry Vac suit helmet is not a fun experience.

Before I left my quarters I paused for a moment over the red medkit attached to the lid of my footlocker. A split second later I was out the door, having left the medkit behind.

As I rocketed into the hallway two reds appeared from out of no where, "Lieutenant Commander Volatar, we're here to assist you."

"Just you two?" I raised my eyebrows.

"We're the only ones who were nearby sir." His eyes flickering down for just a second. I mentally rolled my eyes. There were not many women on board, but those that were, were issued rather... tighter Vac suits then the men. I made a mental note to have a word with the quartermaster on the one.

"By the fact that your not on the bridge, I suppose this isn't a drill is it?" The other Ensign asked me.

"You are correct. Lets get going then." I began running down the hallway towards the lift.

As I reached an intersection two more Ensigns appeared carrying a box. From the way they held it, it looked rather heavy.

Knowing how heavy it actually was, I grabbed it with one arm and threw it into the nearest closet. It made a hollow sound.

"You two, your with me." I barked before the two could gulp.

I hit my comm, "Captain, whats the situation?"

"We seem to have encountered no less than three other ships, but they are not the Gbaba, I repeat, not the Gbaba."

"Then who the h-" I broke off as the ship rocked from a hit. "Who the hell is shooting at us sir? ....Sir?"

"Sorry, I was returning fire. We don't know yet. We are trying to figure that out." he replied after a few seconds, then broke the connection.

"Commander Torir to Damage control on the port beam cannon." The captain rang out over the intercomm.

"What do we do?" One of the reds panted, finally catching up to me. My stride is legendary for its length, and the other three Ensign's were still far behind, even running to catch up.

I checked my sidearm, "We fight."

(tl;dr: Play 2x Redshirt, Discard 1x Heal, No Movement.)

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 07:12:35 am by Volatar »
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 19, 2010, 07:46:51 am »

gah, damn vultures, you'll all see what we got reserved for you

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 19, 2010, 01:22:33 pm »

Roleplayers, always roleplayers... (note: I don't have anything against roleplayers, of course)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32