Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Industrializing Hauling work  (Read 2953 times)

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Industrializing Hauling work
« on: May 16, 2010, 03:43:29 pm »

Ok, ive been hit with this idea, and wondering if this can be possible.

I was building a nice big tower for a prison/dungeon and was begining to get really tired of waiting for my dwarfs to run to my latest  quarry for this particular rock (which was quite far away) that was out side the fortress proper. It would take my dwarves a good thirty seconds to come back with the rock, and i only had about 4 masons. so it would take two minutes to build a 1X4 wall segment.
Not cool
I know i should be pateint, but damnit, i dont think patience is very dwarfy
SO heres my solution
a long cain of bridges leading twords the general work site, the haulers would only have to bring stone to the nearest bridge, than once it filled up with about 50 or so rocks, launch them to the next, and to the next and ect. untill the stone reaches its destination, cutting out all the pathing/ initial time from having to get all the way to the quarry from the work site several times. Now 50 rocks will reach the cite as apposed to one being hefted by Urist Mcthirsty or Urist Mcpartytilltheendofdays.
So, anyone attempt somthing like this?
did it work?
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Industrializing Hauling work
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 03:45:03 pm »

My solution: Give all your dwarves the masonry labor, and set workshop preferences to only let the good ones use them.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 03:51:30 pm »

Pulling the lever would probably get a random dwarf from the bottom of your fortress to climb up, outside, maybe even throw up as well. Taking him twice as long...
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 03:52:46 pm »

My solution: Give all your dwarves the masonry labor, and set workshop preferences to only let the good ones use them.

I do this. Plus workshop jobs seems to have priority over construction jobs, so it's rare the two intermingle unless the workshops aren't busy.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 05:48:38 pm »

I always plan a bit ahead and set up a stockpile of rock near the construction site, or even *at* the construction site.
What I did once I wanted to build a patterned floor was set up e.g. an Olivine pile on exactly the tiles I wanted to build olivine floor on, and then remove the pile designations once all the stone was in place.

I wish it was easy to set up transportation chains like it automatically happens in Settlers II. One hauler takes care of hauling on one small streak, moving goods between two "stations".

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 06:02:54 pm »

We should be able to make conveyor belts. Dwarves should have the technology to make them, just some leather stretched out over some gears.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 06:54:36 pm »

drawbridges (used to?) throw things randomly regardless of which direction they raised in, so that idea wouldn't work out so well. you can make a bunch of blocks, bin them, then move the bins to a stockpile near to the construction site.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 08:02:13 pm »

Yeahhhh i tryed out my idea, and yes..the rocks seems to do what ever they very well please, one actually made it to the second bridge...
the second?
Killed a male dog
The only male dog
that i had just traded for
and id post a pic, but im not savvy with remembering to take screens, so just take my word
its too stupid to make up. :-\
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 08:08:20 pm »

It is made up. Flying objects don't deal damage.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 08:14:27 pm »

Bridges can work... if you build walls on all sides of them so that any rock flinging in the wrong direction will just get flung again and again and again until it goes the right direction. This can work if you don't mind half of your rocks getting "squished".

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 08:30:02 pm »

This can work if you don't mind half of your rocks getting "squished".

That's arguably a good thing. Especially if you have incredible surplus-producing farms and no dirt to dig out for stockpiles. Or just don't want to deal with all the lag from having them around.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 08:38:11 pm »

Than prehaps the dog was crushed by the bridge, or god knows what because i did indeed have a dead dog on my hands.  although i dont think it was the bridge because there was a corpse, and as we all know the dwarven atom smasher destroys all matter. but prehaps i was alittle to quick to declare the dog dead due to the rocks, i mean, c'mon woudlent YOU want to belive it was the rock when you see a dead dog right infront of the rock launching bridge?
i mean
really.

Although thanks for telling me that the rocks wont deal damage, because my next idea was to make a massive scatterd projectile-flinging catapult of doom...
maybie some day
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:40:05 pm by Washcloth »

DuckBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 12:49:52 am »

Because I enjoy tooting my own horn, this thread has working conveyor belt designs.  Though by working, I don't mean working particularly well, just... working eventually.  Faster than a straight bridge surrounded by walls with random walk items, but not exactly fast.  All items are guaranteed to exit the conveyor belt... eventually. 

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=46509.msg925778#msg925778

Not really sure whats in this thread anymore, but if you just want the high level summary:

Bridges shoot objects in random directions, in straight lights, these straight lines can include shooting straight upwards (or downwards, though you'd almost never be able to tell), or diagonally upwards as well. 

Bridges shoot creatures in random directions, in straight lines, these lines cannot shoot upwards

Max length retracting bridges shoot items 3 or 4 spots maximum, but if they hit an obstacle, they immediately fall straight down. 

Max length raising bridges shoot up to 11 spaces if memory serves, but crush everything below them when they come back down.  (and crush anything on the side they raise up on instantly)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 01:07:42 am »

i mean, c'mon woudlent YOU want to belive it was the rock when you see a dead dog right infront of the rock launching bridge?

The dog was probably on the bridge when it was raised and was thrown into an obstacle or injured severely enough that it bled to death. If it was close to the bridge, then it was probably the first bridge that tossed it rather than the second.

Of course, it might have died from other causes (especially if the caravan would have passed through freezing or scorching lands while heading to the fort) and the body was simply sent to the garbage dump instead of the refuse pile where it was tossed along with the boulders; that used to happen to me fairly often in 40d and was a rather annoying problem when dead vermin were tossed into the quantum rock stockpile three floors down rather than the refuse stockpile right next door.

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 05:13:31 am »

Hey, you seem to know more about it than i do :D
but i was thinking that maybie it was launched from a bridge after i re-thought the rocks killing it.
Pages: [1] 2