Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Cool Fortress Constructions  (Read 8279 times)

Darragh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Cool Fortress Constructions
« on: May 16, 2010, 01:38:46 pm »

So, what cool projects are you working on in your fort? From building temples to...Well, I dunno really.
So far I have two things I want to do.

Firstly, as I posted in the other thread (which i locked because i couldnt find the delete button; if there is one maybe someone could tell me where it is) I want to collapse the entire world down a z-level. Dunno why.It'll probably make my computer explode or something.

As for the second one, I was thinking of doing a room 8x8, with alternating black and white tiles. A chessboard. I would put coffins in there, with peasants in the front row as pawns, knights and rooks would be dead warriors, the king and queen  being the main noble dudes (havent got to nobles yet so i dunno if it would work just like that), and maybe bishops being lesser nobles. Also I dont know how the flooring bit would work but I'm sure theres a way,right? It'd be like marble and obsidian or something...

So, any ideas?

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
Re: Cool Fortress Constructions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 01:47:30 pm »

Not in this fortress, but eventually I'm going to gen. a work with a lot of Z levels for the sky, then I'm going to build a huge tower that has my whole fortress in it, preferably on a glacier or in the tundra. Then I'll make 4 connected towers and a whole right through the middle of the tower straight down to the magma sea/HFS. I then drop a corpse/artifact/elf etc. down through the whole fortress...

I've attempted this a few times already, but I always seem to run out of food. :|
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 01:55:52 pm »

Its a relatively minor project, but I'm making a trader drowner that utilizes a waterfall. Need to finish planning it out though due only having one z level between top and bottom.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 01:59:09 pm »

In every fortress I ever make, I find the highest point and build a tower up to the max z-level.  In my current fortress it's made entirely of marble, but it's not yet finished.  I also generally make an entrance hall several z-levels high with tons of fancy statues and stuff.  It looks very impressive in 3D visualizers.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 02:07:47 pm »

Giant steel warship. Currently digging out the drydock and training up a blacksmith on zinc bins (to hold my post-fey metalcrafter's gold goblets)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 02:18:51 pm »

redirection of magma to destroy any and all caravans
Sig to be updated momentarily.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 02:19:19 pm »

I'm making a gigantic, symmetrical fortress. It is the shit. And it is completely inefficient; just the way I like it.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 02:57:45 pm »

I've got two fortresses running atm; in one of them, I plan to make a molten gold moat.  The top level will be a moat filled with gold nuggets.  Underneath the floor of that moat, I will run magma, so that, in theory, the magma should heat the upper moat and melt the gold.  I know the gold won't act as a flow, so I'm debating leave ways into it so things will path through and get killed by molten gold.

Urist the Dwarven Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 03:04:38 pm »

I'm building a obsidian tower in the middle of my fresh water lake.  At the moment I'm still constructing the magma pipe out to the lake to create the obsidian island that will be the base of my tower.
Super creatures and the immortal undead are problems but thats what we got magma for!

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 03:05:34 pm »

I just like to make long hallways in my entrance, and block the end, behind that is fortifications that are reached from a barracks deep below the ground, if intruders get past the stairs, they have to do a very long U to get to my marksdwarves, and will most likely be chopped to pieces by swords. This is all assuming they get past the walls with a nice tower/bunker overlooking the cliff I'm dug into.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 03:15:31 pm »

I'm making a gigantic, symmetrical fortress. It is the shit. And it is completely inefficient; just the way I like it.

heh i also tend to do that SYMMETRY FOR THE WIN!!

I've got two fortresses running atm; in one of them, I plan to make a molten gold moat.  The top level will be a moat filled with gold nuggets.  Underneath the floor of that moat, I will run magma, so that, in theory, the magma should heat the upper moat and melt the gold.  I know the gold won't act as a flow, so I'm debating leave ways into it so things will path through and get killed by molten gold.

is it possible to let nemies be encased in gold?

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 03:34:39 pm »

is it possible to let nemies be encased in gold?

Cooling the gold to try to encase them would probably be difficult, at least in my currently planned setup.  It is probably possible to make a pit with molten gold, and a drainage system for the magma underneath, but I think then you'd just end up with either an enemies with "gold covering" on every body part, or a corpse with "gold covering" on every body part.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 03:40:10 pm »

Is gold melt-able or do you need to change a raw?
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 06:16:03 pm »

A long stretch of retractable bridges across a major river. Should an enemy try to invade, the bridges, linked to a single lever, will retract, dumping all the enemies into a raging river.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 06:18:30 pm »

A long stretch of retractable bridges across a major river. Should an enemy try to invade, the bridges, linked to a single lever, will retract, dumping all the enemies into a raging river.

Don't forget the waterfall ending with spikes.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5