Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No proper options?!  (Read 460 times)

Euarchus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
No proper options?!
« on: May 16, 2010, 12:10:25 pm »

Hi all, I recently took the Dwarf Fortress plunge, and am enjoying it a lot, but I've come across something I've never seen before.

I can't set offices (like broker etc.), create a military or set labour preferences beyond mining, hauling, other, and healthcare.

All my dwarves seem to have a load of "kills" of dwarves, humans and elves from world generation.

It's year 2 now, but obviously the wolves will be at my door soon if I cannot get an army together...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No proper options?!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 12:12:34 pm »

I can't set offices (like broker etc.), create a military or set labour preferences beyond mining, hauling, other, and healthcare.

Did you somehow embark without an expedition leader? I've heard of that bug going around and I think that's what happened.

Euarchus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 12:24:45 pm »

Is there any solution to this? Could I edit a file to make a dwarf the leader?

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 12:43:21 pm »

As far as I know, there is no other solution than try to reach the population requirement of mayor (which in this case is not possible?) or abandon.

The kills are not related to this problem, it's just small bug which causes dwarves to be "reincarnations" of mega beasts and such. It should not affect anything else than the kill list.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 12:52:16 pm »

Did you somehow embark without an expedition leader? I've heard of that bug going around and I think that's what happened.

As has been said before if you're still learning DF you may want to play the more stable version 40d.  In this version, I recommend you only use your military for backup and use various non-military traps to be the first line of defense against ambushes and sieges.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 12:54:12 pm »

Something that may work is to add [ELECTED] to the expedition leader in the entitys. It helps if your expedition leader is killed, although I'm not sure about this bug.
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.