Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steam and its properties  (Read 904 times)

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Steam and its properties
« on: May 16, 2010, 11:55:39 am »

So, Ive lurked the forums for a long time now, and just made an account. To ask all you dwarfy fellows a simple couple of questions on steam.

Firstly, if steam fills an entire enclosed space, but has a opening in the roof, will it flow up? (for instance out of a coal factory type stack)
Also, dose this apply with miasma?

Secondly, i know that steam dosent cause horrible blood blistering pain anymore...but what if you have lava underneath say... a corridor, and realease steam into it. will it heat up?
These answers are vital to some very importaint weapon reaserch im conducting.
Thanks in advanced!
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam and its properties
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 12:03:52 pm »

I believe what you are looking for is the dwarven microwave. Its basic principle is that water coverings on a creature conduct heat, even if the creatures don't, and the water coverings will pass on the heat to the creature.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 12:05:59 pm »

I had two chimneys in my kitchen to get red of miasma, but I rebuilt a floor over them after as once a tile has been 'Outside' it is never inside again, so miasma disappears when it touches the tile, I don't know about steam though...
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 12:18:43 pm »

Hmmm.. interesting

Ive seen steam travel into 'outside' tiles from inside tiles with out vanishing...atleast i think..
and as far as the dwarven microwave is concerned, thats not quite what I was thinking
let me elaborate

I had a nice little fort going...when death in the form of giant winged beasts came
giant eagles  :(
three of them  :'(
i was  unlucky, having only a pop of 13 (an unlucky number at that) and the eagles came in and tore the place to ruins.
Now im thinking about making a giant steam boiler several layers underground, funneling it to some stacks, and launching the steam up in a sort of steam wall to create a 'no fly zone' boiling any eagles or harpies or what have you before they have much of a chance of causing chaos.
any input on this idea?
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 12:26:21 pm »

Yeah, I saw miasma in my chimneys before, looked kinda cool actually.

It sounds like a good idea, you would need magma and water, but I'm not sure how you can get it without blocking your 'pipes' with obsidian, maybe better off with magma coming in at the top and going down the bottom of the corridor.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 12:43:56 pm »

OP, important counter-question: how do you intend to generate that much steam? By pouring water onto magma? That will get you a very different result. Just being near magma won't reach boiling temperature either.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 12:53:16 pm »

The only problem here is that no matter how you try, you will create obsidian as a side effect, limiting the amount of "Steam shots" you have before you have to channel it all out.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 01:36:17 pm »

Yeah, ive been thinking of that.
Prehaps just making it a one shot deal, but spreading that one shot for several amounts of length and locations.
almost like a  orgon.