Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Well, I go to the doctors...  (Read 8847 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Well, I go to the doctors...
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2010, 03:53:29 pm »

Nobody ever taught me this in Grade 8.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2010, 04:00:24 pm »

I said "basic" for a reason.

Also, merely the fact that iron loose his magnetic properties above Curie temperature would suffice to rule iron out.

But my point is not the nature of the suggestion but the fact itself that the suggestion has been made.

Edit: tl;dr Do not discard a scientific theory because you feel like it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 04:18:37 pm by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2010, 04:02:33 pm »

I said "basic" for a reason.

Also, merely the fact that iron loose his magnetic properties above Curie temperature would suffice to rule iron out.

But my point is not the nature of the suggestion but the fact itself that the suggestion has been made.

OF COURSE! If he had stopped for even a moment to consider that iron loses its magnetic properties above Curie Temperature, he would have understood why what he said was silly! What an idiot!

There is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.

Such as this question:

why rule out the metal in the Sun?

and this answer:

I'll make sure to interrupt my course of astronomy next year to share your revolutionary idea. I'm sure they never thought about it that way.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2010, 04:26:28 pm »

Also, I'm wondering if pathos could be both Armok and Hungry.
Armok, Hungry, AND Grakelin.
I'M SPARTACUS!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Pathos

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2010, 04:33:19 pm »

I'M SPARTACUS!

That always made me think "WILL THE REAL SLIM SPARTACUS PLEASE STAND UP? PLEASE STAND UP?"

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2010, 04:46:53 pm »

Y'all act like you never seen a Thracian before
Jaws all on the marble tile like Ceasar, Brutus burst in through the door
And started stabbin' his ass like Kratos in a toga
Callin' all his buddies from around the Agora

And the boys all in the Senate goin' "Ah wait, no way"
But it gets better and better, I'ma make you pray
That you ain't never run outta lions for me to drown and take
While I'm swimmin' the Colisseum that I made a blood-filled lake

Half of you centurions can't stomach me, let alone stand me
All y'all Roman sets and costumes hella campy
Like I'm afraid a' cardboard ya done spray-painted
And all the buffet tables laden wit' wine that's awfully tainted

I should have stopped at the first part
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2010, 04:53:29 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2010, 04:54:42 pm »

You should never have started, Leo.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2010, 12:16:19 am »

I should also note I never said "iron"... Ferromagnetics aren't the only kind of magnetics. Also, I admit I've skipped the research phase of this discussion, but doesn't fusion primarily occur in the mid-upper layers of the Sun? Heavy fusion products that don't reach escape velocity due to heat will inevitably be drawn into the center, and we don't know quite enough about things at the center of any celestial body (including Earth) to completely rule out the possibility of a cold solid metal core existing there. Well, not as much "cold" as "below curie temperature" since magnetism is the point of the discussion, but you get my point.

edit: And yeah, we were never taught much about the details of fusion in our school. Probably out of fear we'd start making tokamaks in the school's basement. :P
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 12:17:56 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2010, 10:13:54 am »

I should also note I never said "iron"... Ferromagnetics aren't the only kind of magnetics. Also, I admit I've skipped the research phase of this discussion, but doesn't fusion primarily occur in the mid-upper layers of the Sun? Heavy fusion products that don't reach escape velocity due to heat will inevitably be drawn into the center, and we don't know quite enough about things at the center of any celestial body (including Earth) to completely rule out the possibility of a cold solid metal core existing there. Well, not as much "cold" as "below curie temperature" since magnetism is the point of the discussion, but you get my point.

edit: And yeah, we were never taught much about the details of fusion in our school. Probably out of fear we'd start making tokamaks in the school's basement. :P

You're not going to get a cold iron core except for on a geologically dead planet. The universe is not old enough to have completely dead stars yet either. Fusion mostly stops at carbon, and old white dwarf stars that finally cool down will actually eventually form into gigantic diamond like things. Most likely.

But why would the core of a geologically active planet be cold? The further you dig down the hotter things get. Dig down deep enough and you find magma. Deeper you dig = hotter it gets, which means that the core is extremely hot, though due to the pressure, it is probably also solid.

Same with the sun. Why would the sun have a cold core? That doesn't even make sense considering the gigantic amount of energy the sun is producing.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2010, 10:23:17 am »

there was a nazi mystic who believed that stars had ice inside, or something like that
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2010, 11:05:05 am »

there was a nazi mystic who believed that stars had ice inside, or something like that
...Wait, what? Was he executed in fast and brutal manner?
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2010, 11:14:57 am »

Nope, in fact his ideas survive. See, he believed that the sun was and ice lense focusing the shining glory of god. I have a whole book on this stuff and believe me, the nazi's had some way weirder ideas, like the idea that we're living inside a hollow earth.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2010, 11:47:08 am »

Nope, in fact his ideas survive. See, he believed that the sun was and ice lense focusing the shining glory of god. I have a whole book on this stuff and believe me, the nazi's had some way weirder ideas, like the idea that we're living inside a hollow earth.

And they were making plans for a space station that would collect solar energy and beam a laser down to destroy cities on the Earth. The air on the station would be regenerated using pumpkin plants!

Also they tried to kill Hellboy. Which is just silly.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2010, 11:59:46 am »

And they were making plans for a space station that would collect solar energy and beam a laser down to destroy cities on the Earth. The air on the station would be regenerated using pumpkin plants!

Also they tried to kill Hellboy. Which is just silly.

Yes, though they did estimate that building the orbital space station/death star would take around 200 years to complete.

The amusing thing is that the Hellboy comics/movies and Wolfenstein games are not all that fictional. Yes, the Nazis actually DID try all of that crazy stuff. Orbital space battlestations, land battleships, and occult out the wazoo. Robot zombie armies? Pretty sure they looked into that.

Its probably why they lost the war. They spent way too much time and money on the crazy stuff instead of things that would work. Hitler also liked to micromanage things. He was an absolutely brilliant politician and orator but a horrible strategist and tactician. If he left the whole fighting the war thing to competent generals, like Rommel, WWII would have had a very different outcome. Probably a stalemate. Europe would likely be controlled entirely by Nazi Germany, Soviet Union would still be around, but they couldn't invade overseas as that is a massive logistical nightmare that usually only works if your opponent is an idiot. Patton's inflatable rubber tanks allowed the Normandy landings to succeed because Hitler was afraid of Patton.

In other words, go Nazi robot zombies, yay! Spend ALL of your budget on them please.  :D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8