Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Well, I go to the doctors...  (Read 8862 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Well, I go to the doctors...
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2010, 02:41:37 pm »

Don't want to sound like an "oppose everything!" kinda person, but why rule out the metal in the Sun? With a gravity well THAT large, think how much stuff could've fallen into it during its life. Even our moon, much smaller and less long-lived, looks like it took an interstellar artillery barrage.

Buuut yeah, let's keep astrophysics elsewhere.

My, my, I'll make sure to interrupt my course of astronomy next year to share your revolutionary idea. I'm sure they never thought about it that way.

On topic, I can't think of anything that can produce such result.

Also, I'm wondering if pathos could be both Armok and Hungry.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2010, 03:11:40 pm »

My, my, I'll make sure to interrupt my course of astronomy next year to share your revolutionary idea. I'm sure they never thought about it that way.

Sarcasm is only becoming in this situation if you actually share the knowledge of why you think metal can't be in the sun. Saying "I'm in an astronomy course next year, so you are wrong" is pretty dumb. Even if you had already completed your course, it would be better to explain why the sun does not have metal in it, rather than be a jackass.

Does anyone else have a sneaky suspicion that Armok IS Hungry? Does anyone have a picture of Armok to disprove this? I mean, Hungry's avatar is just an angrier version of Armok's.

I posited this theory before. Armok was quite upset and responded with the quote in my signature.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Pathos

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2010, 03:17:59 pm »

Does anyone else have a sneaky suspicion that Armok IS Hungry? Does anyone have a picture of Armok to disprove this? I mean, Hungry's avatar is just an angrier version of Armok's.

I posited this theory before. Armok was quite upset and responded with the quote in my signature.

Armok is not evil, therefore he is not Hungry. Yeah, they're either friends (lol), Hungry is Armok's split personality or Armok's actually trolling us intensely. I don't think there's any question of this, simply due to the fact that Armok said Hungry is evil. I wouldn't count stupidity as being an example of being evil.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2010, 03:19:34 pm »

Also, I'm wondering if pathos could be both Armok and Hungry.
Armok, Hungry, AND Grakelin.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2010, 03:20:23 pm »

I'm interested as to why you think that.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Pathos

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2010, 03:21:41 pm »

I'm interested as to why you think that.

I think they're jok-

Forget it, I'm not explaining another joke on these forums.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2010, 03:23:24 pm »

I realize it's a joke, but I'm struggling to understand the path of the joke.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2010, 03:36:34 pm »

Don't want to sound like an "oppose everything!" kinda person, but why rule out the metal in the Sun? With a gravity well THAT large, think how much stuff could've fallen into it during its life. Even our moon, much smaller and less long-lived, looks like it took an interstellar artillery barrage.

Iron is poisonous to fusion. The more iron you have the more it inhibits fusion. There is of course some iron in the sun, but the vast, vast majority of it is light elements, mostly hydrogen, then helium, then lithium...  Going down the list you get to iron which is in tiny amounts. Just like it is in our bodies. There is only a tiny amount of ferrous metals in our blood, such that it does not react to magnets. This is why MRI's are harmless. Yes I'm sure the magnets react with the iron, but there is so little iron it doesn't matter.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2010, 03:39:41 pm »

Grakelin, and Sean, I was only expressing mild annoyance at the fact that Sean was questioning a well proved theory with no understanding of the question. It's not skeptical mind, it's arrogance and laziness.

Any understanding of ferromagnetic properties of iron would make obvious to him that his proposition is invalid (at least in the sense that a magnet, as in "iron atom roughly pointing in the same direction frozen in a solid" magnet, is causing the field, not in the sense of "weird dynamo happening in the center of the earth due to he interaction of the sun's magnetic field and the ferric core".
Yet then any understanding of stellar structure would do the trick).

If you don't know anything about something, learn. Don't come with an opinion out of nowhere.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2010, 03:47:21 pm »

Also, one should notice how both Armok and Hungry stopped posting recently.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2010, 03:47:38 pm »

Iron is poisonous to fusion. The more iron you have the more it inhibits fusion. There is of course some iron in the sun, but the vast, vast majority of it is light elements, mostly hydrogen, then helium, then lithium...  Going down the list you get to iron which is in tiny amounts. Just like it is in our bodies. There is only a tiny amount of ferrous metals in our blood, such that it does not react to magnets. This is why MRI's are harmless. Yes I'm sure the magnets react with the iron, but there is so little iron it doesn't matter.

Good work, Hyndis! You have come out as the intellectual of this thread! Five points to you for explaining a theory that the average layman knows nothing of, thus furthering academia and science! No points for Phmcw for trying to defend his sarcasm while still forgetting to explain what the obvious invalidation was. :(

Hyndis wins the thread! Phmcw does not.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2010, 03:49:17 pm »

I would contend that threads, like art and arson, are not an event where one can win, merely where one can, as an action, not fail.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2010, 03:50:29 pm »

The really interesting thing is that iron is the end result of both fusion and fission. Everything will eventually fuse or decay into iron. Going from heavier elements to lighter elements releases energy from nuclear decay. Fusing from lighter elements to heavier elements also releases energy. Until you hit iron.

Once you go past iron it consumes, not produces energy. This is why elements heavier than iron are only created by the deaths of stars where there is a gigantic amount of surplus energy that can for only a few moments fuse iron into heavier elements, like uranium. But then over time uranium will eventually decay back into iron. Eventually. You won't be around to see it happen.  ;D

Heavier elements can of course be created with particle accelerators, but its the same idea as a supernova. Pump huge amounts of energy into it to create unstable but extremely heavy elements. They tend to not last very long.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2010, 03:50:46 pm »

People fail threads all the time.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2010, 03:52:10 pm »

Good work, Hyndis! You have come out as the intellectual of this thread! Five points to you for explaining a theory that the average layman knows nothing of, thus furthering academia and science! No points for Phmcw for trying to defend his sarcasm while still forgetting to explain what the obvious invalidation was. :(

Hyndis wins the thread! Phmcw does not.

This is 8th grade science class stuff.

:(
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8